Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think is the Divide Line between North and South?
Interstate 70 11 7.64%
U.S. Route 50 13 9.03%
Mason-Dixie Line & Ohio River 67 46.53%
U.S. Route 60 29 20.14%
Other 30 20.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:45 AM

95 posts, read 281,780 times

Advertisements

What is the best possible Divide Line between the North and the South?

I disagree that the Mason-Dixie Line and the Ohio River is a good indication of the boundary between the North and the South. The U.S. Government only used it to plan out the statehood while trying to admit both free and slave states equally.

My Reasons:

Maryland and Delaware are just below the Mason-Dixie Line making them part of the South while they are absolutely not southern culturally with the exception of rural areas.

There are southern parts of several northern states, such as Illinois, Missouri, Indiana, and Ohio that feel more southern culturally.

In my own definition, the best Divide Line between the North and the South is U.S. Route 50.

U.S. Route 50 runs several miles south along I-70. Therefore, it runs south of most cities, such as Washington, D.C., Pittsburgh, south around Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Missouri cities of St. Louis and Kansas City (cities that are not southern at all or in a transitional zone like Cincinnati).

What do you think of mine? If you beg to differ, what is your Divide Line?

The purpose of this is to be a fun thread for all of us geography buffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 10:47 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,927,318 times
There is no true dividing line anymore. There is too much blur

Old 05-01-2012, 10:56 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleanianLA1 View Post
What is the best possible Divide Line between the North and the South?

I disagree that the Mason-Dixie Line and the Ohio River is a good indication of the boundary between the North and the South. The U.S. Government only used it to plan out the statehood while trying to admit both free and slave states equally.

My Reasons:

Maryland and Delaware are just below the Mason-Dixie Line making them part of the South while they are absolutely not southern culturally with the exception of rural areas.

There are southern parts of several northern states, such as Illinois, Missouri, Indiana, and Ohio that feel more southern culturally.

In my own definition, the best Divide Line between the North and the South is U.S. Route 50.

U.S. Route 50 runs several miles south along I-70. Therefore, it runs south of most cities, such as Washington, D.C., Pittsburgh, south around Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Missouri cities of St. Louis and Kansas City (cities that are not southern at all or in a transitional zone like Cincinnati).

What do you think of mine? If you beg to differ, what is your Divide Line?

The purpose of this is to be a fun thread for all of us geography buffs.

Actually DE is bove the Mason Dixon line; the line follows the PA/MD border to DE then makes a 90 degree turn and heads South along the DE/MD border

Techinicall speaking DE has points north and south of the of the Mason Dixon line. Also NJ has areas south (the southern most point of NJ is rought]ly the exact same latitude as DC) and north of the Mason Dixon line

Old 05-01-2012, 10:57 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Route 50 may make more sense; though not sure I consider WV southern which 50 would cut the state in half

Old 05-01-2012, 11:26 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,118 times
A combination of US 60, The Ohio River, and a few other localized factors.

A line is a pretty rough estimation anyway. Here in Southeast Missouri, different communities are more southern/northern depending on various factors such as history and immigration patterns. U.S. 60 is a decent approximation around here but I would say it's probably 25-30 miles too far south for a true dividing line. Places 20 miles north of U.S. 60 are still pretty southern culturally.

Maybe somewhere around the line on my attachment for SE Missouri.
Attached Thumbnails
What is the true Divide Line between the North and the South?-mo_det_lg.jpg  

Last edited by GunnerTHB; 05-01-2012 at 11:34 AM..

Old 05-01-2012, 11:34 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times
True dividing line between North and South? The line where those on one side don't give a crap, and those on the other side think there needs to be a line.

Really we are still discussing this question? Why does there have to be a dividing line between two areas of the same Country? There is so much blending between States and areas now that the whole North/South discussion is pointless and rather stupid.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
I voted US 60, although the line goes north as it goes east to capture most (all) of Kentucky and most of West Virginia and Virginia.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:45 AM

767 posts, read 2,290,408 times
I think I-20 is the line.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:06 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
I think I-20 is the line.
....Little Rock, Memphis, Chattanooga, and Knoxville

Old 05-01-2012, 12:20 PM

95 posts, read 281,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
A combination of US 60, The Ohio River, and a few other localized factors.

A line is a pretty rough estimation anyway. Here in Southeast Missouri, different communities are more southern/northern depending on various factors such as history and immigration patterns. U.S. 60 is a decent approximation around here but I would say it's probably 25-30 miles too far south for a true dividing line. Places 20 miles north of U.S. 60 are still pretty southern culturally.

Maybe somewhere around the line on my attachment for SE Missouri.
Although I still stand by U.S. Route 50 more than U.S. 60, I still agree with you because Cape Girardeau feels more southern despite many people claiming it to be Midwestern.

Even a smaller town of St. Genevieve is more Midwestern than CG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.