Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most gay friendly state/ area of US?
California 56 30.60%
New York state 14 7.65%
Texas 3 1.64%
Illinois 2 1.09%
Florida 7 3.83%
New England (ct, vt, maine, mass, ri) 56 30.60%
Maryland/ Virginia 2 1.09%
Colorado 1 0.55%
Hawaii 4 2.19%
South eastern states (georgia, sc, nc, tennessee) 2 1.09%
Washington state 10 5.46%
Oklahoma, kansas, Nebraska, SD, ND 2 1.09%
Minnesota 6 3.28%
Arizona 3 1.64%
Other that are not listed 11 6.01%
I think it's the same everywhere 4 2.19%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 11:14 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,765,894 times

Advertisements

New England, New York, New Jersey, Washington (both DC and the state), Oregon, California, Hawaii, Minnesota, the southern half of Florida, and Illinois (Chicago)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 12:19 PM

171 posts, read 325,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
New Mexico was left off the poll (yet AZ alone on this poll ). Santa Fe is one of the most gay friendly cities you'll ever find in the US and probably the most gay friendly in the Southwest. They even have a gay retirement community here. Probably not the best for those in their twenties or the ones that love to party and hook up but for the ones who've outgrown that stage of life and gravitate toward art, creativity, and good restaurants without having the ratrace of a big city Santa Fe is great for that. Albuquerque is pretty live and let live also. New Mexico is pretty good, one of the best in the interior West for sure.

For statewide I'd say Massachusetts or Vermont. One could live openly gay in just about any big city, small city, suburb, small town, or rural area in most every part of those states.
Why the offhanded remark about AZ? It may not be the most gay-friendly state in the U.S., but there are TONS of gay people here and if New Mexico was the most gay-friendly in the Southwest, I'd imagine that there would be TONS of gay people there.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:14 AM

628 posts, read 662,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Only in your imagination

I have never met anybody growing up in western NY who was very welcoming of gays.... Nobody outside of the provincials up there think of NY state as gay friendly.... I am surprised to hear a contrarian view to this

Maybe you are thinking of NYC
There is at least one gay club or bar in just about every city (big or small) in NY. The same cannot be said for all but maybe two other states.

I think this may be a generational issue. I consider NY to be gay friendly but I am also under 40. Perhaps those over 40 or 50 in NY view things differntly? I would be interested to hear more on that aspect.

But to reiterate, NY is gay friendly.

Now, that doesnt mean that Elmira, Utica, Plattsburgh, etc... hold gay pride parades, just means that they are accepting to "alternative" lifestyles.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:37 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
You can't do it by STATE. A gay visitor would have a very different experiences on Toulouse Street in the French Quarter, than in a crawfish bar in Bunkie, Louisiana.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:35 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,431 times
California, Massachusetts, and New York all immediately come to mind. New England I would say is very gay-friendly.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:14 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,752,412 times
California, the word "gay" doesn't carry any shock value there how it still does everywhere else, even in the most gay friendly cities.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:02 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
There is at least one gay club or bar in just about every city (big or small) in NY. The same cannot be said for all but maybe two other states.

I think this may be a generational issue. I consider NY to be gay friendly but I am also under 40. Perhaps those over 40 or 50 in NY view things differntly? I would be interested to hear more on that aspect.

But to reiterate, NY is gay friendly.

Now, that doesnt mean that Elmira, Utica, Plattsburgh, etc... hold gay pride parades, just means that they are accepting to "alternative" lifestyles.
Oh, only one?

No, NY State is not gay friendly.... you cannot convince the rest of us who see things for how they are.

By the way, I am 28 and know nobody in the Rochester who views gay as ok.... unfortunately

I find it much friendlier in Houston Austin or Dallas towards gays than anywhere Upstate in NY

Maybe sometime in the future things will be different up there.... who knows

Old 05-01-2012, 05:55 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Oh, only one?

By the way, I am 28 and know nobody in the Rochester who views gay as ok.... unfortunately

s
Then you must know a very small, closed minded group of people. I hang out in several circles and nobody is shocked at a person being gay. Even with my job that requires me to travel to different companies, being gay in the workplace is not an issue(I tend to overhear office gossip). It is excepted with the bulk of the people I come across.
You don't live here so you would have no idea what is/is not accepted.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:28 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,140 times
Yes, NY is definitely very gay-friendly. There are lots of gay communities and if you go to the West Village/Greenwich Village, it is literally predominately gay; they even have a street called Gay St., gay parades, lots of gay bars and clubs and people are so opened with them, they support gay people with rainbow flags in front of their stores. Honestly, I think there will always be people who don't like gays because they are more conservative but for the most part, it is gay-friendly because you see gay people everywhere.. how could you not accept them?

Old 05-01-2012, 10:27 PM

475 posts, read 507,710 times
I cant believe being gay is still a major issue in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.