Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 05:48 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templb01 View Post
My family will be moving (reluctantly) to NY from Austria later this month. I mean reluctantly because she is not too fond of NY or the US for that matter and neither am I. Unfortunately, I am not proficient enough in German to work in Austria, else I'd go in a heartbeat. I will be in the future though. We are thinking ahead to relocate to another state or Canada (similar standards to Austria), however we would preferably like to settle in a area that is multicultural or accepting of interracial couples/families. I am Black, she is Filipino.

Preferences:

Multicultural or accepting/tolerant of interracial couples/families (We even get looks in NYC, the "most diverse place in the world")
Good school districts (or Catholic Schools)
Affordable Newer Housing - (houses/apts that are not built in 1930-40s like in NY that are small and costs both arms and both legs) At least 90's - 2000's
Suburbs/Rurual
Friendly people
Not in NY

Thanks!!!!
Did I read that correctly? Your future in-laws are moving to NYC (from another country, no less) and you want to move away from NYC? Way to make an impression!

If you want to be within striking distance of the future in-laws but out of the New York orbit, consider the Research Triangle NC area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). Lots of pharma/clinical work for you. Its school are not uniformly good, but if you do some research you can find some excellent ones. Housing tends to be newer construction, often in suburban/rural developments (aka sprawl, but if that's what you're looking for, it's there in abundance). Most important, there are many areas, especially in Durham and Chapel Hill, where mixed-race is not an issue - there's a significant foreign population there, attracted to the schools and the pharma/tech jobs. And you're an hour plane ride or a 9-hour drive to NYC so you can check in on the transplanted Austrians to see how they're doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 05:52 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
So any suggestions on areas?

Preferences:

Multicultural or accepting/tolerant of interracial couples/families (We even get looks in NYC, the "most diverse place in the world")
Affordable Newer Housing - (houses/apts that are not built in 1930-40s like in NY that are small and costs both arms and both legs) At least 90's - 2000's
Suburbs/Rurual
Friendly people
Not in NY

Thanks!!!!
I'd recommend Chapel Hill, North Carolina as well.

It's very multicultural due to the worldwide reputation of the University of North Carolina with students, faculty and researchers from all over the world. Duke University is just up the road in Durham and mirror's UNC's diversity. The town/area is very accepting/tolerant, has a very liberal population (as well as the neighboring towns of Carrboro and Durham), family friendly with excellent public schools, affordable new/newer housing, friendly people, has a mild four season climate and it's a beautiful area with lots of trees/greenery. Job prospects would be decent for you with the presence of not only UNC, but nearby Duke University and Research Triangle Park in Durham, which has hundreds of employers in and around the country's largest tech park.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
RTP Companies | The Research Triangle Park
Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools - CHCCS: Who We are Facts & Figures
About UNC | The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Last edited by kyle19125; 05-04-2012 at 06:13 AM..

Old 05-04-2012, 06:07 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,660 times
I highly recommend the Indianapolis area.
Fits all your criteria.
Smaller more stable confortable city that is the nations most affordable
Were called the Hidden Gem in America for a reason.
Fastest growing region in the midwest and within a days drive to 75% of the nations population.
Half the cost of living of New York. Housing is a tiny fraction too. Average home price is 130k in the Indianapolis area for good quality homes.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:24 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Some other places in NY that you may like are Brighton, DeWitt, Colonie, Amherst, Henrietta, Irondequoit, Clay, Salina, Manlius(town), Niskayuna, New Hartford, Guilderland and Vestal, among others.

Also, Ann Arbor and East Lansing have diverse school enrollments. Another Michigan area that could work is Okemos, which is right next to East Lansing. Test Scores for East Lansing School District | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Okemos Public Schools | GreatSchools

Test Scores for Ann Arbor Public Schools | GreatSchools

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-04-2012 at 06:43 AM..

Old 05-04-2012, 07:15 AM

4 posts, read 11,024 times
Wow, thank you guys for all your input. Didn't expect to get so many responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, a place like Ithaca would be out due to being in NY State? It would fit due to the liberal social climate and its diversity. It is about 17% Asian and 8% Black, with good schools. There are 2 4year colleges and a community college in the area. Its mayor and school superintendent are Black males. Give it a look.

