Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 02:43 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
That's what I thought. Carry more mail. Give us more discounted seats.
You're lucky you get a seat and they don't fill all the extra cabin space with more mail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 05:15 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
I'm not sure if it's changed, but USPS contracts out to private companies to transport their mail and packages long distances.

I know for flights, they use FedEx's planes.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,880 times
usps used to have planes, i know this bc i unloaded them for a company call evergreen eagle but fedex took over the contract in 2001, havent seen a usps plane since but i m a letter carrier so i know for a fact that usps delivers fedex and ups packages, in fact at my post office we have ups deliver them every day, but fed ex does fly the express mail on their aircraft

Old 08-19-2012, 10:00 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Whatever happened to AIR MAIL?! Remember? Those thin little light-weight envelopes with red and blue piping around the edges?

Old 08-19-2012, 10:14 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I have never seen this! I've worked in logistics and not that I don't believe you, but I can't say that I have ever seen UPS or Fed Ex passing packages to USPS.
As someone who works for the Post Office, I can assure you we do exactly that. Fedex and UPS drop off large numbers of parcels at our back dock several times a week and we deliver them. The parcels Fedex and UPS give us to deliver are the ones they have calculated are too unprofitable for them to deliver to the individual addresses so they give them to the USPS to deliver, and we make very little profit off them, while Fedex and UPS made their profit by delivering them to us and paying us a small fee, for their most unprofitable packages. You wonder why the Post Office is going down the tubes?

Old 08-20-2012, 03:50 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
I remember flying from LA to Hawaii and watching mail bags being loaded onto the plaine
that was back in mid 00's

Old 08-22-2012, 09:05 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Whatever happened to AIR MAIL?! Remember? Those thin little light-weight envelopes with red and blue piping around the edges?

Weren't those just for international airmail?

Old 08-22-2012, 01:15 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

"Air Mail within the United States was effectively ended as a distinct service on October 10, 1975 when all domestic intercity First Class mails began to be transported by air whenever practical and/or expeditious at the normal First Class rate. Domestic Air Mail as a separate class of service (and its rate structure) was formally eliminated by the successor to the Post Office Department, the United States Postal Service (USPS) on May 1, 1977.[11]

In June 2006 the United States Postal Service formally trademarked Air Mail (two words with capital first letters) along with Pony Express.[12] On May 14, 2007, Air Mail was incorporated into the classification First Class Mail International.[13][14]"

Taken from: Airmail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On a personal note, I stopped using the thin AirMail envelopes when I realized my mailings were well under the weight limit for the min. air mail stamp. Then I just used regular envelopes but stuck on a "Par Avion/Air Mail" sticker.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:27 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,190,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I have never seen this! I've worked in logistics and not that I don't believe you, but I can't say that I have ever seen UPS or Fed Ex passing packages to USPS. UPS has various hubs that receive and sort the packages and you normally see the scans taking place there. For example, when I order shoes from Zappos, they start out at Sparks, NV and are trucked to either Chicago or Dallas (Mesquite) where they are scanned and put on a truck to Austin.

I do know for a fact that the USPS uses commercial airlines as well as any and all freight carriers who will sell them space.
I worked for FedEx for 6 years. That's how it works. Actually as far as USPS delivering international shipments, they come to fedexs air port ramps and pick them up. For the smart posts, I used to deliver them to USPS all the time. I worked for express. I believe FedEx ground handles them now. When you order stuff from amazon and get free shipping, that's an example of FedEx moving USPSs packages.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:21 PM

367 posts, read 765,564 times
The Department of Homeland Security determined thirteen ounces of explosive was enough to down a plane. Item weighing less than that go on commercial flights and Express mail on Fedex planes without delay. Priority and International Mail fly. Priority Mail and the other classes of items are transported by contracted OTR's. The truck routes are set up so driver will go 250-300 miles in one direction and hook up to another trailer and haul mail back to their hub.

UPS and Fedex have smart post and solutions item left at a local Post Office six days a week for the carrier to deliver the "last mile". The P.O. is in reality the most reliable service and the other companies don't have to drive to remotes areas for a few deliveries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.