Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 07:33 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times

Advertisements

We don't wear shoes in the house here in Loudoun County, and that's a typical practice with my neighbors. We keep several pairs of bedroom slippers near the front door. Visitors enjoy picking their favorite color (we even have some "glamourous" leopard print ones for people who want to be silly). Everyone instantly feels relaxed, amd we keep the carpets nice.

Local slang: Around here, you explain this practice by indicating the pile of shoes near the front door and saying "we're Hawaiian in this house."

Old 10-06-2007, 07:41 PM

324 posts, read 1,706,970 times
We don't wear shoes in our home, we usually ask all guests to take them off too but it is uncomfortable to ask that sometimes. I hate to take mine off at other people's houses though.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:17 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,851 times
I usually run around my house barefoot or in sandals. When I had light carpet (OK almost white carpet) it was very anal about no one wearing shoes on the carpet (by the way the color choice of carpet was the stupidest thing I ever picked out). Now we have trashed the carpet and gotten wood floors, I really don't care if they take them off or leave them on.
I always have my husband take is off at the door, because he works construction and usually is covered in red clay mud and I really do not want to be sweeping or vacuuming every night.
Oh yeah and I am from Arkansas.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:53 PM

95 posts, read 1,294,273 times
I am from MS and no one that I know or ever heard of takes their shoes off or asks others to take their shoes off when visiting. When we come in from work or school and change into comfortable clothes we may leave the shoes off, but otherwise they are on. We have different shoes for lawn care and outside work that we keep in a "mud room" off the garage. We put those shoes on to play or work in the yard and then leave them in the mud room before going into the house. I do remember a lady who had us take shoes off at her house when I was very young. Years later I found out that she had cancer and it was very hard on her to clean her house and floors and this is why we always had to take shoes off at her house.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:25 AM

39 posts, read 176,246 times
I live in GA, but from NH, there is a difference. But here we take off our shoes...This red clay is awful to clean up.

I generally go to visit people, since my place is so small. But I usually take them off, or ask if they would be offended if I do..for the same reason...clay stains.

If I had many visitors, I would offer them some slippers or something to slip on over their shoes if they preferred to keep their shoes on. If they seemed offended or refused, I probably wouldn't invite them back to avoid the issue of their discomfort and the extra work for me.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:11 AM

82 posts, read 639,321 times
Where im from everybody takes off there shoes when entering someone else's house. Shoes track dirt and things outside and makes the floors dirty. im from Hagerstown, MD.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:22 PM

60 posts, read 163,211 times
I grew up with the shoes-off rule in the home so naturally its continued with me through my young adult life. I think shoes are dirty since you have no idea where the soles have traveled through from public restrooms to garden soil to dirty streets, its just gross to wear shoes inside a home. Shoes off policy saves the floors as well since our area has lots of hardwood flooring entrances.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:18 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
In Orange County, California.
We all take our shoes off when we are at home and go in socks or barefoot.
Most people ask if they need to take their shoes off, and if they do, we encourage them to do so. With large groups/ parties we do not require shoes off by guests. If someone didn't ask, we would ask depending on how well we know them. We would not ask a stranger/ new guest to take their shoes off.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:51 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
I live near Orlando and I don't wear shoes at home, I don't think I even own a pair of socks, I always have on sandals or shoes that are open at the back.

When people come over they can do as they please but if I noticed someone's feet were dirty, I would ask them to leave their shoes outside.

I can't stand feeling confined so I don't like shoes that require me to wear socks like tennis shoes or such.

When I walk over to my neighbors or take the trash out, I do it barefooted. Of course I then have to step into the shower and wash my feet off but thats ok, small price to pay.

I frequently steam clean the carpet to keep it clean so my feet are clean running around in the house.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:21 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
We wear shoes in the house sometimes and other times we don't. But, we let our guests do as they please (shoes or no-shoes). Most people have sense to wipe their feet as they enter.

However, I don't like to remove my shoes at other peoples houses. I have absolutely no problem if they asked me to wear those covers that slip over your shoes, but I don't want to walk around in socks, barefoot, or in slippers that others have worn. I would rather not go back to that persons home if that's the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.