You may like other places in Upstate NY or in other parts of the Northeast too.

Looks good so far, we are planning to drive up to Toronto this summer, may have to make a stop over in Ithaca and take a look-see...

Quote:
Ann Arbor, East Lansing, Novi, the Plymouth/Canton/Salem area, the Farmingtons and Northville come to mind in terms of Michigan too.
Are these areas less effected by the recession compared to Detroit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
How about Seattle? Lots of Pinoys here. Would fit just about all your wants on the list. No one here would bat an eye at interracial couples. Seattle also ranks pretty high on clinical research, so you might find something (am not sure what your specialty is, though).
We've heard that Seattle is a beautiful area, its just dreary like in London. Correct me if I am wrong. I have a background in Pharma and Device Clinical Research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I had to login to advise you where to move to because you have gotten so many bad suggestions. Your definitely looking at San Diego, California. South San Diego is your best bet. Check into a city called Chula Vista. It fits your preferences to a tee. I've been house hunting there for the past year or so looking at what's on the housing market. There are a plethora of good newer homes in nice suburban neighborhoods. Most of Chula Vista is made up of suburbs like that. It's very nice. It is diverse. More diverse than San Diego itself. Very friendly people! San Diego is made up of military servicemen, retirees, and other conservatives. So your definitely going to find people to be much nicer and down to Earth than in other areas of So.Cal. WAY nicer people than in NY. CV is about 15 minutes away from SD. So if you want to go downtown and see the city or Balboa Park or experience nightlife, you can easily go. The reason I was looking into SD in the first place is to up my quality of life. It doesn't exist here in FL really. And SD is the perfect city to make that happen. An addition to having a quality of life, the weather is phenomenal and the best in the country. No more freezing cold winters or humid and muggy summers. I keep telling people that you need to get in where you fit in regarding San Diego real estate. It is a prime location in the U.S. and property values are the lowest it's been in years. Get your piece of the pie now before it's too late. Property values will rise again. So I advise you to seriously look into Chula Vista. That is the place you want to be in.
Will be googling this area! Thanks

Quote:
Keep in mind that he would consider Canada if he could move there. So, I'm guessing that the weather aspect may not be that big of an issue.
Yes, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa - We are trying to see atleast TO and Montreal this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Did I read that correctly? Your future in-laws are moving to NYC (from another country, no less) and you want to move away from NYC? Way to make an impression!

If you want to be within striking distance of the future in-laws but out of the New York orbit, consider the Research Triangle NC area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). Lots of pharma/clinical work for you. Its school are not uniformly good, but if you do some research you can find some excellent ones. Housing tends to be newer construction, often in suburban/rural developments (aka sprawl, but if that's what you're looking for, it's there in abundance). Most important, there are many areas, especially in Durham and Chapel Hill, where mixed-race is not an issue - there's a significant foreign population there, attracted to the schools and the pharma/tech jobs. And you're an hour plane ride or a 9-hour drive to NYC so you can check in on the transplanted Austrians to see how they're doing.
Only my Wife to be and Son are moving to the US, her family will remain in Austria.
I am somewhat familiar with the Research Triangle, though business interactions. Wasn't too sure of the area due to it being more "southern = conservative/intolerant"

I'm really thinking about my family's well-being. It doesn't bother me if I am the only black person in town or something like that. lol I don't care, as long as we are all respected for our character and ethics.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:50 AM

5,520 posts, read 8,766,208 times
Quote:
Preferences:

Suburbs/Rurual
Friendly people
Not in NY

Thanks!!!!
What comes to mind immediately is Columbia, Md. Its a newer planned community about halfway -- 25 miles or so -- between DC and Baltimore, which both have good hospsitals, universities, and job opportunities, as well as all the cultural and entertainment options.

It is emphatically multi-racial. Nobody would bat an eyelash there at a mixed marriage.

It is NOT urban. But it is planned, so that depending on which village you live in (there are ten I think) you can minimize driving.

It sprouted in the 1960s, so the housing is newer and much of it is affordable townhouses, far less expensive than anything in the NYC area. There are, however, some quite expensive homes there too.

The schools are IIRC neighborhood schools and mostly pretty good ones at that. (Don't know about any Catholic schools there).

