Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2006, 07:23 AM

6 posts, read 21,508 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for my ideal city to hopefully retire to one day. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Affordable town within at least 2 hours travel time to large city or metro area.

2. Low crime rate.

4. Low humidity, (no scorching hot summers!) want rain in the summer and snow in the winter (NO windy climate either).

4. Large Catholic population.

5. Close to coast or large body of water as possible.

6. Historic area w/ large population of ethnic groups (or atleast ethnically diverse).

7. Near mountains would be very nice, too, but not a must.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2006, 05:10 PM

19 posts, read 152,699 times
Smile Suggestion

Well, I can only speak for what I'm familiar with, so I'll recommend southeastern WI, near Milwaukee. It's got 1-5, maybe 6, and no 7. It's a nice place.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:50 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
You may want to try Western or Central Massachusetts. While Massachusetts is thought of to be expensive, this is largely confined to the Boston area. Western Massachusetts is within a short drive to the Berkshires, around two hours or less (depending where you are) from Boston, and within an hour of both Albany and Springfield (not bustling metropolises but metro areas nonetheless. There is a large Catholic population everywhere in Massachusetts. I believe it's one of only a handful of states where Catholicism has the highest number of adherents in the state. As far as ethnic diversity goes, well, ethnically it's diverse, but not so much racially. There are lots of Irish, Italians, French, French Canadians, Germans, Poles, Greeks, etc. but relatively few racial minorities although this can vary by town as some communities have sizable Puerto Rican, Dominican, Black, Cape Verdean, and Brazilian communities, but the smaller towns will generally by very white and the areas in the Eastern portion of the state are more diverse. You are also not incredibly far from the coast. Again, possibly as little as two hours depending on where in the state you'd be. Crime is low, there tends to be lots of history around, and while summers can and do get humid, it's certainly not as pronounced as it is in most of the Eastern U.S. and it gets large amounts of snow and a decent amount of rain per year as well.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:26 PM

246 posts, read 328,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benedicta33 View Post
I'm looking for my ideal city to hopefully retire to one day. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Affordable town within at least 2 hours travel time to large city or metro area.

2. Low crime rate.

4. Low humidity, (no scorching hot summers!) want rain in the summer and snow in the winter (NO windy climate either).

4. Large Catholic population.

5. Close to coast or large body of water as possible.

6. Historic area w/ large population of ethnic groups (or atleast ethnically diverse).

7. Near mountains would be very nice, too, but not a must.

Any suggestions?
Ditto SE Wisconsin/Milwaukee. It meets most of your criteria. The other suggestion would be something near Pittsburgh.

Magpies

Old 09-20-2006, 03:35 PM

6 posts, read 21,508 times
Thanks all! I'm going to go to check out the suggestions you gave me and look up the city data.

Pittsburgh was already on my list as a matter of fact.

Thanks again!

Old 09-20-2006, 10:17 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
You could also check into Tri-cities TN area, has all on your list actually.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,478 times
my husband and i are white and have adopted 3 afrtican american children.we are looking for a diverse ,safe community,with a good school system

Old 03-24-2010, 04:03 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Toms River, NJ

It's one of the safest cities in the country, it's close to the coast, it's ethnically diverse (A lot of Italians/Irish/Germans/Polish), It has a large catholic population (I'm pretty sure)

The humidity levels can be high in the summer time, but it's definitely not the worst.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:29 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
Denver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.