Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:10 PM

32 posts, read 81,015 times

Advertisements

As a Texan, I don't hate California. It was a nice place when I visited it earlier this year (Highway 1 was awesome). Most of the people I talked to were really friendly. I had to try In & Out as I had heard many Californians talk about how good it was before heading out there (and one was right across the street from my hotel). It was pretty good fast food. I think the bloated state/local governments of California are what most people view negatively about the state. That said, I hope to be able to go back sometime in the near future. I would love to see the Sierras and Yosemite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 11:16 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
People are envious of California. Its the lifestyle perception. Trend setting. Any Hollister t-shirts out there.
No need for Hollister t-shirts in Pittsburgh, where American Eagle Outfitters and rue21 are both headquartered.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:24 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
While we were inside at Ft Worth store, below picture. The parking lot jam packed; Ft Worth police were there, 2 employees directing traffic.
I took the second shot on the edge of the in n out parking lot. This is the Wendys next door; note the sign saying "No In N Out Parking", and if you look closely there is a Wendys employess taking a break siting against the building staring at In N Out....

Old 05-01-2012, 11:25 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
No need for Hollister t-shirts in Pittsburgh, where American Eagle Outfitters and rue21 are both headquartered.

Not saying I like 'em, but I swear every kid wears them. AE is big too.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:28 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,656 times
The In-N-Out Burger in Daly City is a gold mine..That place is always packed!!

I don't care much for their food personally. The menu is too basic. Bacon in a burger? Forget it

Plus the wait in the lines makes it that much harder when there is a Carl's Jr. (Hardy's for you folks out East) just down the street

Just like to mention that Daly City has had a In-N-Out for years and it's still packed.

Last edited by Fastphilly; 05-01-2012 at 11:40 PM..

Old 05-02-2012, 12:34 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
One thing I really like about In-N-Out beside their fresh made to order food is that they treat their employees really well overall. I worked their in high school and was getting paid $10/hr when I left in 2001, which is pretty good back then for a teenager in the service industry. My store manager made $120K and all the managers made $45-75K. They pay really well overall for their industry. It's too bad other companies in the service industry don't pay as decent wages.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:41 AM

196 posts, read 658,815 times
I gotta agree and disagree with the thread starter.

Like New York, California has the benefit of a HUGE media monopoly on American culture and we have to hear about New York or California things constantly being rammed down our throats by natives, celebrities, and the media constantly, so of course if Hollywood celebrities and media types are going on about In-N-Out, just by the curiosity of seeing what it's about, you're going to get a lot of business at first.

I disagree because it's not really a "California" thing as much as it is a "Hollywood/L.A." thing. Nobody gives a damn about 99% of California. Nobody outside of California cares about Sacramento, San Jose, San Diego, etc. . . .

The reason people hate California is because we send all the weirdos, psychos, and crazies that can't fit into our relative areas to California so they can be "free spirits".

Couple that with the obnoxiousness of Hollywood in it's need to undermine the values of the rest of the country and there ya go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I disagree completely with your thesis. It's about the food to these people who like it so much, and the fact that it's not locally available but much loved by those who know it that attracts the curious. If the chain was founded in Nebraska, Alaska, Maine or Hawaii and the food was the same then the reaction would still be the same.

I'll give you an example of the hype that popular food places can have. In 2002 Krispy Kreme started a huge expansion campaign into New England and at first everyone went because everyone wanted to see what the big deal was and why the rest of the country loves it so much. There were newspaper articles and coverage about the lines of people going to see what was up with the place, lots of hype. And then it failed. Everyone went back to Dunkin Donuts and all but one Krispy Kreme in New England closed.

The point of that example isn't that the place closed, it's about the power those popular places can have where they expand somewhere new. It ended up that no one really liked it as much as Dunkin and other places we have here but Krispy Kreme caused a huge buzz when it came here because people were still very curious. Krispy Kreme is from North Carolina and it generated the same kind of hype In-N-Out does in new places, it has nothing to do with being a place that happened to start in California. The hype for that place comes from the adoration others see from its local fans.
Oh yeah, I remember the Krispy Kreme phenomenon about what, 5 years ago. Those were soooo good. It even reached a fever pitch here in the Midwest at that point.

Totally forgot about it until you brought it up. I guess the "newness" does wear off.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:14 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,756,006 times
I agree, when most of the country thinks of California...they think of Southern California. I don't think New York is on the same level of influence as California, in terms of pop culture at least. Financially, it is on par.

The reality is, everywhere would think having an In-N-Out makes them, "more like California". Even the ones who hate California - would be incessantly bragging if their city got one, and nearest bigger city did not have one. It would take over any local "foodie" topic, without even having to be a gourmet meal.

I've seen Dallas use it against Houston. And it seems effective.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:35 AM

59 posts, read 123,947 times
Coming from the upper Midwest, I think the mega-state pissing contest is a little overblown. Texas is better, no California! No, New York!!! No, you're all wrong! Florida!!!!

Sometimes I wonder if this is what the rest of the world sees when they look at the way Americans talk about their country.

"Dude, American cities are SOOO much cooler than any others."
"Yeah, and our culture's more relevant."
"Let's talk about how much better we are, ignore the massive problems inherent in our systems of government and business and let the smaller, more agile countries pass us up."

But hey, don't let me impede your riveting discussion on which artery clogging hell-hole is best; I'm all ears.

Last edited by bananamana; 05-02-2012 at 04:55 AM..

Old 05-02-2012, 05:55 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times
This thread is silly. First of all, I had no idea that in and out burger was from California so the chain being founded somewhere else would have no bearing on my decision making. I'm willing to bet lots of people have no idea where their favorite chain restaurants were founded.
Secondly I've had in and out and and is nothing special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.