Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:33 AM

14,727 posts, read 33,247,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape_Arch07 View Post
Any City in Alabama, especially Mobile and Montgomery. I have family in Mobile & Montgomery and my girlfriend is from Birmingham. Maybe one or two pseudo Hipsters in Birmingham, they do have a good restaurant and bar scene, but ZERO in Mobile or Montgomery.

The people in these cities either look like they just left the farm, hunting camp, country club, or fraternity house.
Can I throw in Pensacola FL, being so close to Mobile? I LOVE Pensacola. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 11:33 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,563,243 times
Quote:
hipsters tend to prefer Papst or Miller High Life.

Microbrewers sent the 30 years bring good quality beer to the mainstream, and along come the hipsters, and make drinking bilgewater-swillage a trend.
OK, then I'm up to 18% hipster. I like microbrews AND Pabst.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:37 AM

14,727 posts, read 33,247,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
OK, then I'm up to 18% hipster. I like microbrews AND Pabst.
I like coffee and tea, but did so before the word hipster was coined. They are the only cheap drinks on any coffeehouse's menu. OTOH, I don't think hipsters like jazz.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:25 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,672,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
As others have mentioned already, the term 'Hipster' has rapidly lost any meaning as a true subculture, simply because the term is used to comprise a large number of very disparate urban subcultures. Subcultures that have no historical relationship but that have been brought together through shared urban residence have been arbitrarily amalgamated into the catch-all term Hipster, which thus begins to lose any real distinction as a subculture or social group.

Certainly, we can probably all identify some supposed characteristics of hipsters, indie music, skinny jeans, beards, unusual apparel, fixed-gear bicycles, etc. But you'd be pretty hard pressed to find all that many people who completely embody all these characteristics. Conversely, most everyone who lives in a big city does some of these things. But that's precisely why the term has become so popular and at the same time so bland and meaningless. Everybody can potentially be made fun of for being a hipster, but no one thinks they're a hipster because there is another hipster who does things they don't do.

I do several 'hipster' things. Does that make me a hipster? Perhaps, but it doesn't really mean anything. Because these are all just things that it's very easy to do in a big city. Mark my words. Hipster things are here to stay. Good coffee, great beer, music venues, and vintage clothing will not disappear. But hopefully the term will die out soon, because we're all a little bit hipster. And if you think you're not, look a little bit closer.

Finally, there may be cities with fewer of these hipster amenities, but why would you possibly want to live there?
That's a good point which immediately makes me think of two of my former coworkers. Both greatly enjoyed indie rock (and introduced me to several bands I now enjoy) and both had an affection for little-known micro brews, but that's where their hipster-ness ended, and that's about all they had in common. One was basically the epitome of college frat boy, the other a straight-up country boy. I had another coworker who loved listening to MGMT yet he was a racist redneck. I listen to some indie rock myself (though my favorite music is pre-war jazz), yet no one would ever consider me a hipster. I've only seen a handful of people who personify ALL of the hipster stereotypes, but I've known many who have at least one of the attributes.

One last note: Most of the people I've known who could be considered hipsters only drank PBR because it was cheap compared to the micro brews they really preferred.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:33 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,940,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
One last note: Most of the people I've known who could be considered hipsters only drank PBR because it was cheap compared to the micro brews they really preferred.

Around here PBR is priced the same as craft brews and premiums - at grocery stores and in clubs.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:39 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,672,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Around here PBR is priced the same as craft brews and premiums - at grocery stores and in clubs.
Really? Everyone I knew always said it was cheap. I don't drink so I don't know from first hand experience.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:40 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,760,856 times
Multiple examples on this thread of confusing hipsters and yuppies. Maybe the two are starting to meld together...incorporate little bits of the other's 'subculture' into their own.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:44 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,940,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
Multiple examples on this thread of confusing hipsters and yuppies. Maybe the two are started to meld together...
yuppies are hipsters that have turned 30, have jobs and clean themselves up, but keep the condescending hipper than thou attitude.

By the time they are fifty, most will be overleveraged, living in the burbs and voting republican (because being the trend FOLLOWERS that they are, that's what everyone else will be doing)

Old 04-20-2012, 01:20 PM

343 posts, read 929,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I like coffee and tea, but did so before the word hipster was coined. They are the only cheap drinks on any coffeehouse's menu. OTOH, I don't think hipsters like jazz.
So what you're saying is you were into coffee before it was cool?

Old 04-20-2012, 01:35 PM

343 posts, read 929,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
Multiple examples on this thread of confusing hipsters and yuppies. Maybe the two are starting to meld together...incorporate little bits of the other's 'subculture' into their own.
See my post on the previous page. The Hipster term is applied a widely varying array of subcultures that have little in common save for a specific preference here and there. The term is now meaningless to actually distinguish any specific subculture. This is especially true since most yuppies (literally Young Urban Professionals) exhibit some of the traditional hipster characteristics, but don't identify with the subculture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.