U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 06:44 PM

25 posts, read 81,067 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. I want to visit somewhere that has some great outdoor adventures in either summer or winter (hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, rock climbing, snowmobiling, skiing, ect.) along with an absolutely awesome nightlife. You know the kind of place where you play all day and all night and you need a vacation after that vacation just to recuperate. Somewhere the younger crowd (20-somethings) will flock to over winter/spring/summer breaks or the party holidays like St Patrick's day. Anyone have a place that they just couldn't forget how much fun they had?? Where and why??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 10:10 PM

81,649 posts, read 109,552,785 times
Perhaps Saratoga Springs or Ithaca.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:46 PM

42,661 posts, read 83,383,607 times
Probably Luckenbach, Texas. Population zero, unless Waylon and Willie are there. Another fun ghost town is Terlingua.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:04 PM

59 posts, read 118,987 times
La Crosse, Wisconsin.

It's a small city smashed between the bluffs (steep hills) and the Mississippi River. It has a metro of about 120,000 smashed between 28 streets at it's widest so it's dense, architecturally interesting, and right up against the river and the hills. If you want to go hiking, head toward the hills (especially in fall), if you want to go boating or swimming, head toward the Mississippi River and the sandy islands within it. At least, that's what I did! There's a small ski hill, plenty of water to kayak on and you can rent equipment from the Outdoor Connection store at the local university.

The night life is fantastic. It has the world record for the most bars per capita. In the downtown area, off the top of my head, there are something like 30 bars in about a two block stretch of three roads. A lot of people from Wisconsin spend their bachelor or bachelorette party there because the bars are actually quite nice. Each one does a different special each night and has a different feel. You're probably looking at spending $2 for a tap beer or $3.50 for a bottle because of the competition and the low alcohol tax in Wisconsin. Most people hop around between the establishments to find the one they like the best (my recommendation, Bodega, Topshots or Dell's). Closing time is at 2:30am with hotels generally within a block.

If drinking isn't your thing, there are three weekly music venues at the Root Note, the Warehouse, and the Starlite Lounge. Root Note is a hippy-ish coffee shop with jazz on Tuesdays and open mic on Thursdays. the Warehouse is more of a punk, metal, or rock venue nearby. The Starlite Lounge has jazz on Thursdays and some great cocktails. The La Crosse Center also gets concerts from time to time.

It's maintained its intense level of fun and cool because there are two universities, three colleges, and a military base in the vicinity. There are a lot of young people. I went to school there and I haven't found a place where I've enjoyed my days and nights better yet. They're either too expensive, too spaced apart, or make you pay a fee to get in. Nope, if you're looking for a fun place, head to La Crosse; one of the Midwest's best kept secrets.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:21 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,614,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicadwr View Post
I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. I want to visit somewhere that has some great outdoor adventures in either summer or winter (hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, rock climbing, snowmobiling, skiing, ect.) along with an absolutely awesome nightlife.
Whistler Village, BC in the summer. Nothing in my state fits the bill*, but Whistler is close enough to a huge population here. Whistler in winter is excellent too, just way more expensive.

* - except George, WA during certain concerts, and the nightlife is at campgrounds.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:42 PM

42,661 posts, read 83,383,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananamana View Post
La Crosse, Wisconsin.

The night life is fantastic. It has the world record for the most bars per capita. In the downtown area, off the top of my head, there are something like 30 bars in about a two block stretch of three roads. .
Not even close, not even close to the state record. Hurley, Wisconsin (pop. 1,509) has 47 bars in a four block stretch of Silver Street. Any town in Wisconsin that is proud of its bars calls them taverns. 47 is the reported number, but I can't verify it -- only 25 of them have a telephone listing in the yellow pages, but a lot of taverns don't have listed numbers. Even if it's 25, that is one for every 60 residents.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-27-2012 at 03:55 PM..

Old 04-27-2012, 05:06 PM

88 posts, read 199,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Whistler Village, BC in the summer. Nothing in my state fits the bill*, but Whistler is close enough to a huge population here. Whistler in winter is excellent too, just way more expensive.

* - except George, WA during certain concerts, and the nightlife is at campgrounds.
Whistler is absolutely gorgeous and has the best fun outdoorsy-life! However, I wouldn't exactly call it the best value vacation. It's a fun place to splurge ... and most tourists seem to have very deep wallets.

What about Denver or Colorado Springs? I think the most fun adventures I've had are on roadtrips/in the middle of nowhere. Nevada, Utah, even Nebraska have some beautiful campgrounds. Arizona is quite nice in the spring too - and cheap!

Old 04-27-2012, 08:59 PM

6,219 posts, read 10,724,693 times
It's not your definition of fun, but the most glee per capita is Pigeon Forge TN.

For winter sports and bars you'd go to Gatlinburg. Not world class by 20 something party animal standards but the rest of america flocks there in droves.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:08 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,614,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoebePaddy View Post
Whistler is absolutely gorgeous and has the best fun outdoorsy-life! However, I wouldn't exactly call it the best value vacation.
Which is why I said in the summer. Great deals there outside of the peak ski season.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:17 AM

59 posts, read 118,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Not even close, not even close to the state record. Hurley, Wisconsin (pop. 1,509) has 47 bars in a four block stretch of Silver Street. Any town in Wisconsin that is proud of its bars calls them taverns. 47 is the reported number, but I can't verify it -- only 25 of them have a telephone listing in the yellow pages, but a lot of taverns don't have listed numbers. Even if it's 25, that is one for every 60 residents.
Whoops! I guess I ate the hype! Regardless, it still has a fantastic night life and, in my opinion, the bars a quite a bit better than the ones in Hurley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.