Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 03:27 PM

34 posts, read 64,214 times

Advertisements

Ive been offered a job with a law firm as a records manager. The same position is avalible in thier chicago and new york office. I can choose which office to go to. Im at a lost over which city. I want to go to new york but chicago would be closer to where i live (Minnesota). Ive been to NYC and loved it Ive also been to chicago and liked it. I know this seems like a dumb question that probably has been asked alot on this website but i really dont know what to do. I really need to whcih city is more livable New York City or Chicago. Can anyone offer any advice on these two cities as far as livability
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 03:32 PM

350 posts, read 740,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsja View Post
Ive been offered a job with a law firm as a records manager. The same position is avalible in thier chicago and new york office. I can choose which office to go to. Im at a lost over which city. I want to go to new york but chicago would be closer to where i live (Minnesota). Ive been to NYC and loved it Ive also been to chicago and liked it. I know this seems like a dumb question that probably has been asked alot on this website but i really dont know what to do. I really need to whcih city is more livable New York City or Chicago. Can anyone offer any advice on these two cities as far as livability
Depends on the salary. You would need a good deal higher salary in NYC to have the same standard of living you would have in Chicago. You told me you LOVED NYC and only LIKED Chicago. If the salary is sufficient maybe NYC would be for you. However plan on spending at least 2000/month for a tiny studio in NYC while you could spend 1000/month in Chicago (not in the Loop/Streeterville/Gold Coast but in Lincoln Park or Wrigleyville).

Old 04-25-2012, 03:44 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,869,578 times
Well if you "loved" NYC but "liked" Chicago, I'd normally say you answered your own question. However, since NYC is 2-3 times more expensive than Chicago and money is king (at least when you just graduate), it would largely depend on disposable income, adjusted for cost of living. Chicago is often cited as the more "livable" or family-friendly city, but that may be largely due to its relative lower cost of living.

What a sweet situation to be in though!

Old 04-25-2012, 03:58 PM

343 posts, read 932,310 times
New York. I mean, when are you even gonna get another chance to live in NYC? Personally, I have no interest in ever living there, but I can see the draw. And you mentioned that you loved New York, so I would say you should bite the bullet and give it a try for a few years. Chances are, you will have many opportunities to live in Chicago, but you may never again get to enjoy new york for all it has to offer.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:11 PM

34 posts, read 64,214 times
I just want to clarify something. I did love nyc very much but the cost of living there
scares me. I will be making about 48000 a year at whatever office.
Ive also heard that nyc apartment complexes have so many regulations
that it seems easier to get into an ivy league college than find an aparment in nyc. Ive seriously heard horor stories about people being turned down for wierd reasons such as hypertension. so Im looking at chicago as I think it offers more ease in living. If anyone disagree about apartment hunting in either city plesse let me know.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:13 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,245 times
Default Chicago

Based on your salary Chicago would make sense. New York does sound so enticing I know. I live in Chicago and it offers alot for recent grads. My friend moved to new York making well into the six figures and had a difficult time adjusting. Consider your net income and after rent there wouldn't be alot left over !!

Old 04-30-2012, 12:08 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,396,324 times
you'd be stupid on 48,000 to move to NYC... single bed rooms are $1800+ and up not including utilities or food.. You would basically be paying all ur money to live in the city and not be able to go out in it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.