Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 05:30 PM

350 posts, read 740,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Cities are crowded and noisy. I personally would prefer somewhere much smaller than where I am now. A nice little town in the country. Or better living on several acres outside of a little town where my nearest neighbors are not on an adjacent lot, but down the road somewhere. The only problem with that is, there aren't really any jobs there. Someday I will find a way to make it work though, and rid myself of the city life for good.
In some professions there are actually more jobs or it is easier to get a job in a small town! Think the professions (medical, dental, legal, accounting, health, also teaching). If you do land a job in a small town you are also likely to enjoy more stable employment, better bosses and job security - where everybody knows everybody its within your best interest to treat people right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 06:59 PM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Keep in mind that according to the US Census, any community around 2500 people is considered to be urban. So, a village like this is urban: Lowville, NY 13367
Lowville (village), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
In some professions there are actually more jobs or it is easier to get a job in a small town! Think the professions (medical, dental, legal, accounting, health, also teaching). If you do land a job in a small town you are also likely to enjoy more stable employment, better bosses and job security - where everybody knows everybody its within your best interest to treat people right!
Very true. Employees are easily replaced in big cities.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:31 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
City-Data.com (not for forums) is a site where people come for information on cities (which include suburbs; most suburbs around here at least are incorporated as cities) and zip codes. City-Data.com forums started out in 2006 for people looking to relocate wanting information on their relocation prospects. It only later grew into the major forums site it is today. So it never was about urban "cities" per se.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
I never want to live in a city, but I'm still here. I even met my husband here.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The question was "Why do so many people on city-data...uhh...not like cities?" I answered the question.
You did?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
I was wondering the same thing, regarding NCN's post. A ramble that makes next to no sense... a city is a strip mall and a medical center? Followed by a rant about Charlotte; an overexaggeration about how you'd get killed just going into the city to see a show. Uhh... sure.

Usually people who have spent their whole lives in the country or suburbs have that mentality. People are moving away from that though, but I'm surprised so many people still think that way.
That was my general reaction..

Old 05-01-2012, 08:07 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Nearly every census-designated place in the USA with over a couple of thousand people is officially status-classified as cities according to municipality laws in that state. Who are you to tell us that people living the the City of Tucumcari NM or the City of Ludowici GA have no right to participate in a forum about cities??
I'm sorry, but this is wrong.

The census does a...census...of local governments every 5 years according to Wikipedia, they last found (in 2007):

19,429 municipalities (cities)
16,504 townships (which also includes New England towns, even though they are incorporated like cities elsewhere)

Towns or townships form the vast majority of municipalities in all the New England states. They also predominate in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Kansas, South Dakota, and North Dakota. They are also present in large numbers in New Jersey, Missouri, and Nebraska.

The "calling every incorporated place a city" is really a Southern/Western thing.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm surprised, given this forum is called city-data.com, I see a lot of posts (albeit not the majority) which talk about cities being crime-filled wastelands, cesspools of corruption, etc.

What would bring a poster who does not like American cities to post on a forum...about cities? I mean, I'm not going to say GTFO go to a site called suburb-data.com. This is not meant as a troll thread. I'm just genuinely curious why someone who doesn't like cities would come to the forum.
Theres a lot more to the City Data site than just this forum, Click on the City Data Logo at the top of the page and you'll see just how much else City Data comprises..

Old 05-01-2012, 08:23 AM

350 posts, read 740,915 times
Quote:

The "calling every incorporated place a city" is really a Southern/Western thing.
Is the South and the West really less a part of America than the North and the East?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
That's because they are cities. Yall have incorporated townships, we have unincorporated townships and incorporated cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.