Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Chicago-

I love how fun, exciting, beautiful and big it is.

I hate the inner city crime and poverty And the Insane Political Corruption politicians and society that elects them..
Fixed for ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 09:48 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Another in my experience, even though my opinion has softened about it tremendously over the last couple of years: Lexington, Kentucky. I realize that it's not such a bad place after all, but I fully acknowledge that it's not the Eden that its residents seem to think it is.

I created a thread in the Lexington forum about this very topic: //www.city-data.com/forum/lexin...-my-pride.html

I like the simplicity of life there relative to most American cities and even other Southern cities, as well as the beauty of the surrounding horse country. I really dislike the fact that if you don't eat, breathe and fart University of Kentucky sports and Keeneland thoroughbred horse racing that you'll be all but a social outcast, and that's no exaggeration. Oh, and that horse country is actually dreary, ugly and depressing when it's cold, misty, barely above freezing, foggy and there's no vegetation growing on the trees for at least four months of the year.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Seattle, hands down.

Pros:
- compelling beauty of the natural setting and varied topography
- proximity to British Columbia, Canada
- comfortable temperature band throughout the year
- lower crime than most places
- relaxed vibe in stores, coffee shops, etc.
- educated, competent workforce
- the country's most beautiful urban campus (Univ of Wash)

Cons:
- many of the people absolutely suck - sterile, not emotive, liberal, and smug (natives of the city who are of Italian and Greek descent seem like they are missing a testicle compared to those belonging to those groups living elsewhere in the US)
- the cloud cover and rain make it depressing
- narrow, hourglass configuration that makes circulation difficult
- traffic to the East Side suburbs, where many people live, must use one of two floating pontoon bridges which are clogged, and one of them (the crappier one) now charges a toll
- late adopters of rail transit, but at least its very first leg does go into the airport
- overpriced housing, almost close to what one would pay in LA at this point
I tend to agree with you, with some caveats.

First, I was born and raised in Seattle, so I certainly have some well-deserved opinions here

Seattle is the most beautiful city in the country on a clear day. On a grey, drizzly day it falls down the list bigtime.

I love that Seattle is a big city, but still full of neighborhoods, all distinct and with their own attributes.

The weather is absolutely the best in the U.S. from July 5th through mid-September. The rest of the year...well, you get the idea. However, I like that snow is somewhat rare, and when it does happen it usually melts within a day or two.

Traffic. Don't get me started. It is congested beyond belief, some of it due to the geography, but most of it due to an anti-highway/freeway attitude and lack of real mass transit beyond busses and a small light-rail system. (To be fair, poised to grow). Seattle drivers are distracted, self-absorbed, and generally clueless.

Seattle's greenery and hills always make me feel good when I come home. As do the people, who can be cold at first, but when you get to know them are some of the friendliest in the country.

So that is my love/hate with my hometown.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:57 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Thank you. I can see that in the Bay Area to some degree, and there is sort of a Bay Area-Seattle "simpatico" pipeline as it is.

Yes, there is that in Seattle, too: douchey yuppie dudes in the city and on the East Side, with borderline misandrist ladies in the city (especially around UW neighborhoods) and douchey sorority girls on the East Side.

Probably agree on the Stanford thing, since you qualified it with the word "suburban." Since I would have presented a laughable application for Stanford, I've never set foot on their campus, but have driven above it on 280 "The World's Most Beautiful Freeway" (per the sign). However, the most beautiful university in a rural college town is the University of Virginia.
For so long, I thought Seattle and Portland were two cities I would really enjoy living in. The more I learn about the people from the Pacific Northwest altogether, the more I think they would merely be great places to visit for weekend getaways. At least California has a great statewide network of universities, public and private, better weather overall, more diversity in cultures, scenery and microclimates (ties back into weather), and world-class cities (not that Seattle isn't).

Let's just be uber frank here: Any place that really caters to chicks and gays will have a stronger presence of misandry than more balanced places in this country. For example, L.A., the Bay Area, Seattle, N.Y.C., Boston, and D.C. are basically bastions of stubborn extreme feminism, whereas Houston, Atlanta, Chicago, Chapel Hill, and Austin are just liberal. There is a difference. (By the way, I'm hetero, date chicks and have nothing against gays, I'm just taking a point by Adam Carolla and adding my own statement.)

