U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:29 AM

9,615 posts, read 4,384,155 times

Advertisements

They always capture my imagination. Forgotten streets that probably were once thriving. Gets me thinking about the far future. I usually like sci fi. And I always came up with a city where the buildings have gotten so tall, that only the people in extreme poverty live on the ground level and it's constantly dark and dangerous.

But anyway, I just see that these old buildings hold something beautiful. They can look ugly to the average person but to someone who likes to do digital art, the detail in the bricks, the aging look to it and the crumbling walls just give it alot of detail and just make me wanna photograph it. Even risking going to a dangerous street such as the going down to vermont passing wilshire to the south side of L.A. just to photograph this old boarded up church. Or also take photos of all the graffiti that's posted all up on the walls.

Only thing I don't like is knowing that the people there suffer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 09:30 AM

24,682 posts, read 48,321,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
They always capture my imagination. Forgotten streets that probably were once thriving. Gets me thinking about the far future. I usually like sci fi. And I always came up with a city where the buildings have gotten so tall, that only the people in extreme poverty live on the ground level and it's constantly dark and dangerous.

But anyway, I just see that these old buildings hold something beautiful. They can look ugly to the average person but to someone who likes to do digital art, the detail in the bricks, the aging look to it and the crumbling walls just give it alot of detail and just make me wanna photograph it. Even risking going to a dangerous street such as the going down to vermont passing wilshire to the south side of L.A. just to photograph this old boarded up church. Or also take photos of all the graffiti that's posted all up on the walls.

Only thing I don't like is knowing that the people there suffer.
I do, while others see old ruins I see history. Give me Philly any day over a city like Phoenix. One can spend hours just wandering down those old streets imagining how life was like 100 years ago.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:32 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,803,584 times
I do. I'm not sure what the draw to them is for me. Maybe its the quality and architecture of the past.

I was just walking home this past Saturday when I found an abandoned and falling apart stairway in the hillside I just had to walk up, and found a fenced off old bridge and cobblestone road that ran behind an apartment building. Just had to wonder what the road was once for and why it is no longer in use. I hope these old buildings stay around for future generations to see and enjoy, and not that they get torn down for some modern box monstrosity.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:38 AM

9,615 posts, read 4,384,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I do. I'm not sure what the draw to them is for me. Maybe its the quality and architecture of the past.

I was just walking home this past Saturday when I found an abandoned and falling apart stairway in the hillside I just had to walk up, and found a fenced off old bridge and cobblestone road that ran behind an apartment building. Just had to wonder what the road was once for and why it is no longer in use. I hope these old buildings stay around for future generations to see and enjoy, and not that they get torn down for some modern box monstrosity.
I know. The 70's and 80's were known for those cheap boxes. Now days we got huge glass crazily shaped... Things. Some look nice, definitely better than cement boxes. But wish an architect would still propose gothic style NYC buildings.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:10 AM

42,661 posts, read 77,723,967 times
I'm always fascinated by old rundown industrial buildings and factories.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:20 PM

4,640 posts, read 7,445,811 times
This is 'fascination' called urban exploration.

It's quite popular here in Detroit as most people can easily tell. I've personally never had the urge to go inside a building (as it's highly illegal and most of the structures are unsound, filled with toxic materials, and/or could have all sorts of criminal activities going on inside) but it's fascinating seeing a huge decaying factory and then to see people drive by on the freeway next to it as a part of their daily commute.

It is depressing though knowing what used to be and what could have been.

If you really want to satisfy your curiosity and possibly see the worst of urban decay (or get inspired, who knows), then this ought to be a good site to check out: Detroiturbex.com

Old 04-16-2012, 07:36 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,425,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
This is 'fascination' called urban exploration.

It's quite popular here in Detroit as most people can easily tell. I've personally never had the urge to go inside a building (as it's highly illegal and most of the structures are unsound, filled with toxic materials, and/or could have all sorts of criminal activities going on inside) but it's fascinating seeing a huge decaying factory and then to see people drive by on the freeway next to it as a part of their daily commute.

It is depressing though knowing what used to be and what could have been.

If you really want to satisfy your curiosity and possibly see the worst of urban decay (or get inspired, who knows), then this ought to be a good site to check out: Detroiturbex.com
Love that site, especially the section on Cass Tech. +1 for you.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:44 PM

2,105 posts, read 3,115,549 times
Every time I see a thread like this it makes me think of Cairo, Illinois. Definitely a sad town and those who didn't know the history would never understand how important it was to the region and how high class the shopping and dining was back in the day.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 PM

23,417 posts, read 33,235,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Every time I see a thread like this it makes me think of Cairo, Illinois. Definitely a sad town and those who didn't know the history would never understand how important it was to the region and how high class the shopping and dining was back in the day.
Cairo jumped into my head, too!
Along with North St Louis.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:03 PM

14,743 posts, read 29,978,481 times
No. I like places that are and look NEW. I dislike old, in-town neighborhoods where it's cool to live and where you'll spend what you paid for the place to fix it up. And generally, the older buildings in the area are equally depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.