Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 04:31 PM

274 posts, read 470,335 times

Advertisements

Philly and Tupelo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 08:36 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bird View Post
I totally agree, and you can thank Philly for that since there are alot of Jersey people there. If you click with the Jersey people, you're friends for life. As for Californian people, you'd likely be crushed after being friends for years, after finding out that it was an act or just pretending to be your friends. That's why on reality show, the east coaster are so furious with people from LA being fake and not being real. They love to talk about you when you're not listening or around. I definitely prefer Jerseys over Californians, especially the girls.
I can thank Philly for what? To be honest, Philly is insignificant to me. I live 20 miles from New York City (the city), I barely ever go to Philly and I know no one from Philly or who does go to Philly. And all my friends are like me in personality and demeanor so why can I thank Philly for how North Jerseyans (as I said previously, near New York City) are? And if there are a lot of Jersey people IN Philly, couldn't Philly thank Jersey for whatever 'that' is? Confused.

And yeah, my California friends are… very different than me, to say the least.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:37 PM

274 posts, read 470,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I can thank Philly for what? To be honest, Philly is insignificant to me. I live 20 miles from New York City (the city), I barely ever go to Philly and I know no one from Philly or who does go to Philly. And all my friends are like me in personality and demeanor so why can I thank Philly for how North Jerseyans (as I said previously, near New York City) are? And if there are a lot of Jersey people IN Philly, couldn't Philly thank Jersey for whatever 'that' is? Confused.

And yeah, my California friends are… very different than me, to say the least.
Alot of people in Philly are from throughout NJ. There is south New Jersey and Trenton, NJ. I was just New York and got to meet alot of New Jersey girls. They work at bars, clothing stores and spas. To me, if they're from New Jersey, whether south or north by Franklin Lakes, they're the same straightforward and speaking their mind types with being impatience at times. Again, alot of times they look identical to Californian girls and style like them. They even act like them with suble differences like New Jersey being turned off and ignoring you and Californian girls being stuck up and ignoring you. They both can be pain in the rear. It's just that, like you said, NJ girls are more down to earth. I prefer them. I really like girls from Idaho, Arizona, Mississippi and Oregon since they're almost always nice and notice one thing-very patience. I'll give you example: I met a girl from Oregon. She looks identical to young Debbie Harry without rough on the edge as Debbie is from New Jersey. She's very laid back and not walk on eggshell types if you say the wrong thing because she's not from New Jersey. Oregon and other are more easy going and you don't have to worry about blowing it. Just look at Mississippi girls, my girlfriend if from Mississippi, and she doesn't mind me not being perfect. Most New Jersey and Californians wouldn't put up with this.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:28 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bird View Post
I totally agree, and you can thank Philly for that since there are alot of Jersey people there. If you click with the Jersey people, you're friends for life. As for Californian people, you'd likely be crushed after being friends for years, after finding out that it was an act or just pretending to be your friends. That's why on reality show, the east coaster are so furious with people from LA being fake and not being real. They love to talk about you when you're not listening or around. I definitely prefer Jerseys over Californians, especially the girls.
Based on "reality" TV shows. Sweet.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:46 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
Texans are the nicest people because they can't help but tell you nice they are within 5 minutes of meeting them. Bless their little hearts.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:25 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,194,562 times
Quote:
I agree. But in NJ, if we don't like you, you'll know it. And we won't go out of our way to pretend to like you. We won't be nasty, we'll be cordial, but that's it. 'Hi' and 'bye'. Don't know about Cali girls in that respect. IMO, this is ideal. I don't want someone being fake with me, pretending to like me when they actually can't stand me and talk about me behind my back. I'd much rather know who does and doesn't like me, because then you can know who your friends are. Is it awkward to be around those who don't like you and you don't like? Sure. But it's a lot better than everyone pretending to love each other when in reality we can't stand each other.

People I know in NJ are real. But then again, I surround myself with those I feel are the best, most genuine people possible. I know some people who have really sh*tty friends they keep going back to, though. And it sucks for them because they are always getting hurt.

I guess it just depends on what and who you're used to. It NJ, we're abrupt, rash, and honest (even brutally honest if we have to be). But we're also some of the kindest people you'll ever meet. The way we band together in times of need (like following Hurricane Sandy, for example) is inspiring and incredible. Many, many more positive stories came out of NJ and NYC following Sandy than negative ones.
With all the transplants from everywhere in California over the last 40 years or so (maybe a little less recently) these generalizations do not always hold up any longer. There are people here that hold onto their standards and behavior from their original state and those that abandon some of that.

I would side with the Jersey way of dealing with it if the relationship looks like it may go longer term/more serious and you don't want that. Then it may be necessary to be a little more brutally honest. I would side with the California way of dealing with it if it looks like it will just be acquaintance at best (invited to some of the same get-togethers with common friends, but never make direct plans with each other). Why rock the boat in that instance?

In general, I would never understand a confrontation unless justifiably offended. I just have too much energy I need to devote to other matters. There will never be anyone out there identical to you, but you can usually find similar people.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:37 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,194,562 times
Quote:
I agree. But in NJ, if we don't like you, you'll know it. And we won't go out of our way to pretend to like you. We won't be nasty, we'll be cordial, but that's it. 'Hi' and 'bye'. Don't know about Cali girls in that respect. IMO, this is ideal. I don't want someone being fake with me, pretending to like me when they actually can't stand me and talk about me behind my back. I'd much rather know who does and doesn't like me, because then you can know who your friends are. Is it awkward to be around those who don't like you and you don't like? Sure. But it's a lot better than everyone pretending to love each other when in reality we can't stand each other.

People I know in NJ are real. But then again, I surround myself with those I feel are the best, most genuine people possible. I know some people who have really sh*tty friends they keep going back to, though. And it sucks for them because they are always getting hurt.

I guess it just depends on what and who you're used to. It NJ, we're abrupt, rash, and honest (even brutally honest if we have to be). But we're also some of the kindest people you'll ever meet. The way we band together in times of need (like following Hurricane Sandy, for example) is inspiring and incredible. Many, many more positive stories came out of NJ and NYC following Sandy than negative ones.
I cannot speak with authority about people from New Jersey (I have only met a few), but I have known some so called "brutally honest" people that can dish it out, but can't take it. In my book, that is phony.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:36 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
In my personal experience, the friendliest states were Texas, Tennessee, West Virginia, North Carolina, and Virginia (excluding Northern Virginia). Ohio and Pennsylvania were okay. New Jersey, New York, and California were the least friendly states.

Typically small towns are USUALLY friendlier. In my personal experience though one exception is the Western states like Nevada, Arizona, and Utah where the cities were friendlier. People in the rural parts/small towns in these states were not rude or hostile (like people in NJ and NY were) but it seemed they just liked to be left alone, while small town folks in Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Missouri were extremely outgoing and welcoming.

The places where I found people the most openly rude were New York, New Jersey, and the Philadelphia area, while people in DC were more stuck up. L.A. was a pretty rude city too, along with Miami. The driving in these places was particularly aggressive.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:45 AM

132 posts, read 545,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Typically small towns are USUALLY friendlier. In my personal experience though one exception is the Western states like Nevada, Arizona, and Utah where the cities were friendlier.
Completely agree. I've noticed the same thing myself. Usually most of these towns tend to be LDS enclaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.