Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 07:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Midwest officially starts at Ohio,
"Officially"? By whose definition? Maybe the census bureau's, but a lot of people consider Ohio the east, esp. eastern Ohio, which has its ties to Pittsburgh. A lot of people consider Michigan the east, as well. It also depends on where you are. In California, Illinois is considered "back east". In Colorado, Ohio and Michigan are considered "the east" by many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 10:28 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
People from Buffalo, Rochester, Cleveland and Milwaukee call me "Taaaam" instead of "Tom". I'd say the accent of upstate NY is more similar to that of the Midwest than that of the North East.
Eh, that is related to the northern cities shift accent, and western New York is included in that accent zone. The Tom example is classic It is also applicable to "Daaaan" instead of "Don".

Old 09-17-2007, 10:31 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
This was my take on it in another post:

I think New York, along with Texas and to a lesser degree, Florida, have the most diverse regional areas. It's a very difficult state to pigeonhole in terms of where you live and identity. On my map, New York is 4 distinct regions.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I think New York, along with Texas and to a lesser degree, Florida, have the most diverse regional areas. It's a very difficult state to pigeonhole in terms of where you live and identity. On my map, New York is 4 distinct regions.
NY is a large state, geographically. Obviously, so is Texas. I disagree a bit with the PA/NY designations on your map. Did you make it yourself, or take it from some source? And I only see 3 regions in NY. What am I missing?

Old 09-17-2007, 10:42 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
This was my take on it in another post:

That's interesting. I've never seen it cut through states like that before. I agree based on cultural attributes. However, this is the map I've always seen:

magazineUSA.com | U.S. Data & Facts | USA Regions Overview

Old 09-17-2007, 10:44 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,154 times
Buffalo, Cleveland, Erie, Pittsburgh, Rochester, and Syracuse are a transition area. Albany is northeastern, Toledo is midwestern.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:46 AM

My husband from the Rochester, NY area was a Yankee through and through. He did not identify with the midwest, nor did his family. In fact, when his family moved to Chicago, they took some flak about being from NY. Chicago certainly does not see W. NYS as a part of its 'cultural area'.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-17-2007 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: another typo

Old 09-17-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
NY is a large state, geographically. Obviously, so is Texas. I disagree a bit with the PA/NY designations on your map. Did you make it yourself, or take it from some source? And I only see 3 regions in NY. What am I missing?
No, I made it myself. The boundaries are based on county lines. The 4th region you might not be identifying is New England. To me, the area around Lake Champlain and east of Albany is an extension of New England. I drew this map based on the fact I've been to all 62 counties in New York. My relatives are from the Buffalo-Rochester area. Someone else though will have a different interpretation, which is understandable. New York is just a very complex state to define when it comes to regional geography. In fact, the upper section, through Malone-St. Lawrence County, though I defined as Mid-Atlantic, I wasn't entirely comfortable with it. There just didn't seem to be any other region, and I couldn't create another just for that area of NY.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
That's interesting. I've never seen it cut through states like that before. I agree based on cultural attributes. However, this is the map I've always seen:

magazineUSA.com | U.S. Data & Facts | USA Regions Overview
The problem with maps such as these are they are too absolute, which is a consequence that comes with gauging regions by lumping an entire state into it. For instance, Port Arthur Texas is about as 'Southwest' as El Paso Texas is "New England". Texarkana, Texas is closer to Chicago than it is to El Paso. You just can't take 252,000 square miles (Texas) and classify it in whole as "Southwest". It makes no sense.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:09 AM

I agree more with Rochester and west in NY being a transition area, along with Pittsburgh and the extreme western counties of Pennsylvania. I am from one of those counties, and have lived in the midwest and west since I was 22. Believe me, the midwest does not consider PA or NY "midwest", period. To be part of the area, you have to be accepted in that area, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.