Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 05:12 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Personally, I find them to be very annoying. For one, the residents are often too fanatical about state budget, spending, caucus, primary whatever. There is this climate of political fanaticism and it gets annoying rather quick.

They also seem to attract small-town political types who get some $12 government job shuffling papers around and think they are in charge, because they are only a few steps divided from their state's important politicians.

Lastly, most capital cities I've visited, are going the direction of police states and seem oversaturated with state police (being headquartered there), capital police, local police, sheriff, and all the government buildings just add to the annoyance.

As for the nation's capital, I've never visited DC, and don't care to.

There's really no such thing as an exciting state capital. I'm sure someone else has to agree.
I mostly agree, and somewhat disagree.

A secondary city which was designated to be the state capital and has little else going on in terms of other (for-profit) industries is indeed boring. These would be cities like Albany NY, Sacramento CA, Salem OR, Carson City NV, Montgomery AL, Richmond VA, Harrisburg PA and others like those. The "drone" persona can be smelled in the air.

If the capital is Atlanta, Boston, Denver, Honolulu ($$$) and Phoenix, and also happens to be the state's primary city, then I would not consider it boring because, in those places, the presence of businesses, universities, research organizations, and many more cultural/recreational options makes them interesting places.

There are a few capitals that are also noted for being "cool" because they house the state's flagship educational institution. These would include Madison WI, Austin TX and Tallahassee FL. For me, it would depend on how much I "liked" the school. Since UW Madison loves its liberal label and FSU in Tallahassee is considered more sedate in that manner, I'll take the latter.

As for Washington DC, I CAN'T stand it. Aside from seeing the key landmarks and taking a picture of them to say "oh, yeah," it is depressing. If around during the lunch hour, you can see all the bureaucrats out running, taking a break from what has to be a mind-numbing job. Then multiply that exponentially by those you don't see outside during lunch. Then throw in an "attitude problem" and jockeying to be in the Inside the Beltway gossip grapevine, and it becomes insufferable. In that regard, a state capital is WAY preferable to the Nation's Capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
This may top Ronnie's In-n-Out Burger thread in its stupidity.
I don't know. I see it as a topic that could benefit from some fleshing out. I don't know anything about the OP.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:16 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
You must really hate New England as a whole then, because in towns, every citizen is a legislator.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:33 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,110 times
Let's see, out of the ones I've been to.

Sacramento - not a fan, no.
Salem - ew.
Boise - it's mkay.
Helena - quite a nice town.
Olympia - very nice very nice
Denver - quite nice
SLC - alright, nothing too bad or good.
Lincoln - didn't see it well enough.
Des Moines - see Lincoln
Indianapolis - nasty
Columbus - downtown sucks, city as a whole is quite nice.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:56 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
Quote:
Personally, I find them to be very annoying. For one, the residents are often too fanatical about state budget, spending, caucus, primary whatever. There is this climate of political fanaticism and it gets annoying rather quick.

They also seem to attract small-town political types who get some $12 government job shuffling papers around and think they are in charge, because they are only a few steps divided from their state's important politicians.

Lastly, most capital cities I've visited, are going the direction of police states and seem oversaturated with state police (being headquartered there), capital police, local police, sheriff, and all the government buildings just add to the annoyance.

There's really no such thing as an exciting state capital. I'm sure someone else has to agree.

I dont agree with your comments.
A capital city is vital to a state-----------

most capitals I have visited always had really nice well kept buildings , monuments to service personal among other public spaces including

parks, Libraries, museums some have state fairgrounds, large venues for entertainment , theater the list can go on and on.

Last edited by sunnyandcloudydays; 05-19-2012 at 06:39 PM..

Old 05-19-2012, 06:27 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
I generally love and prefer capital cities.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:42 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:

Well I chose the capital city of my home state to live in and I really love it here. I can't really say you're characterizations really apply to Santa Fe or most capital cities that I've seen (and I've sen over 30 of them). Perhaps a little, but people generally think of artistry, architecture, history, high desert & mountain setting before politics for this city. Sure there's your typical political BS and corruption at the Roundhouse but living here I really don't notice it nor does really affect my life here.

I really think your statement is incredibly flawed nor do you state any examples ( the capital cities themselves) to back up what you're saying. How anyone can say there is no excitement to be found in places like Boston, Denver, Phoenix, Austin, or Atlanta is clearly not very knowledgable about most state capitals at all.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:02 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

There are a few capitals that are also noted for being "cool" because they house the state's flagship educational institution. These would include Madison WI, Austin TX and Tallahassee FL. For me, it would depend on how much I "liked" the school. Since UW Madison loves its liberal label and FSU in Tallahassee is considered more sedate in that manner, I'll take the latter.
I think that the people in Gainesville would have something to say about that....

Old 05-19-2012, 09:04 PM

419 posts, read 998,545 times
I never really bought into DC and what was so great about it.

It's the US Capital.. So What? I'm not into poltics or any of that for that matter

But it seems to be hyped up real crazy around on this forum.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I think that the people in Gainesville would have something to say about that....
Hahaha....that's right...UF is the flagship, but FSU is another big school and in the state capital.

This is pretty crazy, being right on the Gainesville campus:

Alligator on UF Campus - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.