U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 02:10 AM

24,682 posts, read 49,060,480 times

Advertisements

In my experience:

Most:

San Diego
New Orleans
Memphis

Least:

Boston

Medium:

Los Angeles
New York
Washington DC
Las Vegas
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 02:15 AM

475 posts, read 433,875 times
Los Angeles. I live here and i certainly dont talk to someone i dont know. I dont even know who my neighboors are lol !

Old 04-27-2012, 11:38 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,196,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Los Angeles. I live here and i certainly dont talk to someone i dont know. I dont even know who my neighboors are lol !
That's sad. I chat with people from my block when we happen to be walking up to the MUNI (street car) stop at the same time in the morning.

San Francisco can be kind of a mixed bag. In non-threatening places its pretty easy to strike up little conversations with other people. If you happen to be in a casual eatery or bar and talking about places to go or things to do I've had people from other nearby tables chime in with opinions or suggestions. I've also been in shops with friends looking for something and a person would overhear and suggest another place to try. I've been walking from the station to work downtown and see something funny or weird on the street and the people around me would laugh and comment on it to each other. I think having a more pedestrian friendly and denser city fosters that sort of interaction.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:13 PM

14,796 posts, read 21,545,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
That's sad. I chat with people from my block when we happen to be walking up to the MUNI (street car) stop at the same time in the morning.

San Francisco can be kind of a mixed bag. In non-threatening places its pretty easy to strike up little conversations with other people. If you happen to be in a casual eatery or bar and talking about places to go or things to do I've had people from other nearby tables chime in with opinions or suggestions. I've also been in shops with friends looking for something and a person would overhear and suggest another place to try. I've been walking from the station to work downtown and see something funny or weird on the street and the people around me would laugh and comment on it to each other. I think having a more pedestrian friendly and denser city fosters that sort of interaction.
Things like that happen in New Orleans everyday. A pedestrian friendly atmosphere caters to personal interactions like these.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:50 PM

14,743 posts, read 30,318,334 times
Quote:
It must be a last couple of decades thing, or you live in an apartment building.

When I was growing up there, with the exception of a few people who hibernated (depressed, something mysterious, ultra-private), I'd say we knew 85% of the people on our block. Many of them were constantly outside, walking dogs and loved to B.S.

Most:
Indianapolis
Houston
Jacksonville

Least:
Seattle
Portland
Boston

Medium:
Los Angeles
Bay Area
New York - more so in middle-class suburbia, where I'd actually kick it into Most
Chicago
Atlanta

Old 04-27-2012, 02:21 PM

11,288 posts, read 23,632,051 times
Most people here will not randomly talk to strangers, and I like it that way. They're not being mean, people just tend to give others more personal space. Of course I don't have a car so when I'm on the bus/train/walking I'm usually going to work or trying to get something accomplished. Most people are like this, and aren't as likely to just start blathering to you and trying to chit chat. I'd rather have my peace and quiet on my way to/from work.

People are more inclined to talk to you at the beach or a park than just walking down the street. I'll say hi to the cashier at the store, but there's way less of the mindless babble than I'd see back home in Iowa when I'd go to the store.

Cab drivers are always a crap shoot. I take maybe 5-8 cabs a week, and it seems the times I really want to be quiet the guy won't shut up talking, and the times I'm drunk and chatty they just sit there stone cold silent.

I'm sure they all love my drunk questions. It's usually "where are you from? How long have you been in the USA? Do you like Chicago? How about those winters, that was probably a shock. Do you ever make it back home?, etc. etc".

Old 04-27-2012, 02:42 PM

475 posts, read 433,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
But in LA no one walks.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:47 PM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,494,832 times
Quote:
But in LA no one walks.
Since when is Muni in LA?

But yes, many people in LA do in fact walk to where they need to be.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:01 PM

24,682 posts, read 49,060,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Since when is Muni in LA?

But yes, many people in LA do in fact walk to where they need to be.
LA has it's pedestrian precincts, but they tend to be full of mostly tourists. Hollywood, WeHo, Venice, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, parts of Downtown, Silver Lake.etc.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:55 PM

9,965 posts, read 15,591,862 times
If you're a pretty girl there's probably a much greater chance that strangers are going to want to talk to you in most American cities... If you're a grizzled old weirdo who looks like Charles Bukowski and smells like Scotch, most likely no strangers will want to talk to you, even in the friendliest of American cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.