Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:24 PM

450 posts, read 1,898,638 times

Advertisements

I've lived several places, and in the course of that and travels, I find colder climates -- in other words, those with the snow and muck that comes with winter -- are more likely to remove their shoes.

In most of Canada and Minnesota, it seems to be automatic. In parts of the Midwest such as Nebraska, Iowa, and Illinois, it seems to be fairly common. Kansas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas... people looked at me crazy when I took my shoes off in their home, asking if it's a strange custom I've picked up along the way.

Alabama and Louisiana tended to be shoes-on as well. Southern California, as with so many other things, is a real mix, but I've found more people that do wear shoes than do not. Interestingly, I find the same in Colorado -- and that's a snowy climate.

At one time, I always removed my shoes, as I was taught that is the polite thing to do, and wearing shoes implied the host did not clean their floors properly. As time goes on, however, I look to see if the people who live there wear shoes or not.

For me, I strongly encourage people to leave their shoes at the door. When you have a lot of allergies, tracking in all that dirt and pollen is an unnecessary problem. If guests do leave shoes on, I clean everything that night yet before they leave, as it is an allergy issue.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:48 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,016,115 times
Agree w/ HockeyFan's words. Me, from Missouri, lived in 'bama and now Indiana, and all places shoes are removed when entering the house. Thank you very much.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,166 times
Default Shoes Off

We always take off our shoes in our home. We don't expect visitors to do the same, but it is appreciated. You can drag in a lot of undesirable stuff on your shoes.

I live in Mission, KS (in the Kansas City area).

Old 02-18-2008, 11:24 AM

Location: LA, county CA since 1989 before that southeast states
2 posts, read 10,057 times
We take our shoes off in the entrance/foyers of the home on the ceramic tile ... saves the carpet and even have all three children accustomed to doing it now by habit!

Old 02-18-2008, 12:23 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,859,862 times
We take off our shoes inside the front door. We picked up the habit in San Diego. I don't make guests take them off, tho' they ask if they should.

Last edited by leighland; 02-18-2008 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: added guests bit

Old 02-18-2008, 12:53 PM

5,749 posts, read 10,333,259 times
I live in the Chicago area. Everyone usually takes off their shoes inside (especially kids). I have been to some adult dinner parties where some of the ladies left their shoes on (usually it was nice sandals during the summer and it was preferable to being barefoot). I think it is bad etiquette to leave shoes on (especially during the winter months). But I would not demand that someone take their shoes off (maybe just hint that they could leave their shoes in the foyer if they wish).

Old 02-18-2008, 09:01 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,155,432 times
Shoes come off at the door, period, no exception. If you come over to my place and for some reason do not feel the need to take off your shoes, then you can stand out side all night for all I care. It's my place, my rules; respect them or don't-but if you don't you are not coming in. The only time I allow shoes is when I throw a party or other event in which there will be a number of people over. I don't live in an effin barn, ya know.

When I visit other people's homes I generally take my shoes off unless they have really dirty floors. In that case I don't care if I track dirt/mud/slush/salt/sand since they don't seem to care their own floors. That's their business.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:12 PM
edk

95 posts, read 542,667 times
I live in Toronto, originally from New York. And yes, I take my shoes off as soon as I get home, usually glad to be rid of the clunky things.

A family I knew in Paris not only expected guests to remove their shoes, but had several pairs of slippers standing near the door for guests to use.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:34 AM

113 posts, read 386,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Making guests take their shoes off?

That's a small step from couches wrapped in plastic.
Amen to that brother. I lived in a 400 sq ft studio apartment for 10 years. I always wore my shoes inside, and when I left, the carpet was clean. No stains, just a bit more worn out.

I think it is completely tacky to ask guests to take their shoes off. It’s awkward and uncomfortable for the guest because if things get weird, you can’t just walk out, you have to sit there and lace your shoes back on.

Don’t people use vacuum cleaners anymore?

Old 04-08-2009, 03:42 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,663,425 times
Always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.