Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 12:12 PM

4 posts, read 13,423 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband and I are getting ready to relocate, hopefully this summer. We currently live in Yakima, WA, and have all our lives. We have narrowed it down to Denver, CO or Nashville, TN. I know that may seem like a strange pair, but Nashville got my vote and Denver got his, so now we're just trying to settle on one or the other. We lived in Nashville for a summer while I was doing an internship at the zoo. We also have visited Denver, but only briefly, and we have a couple friends in the area who love it there. I've read through many posts in the forum, but everyone's situation is different, so I figured I would post and see what everyone has to say. Any advice or helpful opinions will be greatly appreciated!

My husband is in the IT field with two Associate's degrees, CISCO certification, and is almost finished with his Bachelor's in management (IT focus), plus has been working in the field full-time for 4 years.

I will be looking for a zookeeping job. I have connections at the Nashville zoo since I did my internship there, and getting on staff shouldn't be an issue (my old supervisor calls me every time there's an opening to see if we are ready to move yet). It may be tougher to get on in Denver, since they don't know me and also seem to have higher requirements as far as previous experience. But, my husband is the main earner and we can live without me working (and I can get a job elsewhere in the meantime).

We will be renting, not buying. We have two dogs and a cat, so we'll need to rent a pet-friendly house, preferably with a fenced yard. We do not want to live in the city, but within a 30 minute drive would be preferable. Small is fine, we have no plans for kids for at least a few years. We can afford around $1000 a month for rent, maybe more depending on his income. Will this be hard to find?

We are both 25 years old but we are not into bars, clubs, or nightlife really. We do enjoy outdoor activities, especially when we can take our dogs. I love country music which would be an added bonus in Nashville. Also, my husband is an avid hunter. Any other hunters out there with insights? He especially loves duck hunting, but enjoys it all.

Can anyone tell me about the differences in cost of living? Obviously we understand the weather in these two cities is dramatically different. I'll be working outdoors, how bad are the Denver winters, really? Our winters here in Yakima bring a decent amount of snow (some years) and get down to below zero temperatures. Anything else I haven't thought of?

I apologize for the lengthy post. I'm a very indecisive person, and my husband has left the ultimate decision up to me. I'm working on a pros/cons list right now, so any input will be very helpful!! Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 12:24 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Even though I'm a Westerner and not fond of Denver (not into skiing, mountain sports, the apparel that goes with that, Boulder and Subarus), I still would take Denver to Nashville, and look for a neighborhood that is less "cliche" to live in. I've heard nice things about Nashville, but I've driven through it on I-24 (?), and it is too far from anything interesting.

The Denver winter is an absolute misconception. Denver will get these cold snaps flowing in from Canada and they will immobilize the city every now and then. However, the bright sun and warmer temperatures will melt what has been dumped in no time. It can be fairly warm (over 50F) on many days during the winter in Denver, and that metro area has about 300 days of sunshine a year.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:43 PM

654 posts, read 1,910,032 times
Robert is right on the winters in Denver. They aren't that bad.

I think Denver is a better place to live than Nashville but that may not be fair since I lived in Denver but never been to Nashville. That being said, I think I would be very tempted to go to Nashville if I were you. You have a solid connection for a job there and not in Denver. You didn't mention a better job situation for your husband in one place or the other. I would give this heavy priority.

You can google cost of living calculators to help in that. I don't think I can provide the links here or I would.

Wish I could be more help.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:16 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Honestly, Denver would probably be the easiest transition weather-wise. Nashville has humidity which obviously Yakima just doesn't have. Denver and Yakima are very similar in terms of being dry.

Nashville has the lower COL (more affordable homes, lower property taxes, no income tax), a bigger hunting and fishing culture, and that edge in job opportunity for you. Plus its green and hilly-- which you might like better than Denver.

As mentioned by PP, you didn't say anything about your husband's job prospects... are they better in one than the other?

Old 04-27-2012, 02:27 PM

He hasn't started the job hunt yet, we had a lot of family stuff going on and haven't been able to really think about moving until now. Since he's in the IT field (networking, security, admin, programming, etc) he can work pretty much anywhere, unlike me who wants to work at a zoo. He's very skilled at what he does, so we'll just have to see. I don't think either city necessarily has an edge in that aspect.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:37 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,927 times
I'd love to tell you to move to denver because I think I'd rather live there myself but all the signs are pointing to nashville. You have a job lined up. You'll enjoy the music scene.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:00 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirren View Post
Can anyone tell me about the differences in cost of living? Obviously we understand the weather in these two cities is dramatically different. I'll be working outdoors, how bad are the Denver winters, really? Our winters here in Yakima bring a decent amount of snow (some years) and get down to below zero temperatures. Anything else I haven't thought of?
With 100 being the National Average score, Cost of Living (lower number is better):

Groceries:

Nashville-Davidson 95
Denver 103
Yakima 92

Housing cost:

Nashville-Davidson 93
Denver 129
Yakima 79

Utilities cost:

Nashville-Davidson 88
Denver 91
Yakima 81

Transportation cost:

Nashville-Davidson 90
Denver 98
Yakima 99

Misc. (clothing, restaurants, repairs, entertainment, etc.)

Nashville-Davidson 104
Denver 108
Yakima 97

Cost of Living-wise, you are going to feel it in the pocketbook because Yakima is better than both places except on transportation costs.

-------------------------------------------------

Rainfall (annual inches)

Nashville-Davidson 48
Denver 12.6
Yakima 8.2

Snow (annual inches)

Nashville-Davidson 10.3
Denver 53.8
Yakima 23.9

Comfort Index (higher number is better - afternoon summer temperatures and humidity figure in the formula)

Nashville-Davidson 35
Denver 57
Yakima 66

Sunny Days (per yr)

Nashville-Davidson 205
Denver 245
Yakima 199

Air Quality (higher number is better 100 = best)

Nashville-Davidson 31.1
Denver 45
Yakima 84
USA 82.8

Water Quality (higher number is better 100 = best)

Nashville-Davidson 69
Denver 87
Yakima 53
USA 55

I don't know, Yakima is lookin' pretty good.

Last edited by JMT; 07-26-2012 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Sending someone to Google to look for a city-data competitor is a no-no.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:02 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
To the OP: Denver!

Old 04-27-2012, 03:20 PM

364 posts, read 496,512 times
Unemployment rates through February:

Denver 8.2%
Nashville 7.1%

Either area will be nice. I think it comes to personal preference. I would probably choose Nashville. It is growing and more opportunities should become available.

I just think of Denver as one of the most isolated places around with no other major city anywhere close.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't know, Yakima is lookin' pretty good.
Well, maybe to someone who's never been here! But I've lived here my whole 24 years and I hate it!! Don't get me wrong, there are a few good aspects, but for me the bad outweighs the good by a TON! :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.