Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 06:32 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
San Jose and Los Angeles are not directly connected by an Interstate!
I can't believe that nobody has challenged this one yet.
San Jose is served by (the)880, (the)280 and (the)680: all within the city limits.
Los Angeles without Interstates? That's laughable. (the)5, (the)105, (the)405, (the)10, (the)110 & (the)210 all pass through Los Angeles proper. I added all the "the"s so that Californians would understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 03:11 PM

24 posts, read 54,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I can't believe that nobody has challenged this one yet.
San Jose is served by (the)880, (the)280 and (the)680: all within the city limits.
Los Angeles without Interstates? That's laughable. (the)5, (the)105, (the)405, (the)10, (the)110 & (the)210 all pass through Los Angeles proper. I added all the "the"s so that Californians would understand.
I think the discussion had shifted to what major cities aren't link by interstate. The response was San Jose to Los Angeles.

Back to the original topic... Santa Barbara/Santa Maria both two cities at 100K don't have an interstate highway. Salinas, CA also doesn't have access to an interstate and they are over 150k in population. Both cities only have access to US 101.

The Brownsville, TX area is now on an Interstate Highway because of I-69. Strangely I saw that US 83 which runs east to west through south Texas is now designated as I-2 and signs are supposed to be posted this summer. State adds I-69 to interstate system - Brownsville Herald: Valley
Quote:
The east-west U.S. 83 freeway that connects more than a dozen Valley cities has been designated as Interstate 2, Shepard said in a statement.
“It extends approximately 46 miles from Harlingen to west of Mission,” she said. “U.S. 83 was not designated by Congress as part of I-69 but the Alliance for I-69 Texas and community leaders have insisted over the years that it should be considered an interstate highway connector between the legs of I-69.”

Old 06-13-2013, 04:42 PM

623 posts, read 957,915 times
Anchorage. In the US, doesn't have an interstate. The congestion on some of the main arteries is ridiculous though.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:15 PM

494 posts, read 804,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
However, Fresno still has a freeway, which is more important than the question of whether it is designated as an interstate highway or not.

The largest city that is not connected by a 4-lane road to the interstate system is San Angelo, Texas, whose 92,000 people have to drive on many miles of 2-lane road in order access the interstate network.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volunteeroads View Post
I saw a plan for a new interstate from Raleigh, NC to Norfolk,VA. I am studying civil engineering and I am interested in new and convenient interstate routes, I saw a golden possibility that an interstate highway can be constructed from Raleigh,NC to Wilmington,DE or maybe even to Philadelphia,PA. The Interstate would connect Raleigh to Elizabeth City, NC. Elizabeth City to Norfolk,VA. Norfolk to Salisbury,Md. Then from Salisbury to the current toll way in Dover that goes to Wilmington,DE.

When entering Norfolk, the new interstate could take the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel from Norfolk to the Virginia Peninsula since it is already upgraded to interstate standards. Then it would go through the Virginia Peninsula which would be a great oppurtunity to bring more tourism and business from Virgina mainland to the Virginia Peninsula ( the area of Virginia not connected to the mainland Virginia). The interstate would run against highway 13 and continue up to Salisbury,MD. This would give Salisbury pop. 27833 access to a major interstate. Then the interstate would connect Salisbury to Dover as it continues to run along highway 13 and then connects to the current tollway that connects Dover to Wilmington.

Some plans want to name this interstate 44 or interstate 101 (the interstate portion planned to connect Raleigh to Norfolk). However, 44 is already taken in a different part of the country and 101 is three digits which is mainly for bypasses and his interstate needs a name not taken already with a couple of digits.
Believe it or not i heard discussion about this sort of thing nearly 20yrs ago when i was living in DE by the coast. There was even talk of building a bridge/tunnel system across the DE Bay from Cape May NJ to Lewes DE ( North of there is all freeway ) and then taking it along near US 113 to Pocomoke, MD ( where it meets up with US 13 ) then continuing on down to NC. Thus a direct route to the south and vice versa for NYC/Boston that would have avoided the whole Philly/Baltimore/Washington etc areas. People in the Lewes DE area for one were not too enthused about it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
94?
They are also served by I-35 i do believe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick28403 View Post
who decided to give I-99 its number for an interstate that is not near the coast? What a screw up.
Can thank some senator from that part of PA for wasting I-99. I believe he served on the committee who decides this stuff. It is as bad as that I-97 in Maryland which someone else mentioned. A total waste. Now if they connected 97 with US 50/US 301 over the Bay bridge and then 50 to the beach i could see it serving a better purpose. As is? No. Personally the much discussed coastal route from Wilmington DE to NC would have made a much better use for I-97 or I-99..

Old 06-14-2013, 06:58 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
I know it was over a year ago, but the person that said Lexington, KY is not served by an interstate must also think Fort Wayne, IN isn't served by an interstate, which is ridiculous. It seems I-64 comes as close to Lexington as I-69 does to Fort Wayne.

I remember many trips to Fresno when I lived in California. What a pain it was to get around that city. Does anyone know why I-5 travels so far west and avoids all the cities in the central valley? Fresno, Bakersfield, Merced, Madera, Visalia. All skipped by the interstate, though you could argue Bakersfield as it is fairly close to it. But why did they build the interstate so far away?

Old 06-14-2013, 07:09 AM

1,264 posts, read 1,551,946 times
I know the heart of New York was never penetrated with an express way. Originally there were plans to build 3 different expressways through Manhattan put out by Robert Moses. Thankfully, the efforts of preservationists like Jane Jacobs, convinced the city board to vote the plan down in the sixties. In case you were wondering, the lower expressway would have resulted in pretty much the demise of Soho (It went along Broome, and a sea of parking lots probably would have followed)

Old 06-14-2013, 08:13 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
I know the heart of New York was never penetrated with an express way. Originally there were plans to build 3 different expressways through Manhattan put out by Robert Moses. Thankfully, the efforts of preservationists like Jane Jacobs, convinced the city board to vote the plan down in the sixties. In case you were wondering, the lower expressway would have resulted in pretty much the demise of Soho (It went along Broome, and a sea of parking lots probably would have followed)
Im so happy this never came to fruition.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:29 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Im so happy this never came to fruition.
It's insane to look back at the plans for NYC, San Fran, etc. with the multiple expressways gutting the cities.

In Chicago there were plans to build an expressway from where the Edens hits the Kennedy straight through the residential middle of the city and down to the south side where the Dan Ryan and the Skyway meet. It would have called for the demolition of 30,000 housing units. They took that money and instead bulit the Orange Line train to Midway and extended the Blue Line through the northwest side to O'hare.

Chicago: The Crosstown Expressway - Slate Magazine

There were also plans to upgrade and expand all of Lakeshore Drive to interstate standards through the entire city. That was quickly shot down by everyone living near the lake. It was to be interstate 494. That number was then given to the Crosstown....and then given up on.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:40 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Up until the mid-1980s, didn't Boise, Idaho have a stoplight on the freeway which passes thru town?

Old 06-17-2013, 04:46 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Interstate 495 is a weird one. It covers all of Long Island east and to the west it brings you to the midtown tunnel. The city should be where it ends technically but apparently theres also an I-495 in MA but from NYC to MA there isnt a seperate 495 until it picks up again... Essentially making the 495 in MA not connected at all to the one on LI... Does 495 become 95 and then become 495 again once you hit New england?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.