Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Fair points, but thats the thing about InNOut, is they are extremely well run. Clean, well paid employees. Everyone has been to a bad McD's or other, thats obviously a poorly run franchise. That wont happen at In N Out, they are all company owned and amazingly consistent. But back to the topic, part of their lore is their SoCal image.

Also, that Zagats survey (which Ive already quoted), also has this:
And thats the only one I found with them at #2.
Top Food

1. In-N-Out Burger
  2. Chick-fil-A
  3. Papa Murphy's
  4. Five Guys
  5. Chipotle Mexican Grill
I hope I didn't come across as inferring that In-N-Out has bad food or doesn't deserve its reputation. I'm definitely not saying that. I mean, from what I've read and from looking at the pictures, I'd go to In-N-Out any day over McDonald's and probably any other fast food burger place with similar prices. I'm just not convinced the place is popular because it's from California, as stated in the OP. From the sound of it, it seems more likely that it's popular because the food's good and the prices are reasonable, which is a winning combination if there ever was one.

Incidentally, I'm not a big fan of Five Guy's burgers, but I like their fries and LOVE their hot dogs. In middle TN, my favorite burger place was Fat Mo's, but that's for another thread I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 09:10 PM

134 posts, read 243,198 times
In N Out is hugely popular because they make ridiculously good burgers, and people have heard that through years of word of mouth, and are excited to try it.

It has zero, nothing, nada, zip to do with the "California Image". Seriously, wtf does that even mean? Is InNOut now a theme food place like Outback Steakhouse?

Heck, for that matter is anybody eating at Outback because of their "Australian Image"? Are people eating at Popeye's Chicken because of the "New Orleans image" or just because they like the fried chicken? You could do this all day with all sorts of other food items from Gorton's Fish Sticks (Gloucester Mass) to Maine Lobster. I doubt anyone sitting down to a Maine Lobster does so because it "reminds them of the Maine mystique, image, and style." No, they are eating it because Maine Lobsters are freakin' delicious. Same with In N Out.

California cheerleaders are an odd bunch. They have more in common with Texans than either would care to admit.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:13 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
The anti-California crowd has developed this bizarre delusion in which they cannot admit that In-N-Out's popularity has anything to do with being from California. That's just how strong their dislike for California is. They'd rather believe it's entirely about the quality of the burgers...than the "California" vibe that In-N-Out generates.

They also want to believe that absolutely everyone who waited in line for In-N-Out..was originally from California, and the amount of Texans who waited in line, was very small. The Texans are more fascinated by it than the Californians. No one in California would brag that a place was from Texas - the same way Texas would about a place from California.

If you made the In-N-Out paradox argument with any other state, they simply wouldn't care.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:26 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
The anti-California crowd has developed this bizarre delusion in which they cannot admit that In-N-Out's popularity has anything to do with being from California. That's just how strong their dislike for California is. They'd rather believe it's entirely about the quality of the burgers...than the "California" vibe that In-N-Out generates.

They also want to believe that absolutely everyone who waited in line for In-N-Out..was originally from California, and the amount of Texans who waited in line, was very small. The Texans are more fascinated by it than the Californians. No one in California would brag that a place was from Texas - the same way Texas would about a place from California.

If you made the In-N-Out paradox argument with any other state, they simply wouldn't care.
What a bizarre belief you have. Who cares where a place is from? If it's good, it will thrive. If it's not, it won't. It doesn't matter where it's from. There is no ubitiquous "they," everyone is an individual. I don't think like my neighbor just because I live by him. I don't think like my brother because he's my brother. We are individuals, and there is no herd mentality regarding a hamburger joint.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:29 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:

Californians must be obsessed with Texas because they like to barbeque out there too & everyone outside of the United States automatically associates anything barbeque with Texas, not Kansas, Tennessee, or Carolina.

This is how ridicuolus you are sounding right about now.

Per Wiki

In much of the world outside of the American South, barbecue has a close association with Texas. Many barbecue restaurants outside the United States claim to serve "Texas barbecue", regardless of the style they actually serve. Texas barbecue is often assumed to be primarily beef. This assumption, along with the inclusive term "Texas barbecue", is an oversimplification. Texas has four main styles, all with different flavors, different cooking methods, different ingredients, and different cultural origins. (cf. Barbecue in the United States) In the June 2008 issue of Texas Monthly Magazine Snow's BBQ in Lexington was rated as the best BBQ in the state of Texas. This ranking was reinforced when New Yorker Magazine also claimed that Snow's BBQ was "The Best Texas BBQ in the World".[

Last edited by Metro Matt; 05-06-2012 at 09:46 PM..

