Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:28 AM

469 posts, read 970,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cope1989 View Post
The cultural and national solidarity that exists over such a large and diverse swath of land. The US land area is huge, and in most areas of the world, a land mass that size would be broken up in to several different nations, cultures, religions and language regions. Look at Europe, Africa, parts of Asian and even South America.

For 150 years, hundreds of millions of people across 50 states have not only accepted rule of the United States, but cherished it. Today, there are 300 million Americans. We're made up of different cultures, religions, ethnic backgrounds, races, and political ideologies but through it all we are connected as Americans. To me that's amazing.
Absolutely! Then we have so much confidence in this system and its creed, honoring the vision which drew us all together, that we look toward overall global issues and concerns for the sake of our planet, allowing the freedom of speech to those citizens who find an issue with societal structure and government and listening to the ctritique of foreigners with other viewpoints. This is the most successful system ever put together by less than perfect Mankind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 11:36 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cope1989 View Post
The cultural and national solidarity that exists over such a large and diverse swath of land. The US land area is huge, and in most areas of the world, a land mass that size would be broken up in to several different nations, cultures, religions and language regions. Look at Europe, Africa, parts of Asian and even South America.

For 150 years, hundreds of millions of people across 50 states have not only accepted rule of the United States, but cherished it. Today, there are 300 million Americans. We're made up of different cultures, religions, ethnic backgrounds, races, and political ideologies but through it all we are connected as Americans. To me that's amazing.

I notice you glossed over that nasty little incident 150 yrs ago when the people of the US South tried to destroy the United States. I couldn't disagree with your post more. First off, why don't you ask Australians how unified their country is compared to the US, and it is quite a large landmass. The US is anything but united.

Today, I would wager that most people living in the US identify more with their state and region than with the US as a whole. The BBC had an article about this recently that people in the US are starting to view themselves more as Ohioans, New Yorkers, etc. than Americans. Once that catches on, game over. You can thank the Ko... brothers and the Tea Party for this.

The US is more divided than any other industrialized nation on earth. The US is nothing more than a legal/paper construct at this point. It is a country filled with people that hate each other based on political viewpoint. We are the most rightwing nation of all the developed world, and people of a more moderate left wing viewpoint are sick of it. This country can't even provide a basic human right of decent healthcare for all. There is a strong distrust, and I would say, hatred of the Fed Govt from people in the South particularly and also the West.

It is only a matter of time before US rule is rejected and the country breaks apart into smaller nations. I have reconciled myself to this, and almost welcome it as I won't have to live in the same nation with the people electing Jim DeMint.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:55 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,266,588 times
Large Houses, fantastic variety of climates... from tropical to suarctic Alaska etc
Cheap gasoline in comparison with Europe
Amazing variety of cities from Boston to LA, Miami or rural towns in midwest. thers simply something for everyone!
General good standard of living
opportunities
and many more!

Old 05-07-2012, 11:14 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,239 times
One word... FOOTBALL!

Old 05-07-2012, 12:17 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Lots of good things, and I could definitely fill the page. But one thing that seems uniquely American as compared to Europe, Asia, S. America, etc., is that it's much easier to operate at work, in public places, in eateries, in public, period, in a smoke-free environment.

You don't know how thankful I am for that.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:27 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
we really have some beautiful and VERY diverse geography here in the US, both land and water

Old 05-14-2012, 11:56 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,803 times
Compared to my home country: Free refills , free water in restaurants, I DO like the food even if my fellow countrymen look shocked when I tell them. The variety of climates is also great, no need to go to a foreign country to get from freezing cold to tropical (some people might argue that South FL is a foreign country though). The US is a huge country with amazing countrysides, on the other hand it seems to be common to drive forever to get anywhere (at least that's my experience from the Midwest). That also somewhat evens out the lower gas prices compared to Europe. Back home I would drive 150 mi for a weekend trip with a more fuel efficient car at $9/gallon, in the US I once drove 500 mi for a weekend trip at $3,50/gallon. Go figure.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:43 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
Rob702: You're right, the free refills are amazing. Coffee, Soda, Tea, Water- everything! When I first moved here I was like "whoa, really, I can have another drink for FREE!?!?!? Unheard of back in Australia, except for Water- and oftentimes a restaurant will give you bottled Water so you have to pay for each obviously.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:46 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
American Football
Space: People like to bash american suburbs, but honestly they are pretty great. Affordable, alot of yard, big homes, great shopping.
Google Maps

Old 05-14-2012, 02:43 PM

769 posts, read 1,730,693 times
Opportunity.

Some like to argue that the American Dream is no longer as reachable as it was but for the most part, I would disagree.

The fact that a family can immigrate to the United States with nothing and through hard work, achieve or have children that achieve the beautiful suburban house posted above. I have experienced it first-hand in my own family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.