Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:20 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps something in Oregon, Washington state or Maine.
She said conservative. Oregon, Washington state, and Maine are NOT conservative.
No, OR/WA do have a lot of conservative places... The only issue is the depressing/dead feel factor.

Maine OTOH has places like Bar Harbor, Freeport, Kennenbunkport, Kittery (at which point, OP should also include Portsmouth NH), et. c which is a bit more "lively" than any small OR/WA coastal town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 02:37 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
In general that is true, but at least in WA and OR there are plenty of conservative small towns. The coastal towns along the Pacific generally are conservative. The larger cities, are not.
Thank you! States can vary, in spite of a generalized view of them.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie3618 View Post
I have lived in the Binghamton, NY area my whole life except for college. I got both my bachelors and masters degree at a small private college in NY and have moved back to Binghamton to live with my parents. I am more than ready to get away from this area. The whole area feels dead to me and is just plain depressing. My only issue is I have no idea where to move to. I am in no way against changing states. The ideal town for me would be a town that has good schools, is ethnically similar (I'm white), a more conservative town. I would love to live in a coastal town with an ocean near by. Preferably a medium sized town. The job factor is not a major deal as I am a family nurse practioner. I am truly open to any ideas.
What about a small town on Lake Ontario not too far from Buffalo or Rochester?

Old 04-11-2012, 02:50 PM

A major sleeper could be Holland Michigan. It is conservative, mostly White, is on Lake Michigan and is actually in a growing area. Holland Michigan

Grand Haven and South Haven in Michigan may work as well. South Haven

Home

Old 05-06-2012, 12:34 PM

18 posts, read 25,804 times
YOu want to leave Binghamton? Really? Surprise Surprise Surprise IT's a vibrant thriving town with well educated people. Most of the residents are thrilled to be living in the area. Naturally there is a significant amount of snow but the community has made the most of long winters by ensuring that there is plenty to do regardless of the weather. With skating, winter festivals galore in the winter, and all the events on the river in the summer, you couldn't possibly have time available to do it all:Rent a boat, enjoy all the concerts, carnivals and festivals riverside, spend days just admiring the merchandise being sold in the funky and upscale gift shops and wonderful cafes that line the rivers. There is an abundance of cultural offerings-the latest greatest of any art makes Binghamton one of its first stops-from museums to dance; avant garde live theatre, theatre in the round, the most recent movies, film festivals directed by very famous people in the industry, a summer theatre festival that attracts the hottest from Broadway in a series of shows that starts late spring and goes through the first frost (August). Naturally cultural activities are not complete without fine dining. With high end restaurants lining the beautiful boulevards of the city, you can't miss! If you want something quicker or, shall we say easier on your wallet than the kind of restaurants you find reviewing in Cuisine, stop in and try some of the smaller gourmet offerings, snacks, canapés, finger food or topas at the always creatively decorated cafes that overlook the rivers. The people are always beaming with hospitality. A happier more content population would be hard to find outside the boarders of the Greater Binghamton area and those in service positions are always eager to share their life perspectives with the happy travelers. And, if you want to settle in for a few weeks, you may want to try out the local supermarkets with aisles of the freshest produce and most exquisite gourmet offerings you will find outside of the most exclusive Manhattan markets. Walk the aisles and sample the amazing assortment of cheeses, fruits and lovely pastries. The arrangements of the food in each aisle makes Balducci's look like it is for the hop polloi. And when your belly is full and your mind is occupied with images from a day of culture, stroll down the city streets in the early evening and amuse yourself by watching the well heeled residents who socialize and shop until the wee hours of the evening. Could there be a better place to spend the rest of your life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.