Old 04-27-2012, 10:20 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
No wonder I liked Atlanta...it seemed to be a real nice blend of different political, and religious, viewpoints.

Family and the lure of the PNW. *sigh*

Old 04-27-2012, 10:33 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
I love almost everything about Chicago... its massive cityscape, its romance, its excitement, its musicality, its urbaness, I adore the neighborhoods and think it is one of (and in my opinion) the best places in this nation to call home. I just HATE the southside's struggle with crime and poverty. In good time, in good time....

Old 04-28-2012, 09:03 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Chicago-

I love how fun, exciting, beautiful and big it is.

I hate the inner city crime and poverty.
In general this would also work for Philadelphia

I would also add the city council in Philly as a hate; anti anything good and progressive it seems most times with a sole interest on life long carreers and corrupt politics to send bad investments to their constituents to ensure re election (and to me is worse in Philly than all other places I have lived.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:36 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I feel ya! I'll even add that I love Chicago's culture and passionate people, but I can't stand its bigotry, prejudice and downright hatred for all people not like themselves. Chicago is a very hateful place to me (I have a lot of family in that area and my mom is from there, and they are the [stereo]typical blue-collar variety Italian-Poles that you might mimic on SNL's "Superfans" -- Daaaaaaa Bearce!)
The points above give Chicago a very "small time" vibe. Sometimes I'd have to remind myself I was a in a big international city. Some areas of the city had me scratching my head. The bigotry in def in Chicago. It still amazes me, Chicago is not that progressive. Some things are and some are not.

It's the have's and have not's. Sad part is, it's the "have not's" that hate the other "have not's" the most.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:32 AM

171 posts, read 325,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash View Post
NYC-pros:don't need a car, food/women from all over world, great museums, live music, etc. cons: weather, cost of living
Phoenix-pros:no humidity, low costs, good airport, friendly women, lax dress codes for jobs. cons: 1070/immigration fever, summer heat, too spread out/bad transit, not as diverse
I understand that this is your perception. The reality is that if the federal government was actually doing its job in enforcing its own immigration laws, AZ would not need SB1070, and if you think illegal immigration has not cost the state of AZ, which is one of the main reasons for SB1070 (thanks to the federal government not paying for the upkeep/enforcement of the border), think again. The liberal media has made a mockery of SB1070 and put their own spin on it to the point that THEY are the ones who look stupid for not even understanding it. Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by Phoenix being "not as diverse". In what way? As far as being spread out, it's nice to finally see more things happening downtown as we need a better downtown; however, the Phoenix metro surely isn't the most spread-out metro in the country by far (just another misconception).

Old 04-29-2012, 09:52 PM

239 posts, read 509,244 times
NYC

Pros:
-Diversity. You can find almost any race, ethnicity, and religion, political views, social views, hipster, high-end business worker, middle-of-the-road type, college students, etc.
-Cosmopolitan
-Walkability and Urbanity
-Excellent public transportation
-Enough entertainment available to keep one occupied for years
-Great museums
-Good zoo (Bronx Zoo)
-Vibrancy and Energy
-General worldliness

Cons:
-Ridiculously high COL
-Lifestyle seems to be too hectic and fast paced
-High density (not good for people who like more elbow room)
-Overpopulation/overcrowded. After growing up right outside NYC I see many downfalls with overcrowding of a city, e.g. extremely bad traffic and stores are always crowded
-Subway system is not well kept and dirty
-Lack of green space (other than Central Park)
-Not within close proximity to most outdoor activity for the outdoor enthusiast. It takes about at least 2 hours to get to the Catskills or Eastern LI. Unlike NYC, Western cities such as San Diego, Denver, Seattle, and LA have easier access to more outdoor activity, and Miami has easy access to pristine beaches and the Keys making it easier to get some time away from the "city life".
-I'll get bashed for this but with the exception of some areas of Brooklyn and Queens, and a few hotspots in the Bronx, the boroughs outside of Manhattan aren't that appealing in terms of vibrancy and aesthetics IMO.

Last edited by JCNNY; 04-29-2012 at 10:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.