Old 05-06-2012, 10:06 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times
Quote:

Why are you so fixated on this? Even if it was true, who cares...I mean, what's your point? Doesn't matter anyway, since you have no evidence that is In-N-Out's huge popularity is more about latent California jealousy than genius branding and commitment to quality. You have no evidence that it's mostly Texans, not Californian transplants waiting in line at the new Texas In-N-Outs. It's not really a delusion to think the opposite, since you have provided nothing to back up your claim. Nothing bizarre about it.

First the 'z' at the end of Jonez, then your ridiculous 'Narnian City' thread, now this? You're quickly solidifying yourself as the most massive tool on the forum.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:

The Crispy Creme craze was bigger and had a lot more staying power than the In and Out buzz.

Btw, as a huge hamburger fan, I have to say that place is way overrated. I was much more excited about getting Carl's Jr. But the fact is that we just don't eat much fast food, period. And Crispy Creme never held a candle to Dunkin or even our grocery store donuts.

People like to try new and trendy. Get over yourself.

-A former Californian

Old 05-06-2012, 10:52 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The Crispy Creme craze was bigger and had a lot more staying power than the In and Out buzz.

Btw, as a huge hamburger fan, I have to say that place is way overrated. I was much more excited about getting Carl's Jr. But the fact is that we just don't eat much fast food, period. And Crispy Creme never held a candle to Dunkin or even our grocery store donuts.

People like to try new and trendy. Get over yourself.

-A former Californian
I wouldn't say that. In Daly City a lot of land was developed for both a Krispy Kreme and In-N-Out. Both opened within a month of each other and Krispy Kreme was a dead zone after a month while even to this day (years later) In-N-Out is packed beyond belief, and that is with another location just a few miles down the freeway in Millbrae.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:17 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
A few months old, but I got a kick out of it anyways, no pun intended.

Whataburger Welcomes In N Out To The Lonestar State - Texas style, sends each restaurant a pair of orange cowboy boots.

http://http://eater.com/archives/2011/05/12/whataburger-sends-orange-cowboy-boots-to-innout.php (broken link)

Texas-based burger chain Whataburger — with 120 locations in the Dallas-Fort Worth area — isn't worried about a little friendly competition from In-N-Out, which just opened two new locations in Dallas. (Despite the fact that people camped out waiting for In-N-Out to open and that their hamburgers are literally driving people to tears.) In fact, they sent a pair of cowboy boots to the new restaurants. How neighborly!
The Larry Mahan ostrich-skinned boots were made in Whataburger's signature orange. A spokesperson said: "At Whataburger, our Texas roots run deep. What better way to welcome west coast In-N-Out than with a pair of real cowboy boots." A little bit of a reminder the California-based In-N-Out is on foreign turf?
Here's the press release:
The press release. >>>
WHATABURGER WELCOMES CALIFORNIA'S IN-N-OUT TO THE LONE STAR STATE(SAN ANTONIO – May 12, 2011) Whataburger, a Texas burger icon for more than 60 years, welcomes California’s In-N-Out to the Lone Star State. To show its Texas hospitality, Whataburger will have orange cowboy boots delivered to In-N-Out’s new Frisco and Allen locations.
“As two companies with similar principles, putting the highest value on quality and freshness, we look forward to a little friendly competition,” said Joel Griffiths, Regional Director of Operations, Whataburger Restaurants, L.P. “At Whataburger, our Texas roots run deep. What better way to welcome west coast In-N-Out than with a pair of real cowboy boots.”
Whataburger has a long and rich history in the Lone Star State, having started as a small roadside burger stand in Corpus Christi, Texas in 1950. Today, Whataburger is still famous for its fresh, never-frozen, made-to-order burgers and friendly customer service. Whataburger is also known for using a five-inch bun, rather than the industry standard four-inch bun, to serve up Texas-sized burgers for Texas-sized appetites. Still family owned and operated, Whataburger was declared a Texas Treasure by 77th Texas Legislature.
With more than 120 locations in the DFW area, including restaurants in both Allen and Frisco, it doesn’t matter if you are a night owl or an early bird; Whataburger is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 364 days a year.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:23 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
Good grief, 27 pages in six days? OMG.

Bottom line, In 'n Out has good burgers, but somehow their reputation has become WAY better than the actual burger. Really. They ARE good, but not that good. This is out of control. In fact, many local burger places are better, but the "name" and the "rep" is all that counts. OK, that is cool, and I don't dismiss it, but at the end of the day, why all the rush? Really, they may taste good, but sitting in a drive-thru for 15 minutes, is it really worth it? Oh, wait...it is. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.