The folks that I know who live there love the place and call it the "ideal" suburb. OF course, YMMV. But I think its worth checking out. Frankly it sounds like the type of place made for you and your family.

Some statistics on the place:
//www.city-data.com/city/Columbia-Maryland.html

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-08-2012 at 06:23 AM..

Old 05-04-2012, 12:55 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,597,502 times
Quote:
Are these areas less effected by the recession compared to Detroit?
Very much so yes. A few small business have closed and plenty of foreclosures are around, but nothing that has killed whole neighborhoods like in Detroit.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:04 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,867,492 times
Yes, Western WA is one of the cloudy spots of the US and has more rainy days than most of the cities listed to you (just less total amount, however... Seattle only gets around 37" of rain a year and it predominantly comes in a mist/drizzle form, not a downpour). However, my personal belief and I've met a couple others who think so, our weather is better than London-- much more mild, a bit more sun breaks during spring, fall and winter, and humidity is hardly a factor. Plus, it's hard to beat our summers. At least check it out!

Old 05-04-2012, 01:11 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,544 times
Quote:
Hey there! New to City-Data! I've been nosing around for awhile, thought I'd might finally make a thread.

So my "issue" is that I have had enough of the rat race here in NYC. I am born and raised here (queens) but enough is enough. I am 4 yrs removed from undergrad and moving up the ranks in Clinical Research but have worked 7 days a week (2 jobs) to make ends meet unfortunately. Frankly, I am tired of that. Where is the quality of life? Well I don't want to bore you guys with a sob story so lets get down to biz.

Sex: Male
Race: Black
Status: Engaged - Fiance' is Filipino from Austria (Interesting, yes I know)
Children: 1 - Boy 11mo

My family will be moving (reluctantly) to NY from Austria later this month. I mean reluctantly because she is not too fond of NY or the US for that matter and neither am I. Unfortunately, I am not proficient enough in German to work in Austria, else I'd go in a heartbeat. I will be in the future though. We are thinking ahead to relocate to another state or Canada (similar standards to Austria), however we would preferably like to settle in a area that is multicultural or accepting of interracial couples/families. I am Black, she is Filipino.

I really would like to move to metro Atlanta (If I happen to land a job). My sister lives there and I have lived there for a yr during college. However, I am worried about how she and my son would be treated/looked at. I only say this because my fiance has experienced things being asian that I cant even imagine while growing up in Austria and we don't want that for our son.

So any suggestions on areas?

Preferences:

Suburbs/Rurual
Friendly people
Not in NY

Thanks!!!!
The Atlanta move would not be a bad move. Trust me, people arent goin to be eyeballing you and you significant other nor the kid as many may think. Its not like that at all. I believe that the Gwinnet County school district is touted as one of the nations best?? Dont quote me on that, but I think its the case. ATL has had suburban sprawl so lots of the housing in the burbs are practically new and in both markets(rental/own) you get a great deal for the money. I find the people to be good. Even the so called transplants...hell we all are. I have a circle of colleagues and friends that are as diverse as a box of crayons. I think she will like it man...good luck whichever route you take!!!

Old 05-04-2012, 01:39 PM

5,520 posts, read 8,766,208 times
I'd urge OP to think carefully about the suburbs of both Atlanta and Detroit, largely becuase many (not all, but many) of the 'burbs around both cities grew through white flight. So ironically, your Phillipino wife may fare perfectly well, but you, as a black man, could quite easily be a target for suspicious storeowners, overzealous cops, anxious security guards, and ignorant neighbors. It will not happen everywhere, but if you end up in the wrong suburb it can happen often enough to put quite a damper on your quality of life. You say you have lived in Atlanta, so maybe you can choose a 'burb or neighborhood wisely. I hope so if that's where you decide to move. The Detroit suburbs, while far more prosperous and nice than the city itself, are defintely a mixed bag. Again, if you land there, choose carefully. There are some suburbs of Detroit I could actually warn a black man to stay away from.

White flight has made some suburbanites in both these metro areas a bit more anxious about having black neighbors, I'd say, than in communites that either have a history of diversity or settlement patterns that did not result from white flight.

Last edited by citylove101; 05-04-2012 at 01:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.