Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will California Ever Lose It's #1 Ranking?
Yes, in about 30-40 years. 39 25.66%
Yes but not in our lifetime. 28 18.42%
No, California will always be #1. 62 40.79%
Other 23 15.13%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:48 PM

886 posts, read 1,564,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Economically, California is at a low-point in its history, yet it still manages to attract people from all over the country and the world. That's speaks to its desirability.
Desirable you say?

Hm the northern half of the state for sure but whose moving to the uneducated, illegal overrun, sprawling mess of south Cal?

I like LA, sometimes but it's an awful place to live educated and sophisticatedly

Chandler you don't seem to realize that Manhattan is only one part of the greatness that graces this dull world, one part of NYC. The best city and most desirable city in the world, our only competitor is Paris. LA will always be a third rate place in comparison to NYC

Last edited by BLAXTOR; 05-04-2012 at 09:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:50 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,802 times
Quote:
Economically, California is at a low-point in its history, yet it still manages to attract people from all over the country and the world. That's speaks to its desirability.
Except if you're a native born American.

If California Is Doing So Great, Why Are So Many Leaving? | Newgeography.com

Most of those people are either White or Black Americans.

2000-2010 White Change: -860,957
2000-2010 Black Change: -18,122

Now if most of you think that replacing those people with Hispanics and Asians is a key to your continued success as a state, that's fine by me, but hardworking native born Americans are figuring out there are better places to live in the US.

That being said, Texas is still a long way to go.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Desirable you say?

Hm the northern half of the state for sure but whose moving to the uneducated, illegal overrun, sprawling mess of south Cal?

I like LA, sometimes but it's an awful place to live educated and sophistically

Chandler you don't seem to realize that Manhattan is only one part of the greatness that graces this dull world, one part of NYC. The best city and most desirable city in the world, our only competitor is Paris.
Especially if you think "sophistically" is a word.

Oh, and LOL @ "our competitor". What are you a basketball team? It's amazing how many people derive their sense of being from the city they live in.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:02 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Desirable you say?

I like LA, sometimes but it's an awful place to live educated and sophisticatedly

Chandler you don't seem to realize that Manhattan is only one part of the greatness that graces this dull world, one part of NYC. The best city and most desirable city in the world, our only competitor is Paris. LA will always be a third rate place in comparison to NYC
Only competitor is Paris, hilarious!! Good one

Old 05-04-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Only competitor is Paris, hilarious!! Good one
What other city catches your eyes like NYC if not Paris and only Paris?

Old 05-04-2012, 10:09 PM

628 posts, read 1,437,209 times
Humans belong in a mediterranean climate, so CA will always be desirable.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Desirable you say?

Chandler you don't seem to realize that Manhattan is only one part of the greatness that graces this dull world, the only part of NYC that anyone cares about. The best city and most desirable city in the world, our only competitor is Paris. LA will always be a third rate place in comparison to NYC
Fixed it for you. Unless you think young Americans dream of visiting Queens when they get older. You guys have been losing whites for decades now too (including the last one) so don't get too excited throwing dirt on SoCal. When was the last time NYC actually gave something to American and world culture instead of just presenting it because it's a flagship city? Hip hop in the 70's? That was a long time ago. Manhattan has a lot of white collar jobs and an extension subway system. Good for you, but color me underwhelmed.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 05-04-2012 at 10:32 PM..

Old 05-04-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Fixed it for you. As far as desirable, you guys have been losing whites for decades now (including the last one) so don't get all excited sounding the death tolls for Southern California. Manhattan has a lot of white collar jobs and an extension subway system. Good for you, but color me underwhelmed.
You're a strange person Chandler, LA has much better infrastructure than NYC as far as roads go. Yes and good job on the subway extensions that's what I like to see for LA but I would rather have a very old heavy capacity subway over that meager laughable transportation vehicle, the bus.

Hm NYC gives the world inspiration and money, much more than LA could ever afford (or ever think) to give
Quote:
As for your pity, you live vicariously through Manhattan, and its importance. Pity youself, seriously.
Let's get something straight here Chandler, I may like NYC more than LA but I don't live in a delusional world. I like LA and miss it sometimes especially with the weather extremes here I hate the cold. LA also offers a great outdoor lifestyle if that's your thing and has so much to do and see. It shouldn't bore any normal person on their visits.

Where my opinion of LA becomes sour is the the large feeling throughout the city that your in the minority if you have a college degree or any basic intelligence. Your museums are second tier and your transportation is lacking. These are a few things that keep LA far away from NYC's table, not all the reasons but just the ones that keep me from having a more positive opinion of the place

Last edited by BLAXTOR; 05-04-2012 at 10:46 PM..

Old 05-05-2012, 12:32 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,596 times
Quote:
Desirable you say?

Oh please stop it. Calling Southern California a sprawling mess is just a complete exaggeration.
We all know NYC is a great, amazing city.
Southern California is full of great, amazing places either

Old 05-05-2012, 12:39 AM

484 posts, read 871,817 times
"Imploding?" "Rapidly declining?" "Suicide?" Oh please, let's tone down the rhetoric shall we? California will retain its #1 position for some time. I do think it will eventually lose it, but not in my lifetime.

As some posters have pointed out, the gap between California and Texas is rather large, and obviously even larger compared to the 3rd most populous state New York. It will take some time for other states to catch up. And you have to realize while California's population growth has experienced a slow-down and has been modest recently, it is still growing every year. Incidentally, the slower growth rate might actually be beneficial to the California economy (California's population growth to slow in coming decades - Los Angeles Times) In addition, by some studies, the California population is projected to be over 41 million by 2020, and over 50 million by 2050! I mean, those are insane numbers when you think about it. Also, immigrants, whether legal or illegal, strengthens the economy and contribute to the labor force, tax revenues, and the overall GDP.

Industries that contribute to the economic might of California won't disappear or leave anytime soon. Hollywood has been here for 100 years; Silicon Valley is not going anywhere; neither is the Port of Los Angeles/Long Beach; or agriculture of the Central Valley. Manufacturing, tourism, education, tech, entertainment, etc will all be around. Like a previous poster said, the California economy is too diverse and it constantly spawns new industries and leads the way. An example right now is green jobs. Yes, unemployment is high right now and the economy is a bit down, but the state will recover eventually. The state is not going down some death spiral.

Lastly, the California climate and geography will always be attractive to the people thinking of moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.