Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:55 PM

12 posts, read 31,736 times

Advertisements

I grew up in New Paltz, NY and lived for a year in Ithaca, NY. I absolutely love the nature and scenery of upstate NY, but can't handle the winters. If I could have Ithaca as it is in the summer year round, this would be perfect - gorgeous weather, tons of parks and waterfalls, great food with many fresh options, cute downtown area, festivals and lots of grad students and post-docs. I love to hike, take photos, basically just enjoy being outside. While I like the areas that are typically "hippie towns", I'm far from what I would consider a hippie. I can't stand smokers, tye-dye or birkenstocks, though the last two I'm perfectly fine with others liking. I mostly just like to live a healthy lifestyle and appreciate nature. I also would like to be around many intellectual people, preferably some single 30-somethings. I love the water so anything with water is an added bonus.

Most of my family now lives in South Carolina and I'm looking for a job somewhere closer to them (and with warmer weather). I wanted some advice on cities that would be closest to what I'm looking for. Areas I'm considering right now (based on known job availability) are: Charleston, SC, Sarasota, FL, Nashville, TN. Many have suggested the Raleigh/Durham area, but unfortunately my job market is pretty maxed out there. Chattanooga, TN was another suggestion that I will be looking into for job possibilities.

Any input on the areas I'm considering? Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 03:09 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,001,358 times
First town that came to mind is Asheville, NC.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:13 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,847,384 times
A friend of mine just moved from Ithaca, NY to Sacramento and he loves it here. Walkable streets, charming Victorian, liberal/granola center city, cafes, art galleries, restaurants, indie stuff.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:17 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,681,064 times
Nashville still gets plenty cold in the winter, though not much snow and it's still a lot warmer than Ithaca. Summer weather in Ithaca would probably be more like spring and fall weather in Nashville. And it may have pockets/neighborhoods sort of like what you describe, but overall it's not really like that at all.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:49 PM

6,337 posts, read 11,503,792 times
Asheville is the consumate hippie town but the university presence isn't huge. There are intellectuals from elsewhere but I don't think that many grad students. What about Charlottesville VA? That's what jumps out for me.

If Chattannooga is intellectual enough for you you might consider Knoxville. Plenty of smart people - but they are blended in with lots of ordinary folks and a few idiots.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:08 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,262,721 times
Go Sarasota for the water! Beautiful beaches at that. No granolas, just wealthier people and the people who wait on them, it seems. Your granola vibe in the Southeast will be more inland, with Asheville NC at the top of the heap. Also, granolas are more "pseudo-intellectual" than really intellectual, or they'd be on the college faculties of those towns they love to populate.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:12 PM

110 posts, read 298,924 times
Athens, GA. it's a college town like Ithica. I swear, everything people told me about this grungy, hippie, "fight the power" town is all true. And It's pretty damn cool.

Check out our most recent battle with Wal-Mart. It's been intense.

There's also a lot of cool nature stuff to do here. We have an amazing botanical garden just outside of town, you can kayak on the broad and oconee rivers, and the mountains are just a couple hours away.

This is our downtown. It's great but, full disclosure, it's usually a lot crazier at night

This is the kind of stuff that happens at our christmas parade
http://athenscms.com/oa/zenphoto/cache/120310-athens-clarke-downtown-parade-of-lights/120210-christmas-parade-01rh_w800_h583_onlineathens.jpg (broken link)

The botanical gardens

Floating the Broad River. Every Athenian should do it at least once

Residents: Walk through town on a gameday at your own peril

The fabled UGA arch on a snowday. Athens seems to be hotter in the summer and colder in the winter than Atlanta, don't know why

Opposition to a proposed wal mart near downtown. Can you taste that granola crunch? Also, Harry Potter lives in Athens now.
http://athenscms.com/oa/zenphoto/cache/030312-Hundreds-Gather-to-Protest-Downtown-Walmart/030412%20Walmart%20Protest%20RH10_w606_h800_online athens.jpg (broken link)

The newly renovated Georgia Theatre music venue

Last edited by cope1989; 04-24-2012 at 06:30 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 07:12 PM

12 posts, read 31,736 times
robertpolyglot, you bring up a good point about the "pseudo-intellectuals". I would say that means I'm moreso looking for the real intellectuals and the "psuedo-granolas". I was on faculty when I lived in Ithaca.

Sacramento sounds great, just too far from family I'm afraid.

Athens, GA and Asheville, NC are considerations..... I will look into them further.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:18 PM

37,798 posts, read 41,550,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua22 View Post
robertpolyglot, you bring up a good point about the "pseudo-intellectuals". I would say that means I'm moreso looking for the real intellectuals and the "psuedo-granolas".
While Charleston is a lovely town for sure, it doesn't really give off that type of vibe but singles, specifically college grads, do flock to the place. Columbia, being the big college town in the state, comes a bit closer to that vibe although overall it's more varied than that. I'm not sure how much you know about Columbia, but I do think it's worth looking into though as it meets a good bit of your criteria. The weather is mild year round except in the summer when it gets pretty hot. However, the city sits on three rivers and Lake Murray is in the vicinity with Lake Wateree a short distance away. The Congaree National Park (an international biosphere reserve), which offers several opportunities for hiking, and Congaree River Blue Trail are the top natural amenities in the area and there's also the Three Rivers Greenway. As for fresh/organic food, there's Earth Fare Rosewood Market; Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are on the way. Downtown isn't as historic and celebrated as Charleston's (very few cities Charleston's size are), but it definitely has much to offer. There's the revitalized warehouse district known as the Congaree Vista which is one of two main nightlife areas, the other being the village of Five Points which caters more to the USC college crowd. Main Street is in the midst of revitalization with new retail and restaurants, as well as artsy destinations (Columbia Museum of Art, Nickelodeon Theater [relocating to Main this summer], Tapp's Arts Center). As a matter of fact, the arts is a silent strong suit for the city. There are lots of festivals that take place, including River Rocks Festival, St. Pat's in Five Points (one of the largest St. Patrick's Day festivals in the South), Indie Grits Festival, Artista Vista, Southeastern Piano Festival, Main Street Latin Festival, World Beer Festival, SC Book Festival, Oktoberfest, Viva La Vista, Congaree Art Festival, Greek Festival, Columbia International Festival, and the SC State Fair. Due to the presence of USC and smaller colleges, the city has a fairly educated populace and solid singles population, although the proportion won't be quite as high as a quintessential small college town like Ithaca.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:11 PM

6,337 posts, read 11,503,792 times
I'm not doubting your story, Cope, but it is so ironic for me to read this about Athens as I moved there in 1974 when the vibe was old south and all about the Greek scene. I had left the hippie dippie environs of UT and it was a huge culture shock. I understand Athens started getting cool right afer I moved away in 1977. And now UT is all about the preppies. How things change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.