U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 05:52 PM

11 posts, read 31,524 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for suggestions of places that would meet the following requirements:

~relatively high altitude
~warm climate, where most tropical fruits can be grown
~interesting, open-minded, unique community
~beautiful places to be outdoors

Suggestions in and outside of the USA are welcome. Thanks!! :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 06:16 PM

870 posts, read 1,469,631 times
Tucson sounds good

~relatively high altitude: YES, about 3,000 feet above sea level, with nearby mountains being much higher

~warm climate: YES, while not as hot as Phoenix, it is still very warm, staying in the 60's or above all year

~interesting open minded unique community: YES, the University of Arizona helps with that.

~beautiful place to be outdoors: MAYBE, depending on whether you like deserts (I don't, but you might be different)

Old 05-07-2012, 06:32 PM

50 posts, read 129,412 times
Boulder, Colorado
though that might be much too cold.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Warmer than Boulder, but probably too cold anyway

Albuquerque, New Mexico is slightly warmer

Old 05-07-2012, 06:39 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,370,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SileIndigo View Post
I'm looking for suggestions of places that would meet the following requirements:

~relatively high altitude
~warm climate, where most tropical fruits can be grown
~interesting, open-minded, unique community
~beautiful places to be outdoors

Suggestions in and outside of the USA are welcome. Thanks!! :-)
Outside USA: Cali, Colombia. Tropical. 3,000 ft above sea level. Jungle and mountains. Beautiful women.

Inside the usa: you can find some slopes in hawaii (like maui and the big island) or Caguas (Puerto Rico).

Tucson is great too but it ain't tropical and is chilly in the winter. ABQ and Santa Fe both receive plenty of snow in the winter.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 PM

Thanks everyone!
I was thinking Mexico, but would prefer somewhere more lush and less desert. I'd like to be able to grow a lot of my own food. Unless there are parts of AZ, NM and Mexico that are more suited for growing fruits and veggies?
Ooooo Puerto Rico...awesome!!

Old 05-08-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SileIndigo View Post
Thanks everyone!
I was thinking Mexico, but would prefer somewhere more lush and less desert. I'd like to be able to grow a lot of my own food. Unless there are parts of AZ, NM and Mexico that are more suited for growing fruits and veggies?
Ooooo Puerto Rico...awesome!!
Some of the slopes in southern mexico, along the mayan highway, are very lush.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:36 AM

23,798 posts, read 36,377,346 times
Areas surrounding Hilo or Kona on the big island of Hawaii could fit your criteria.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:28 AM

Costa Rica and Panama all have notorious areas like that. Panama is cheaper these days but getting very expensive.

But really, you can find anything from Mexico through central America and then on into venezuela/colombia/ecuador. Some parts of the caribbean like cuba, haiti, dominican republic, puerto rico as well as some of the smaller islands will fit that criteria.

Some of hawaii was mentioned (maui and the big island but probably kaui and oahu) have it too.

You can find something similar as well in the mountain ranges bordering kenya/tanzania or how about india/nepal ?

I think you need to be more specific:

budget
what's outside your comfort zone
how far away from the usa would you be willing to go

Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 AM

10,092 posts, read 20,937,001 times
Whats your definition of high altitude? The only places that qualify all four of your requirements I can think of would be in South America. El Paso, TX and Las Cruces, NM are pretty warm throughout the year (though subject to infrequent cold snaps) and are both in the range of 3700-4000 feet in altitude and have impressive mountains at the edge of those cities.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:03 AM

Thanks all!!!
Mexico is definitely interesting to me...I'd like to be as close to the US (or in it) as possible.

The place has to have a low(ish) cost of living, and not lots of ridiculous laws and taxes.
Are there any places at a more low/normal altitude that are in the US, with a lower cost of living, where you can grow tropical fruits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.