Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 06:25 AM

1 posts, read 646 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I am a longtime reader but new poster! I'm thinking about moving at the end of my lease (August 2013). I've visited all around the country, with the exception of some Midwestern states, but I haven't learned too much about actually living in other places. I've lived in GA my entire life and love the hot weather and nature. I'm planning to just live somewhere else for maybe a year or so (family obligations are probably going to keep me in GA permanently). I'm a single female in my early 20s. I don't care about schools, no kids, etc.

So what I'm looking for:

- Somewhere rather inexpensive. Where I live now (a cool college/art town) I pay about $400 for a 1BR house. I accept that will likely not be the case in most places, but I'd be looking for inexpensive, likely student-type apartments or something, around $250-400 a month.

- A job. There are no jobs here, and I'm scraping to make ends meet. I'm an artist-type, so I'm really just looking for a gig waiting tables or something in the service industry (I have an English degree though!). Basically something flexible and not technically full-time.

- Not too city-ish. I don't like cities. The weird thing about my town is that it's a pretty small town but has a lot of art and music. I don't like skyscrapers and expensive stuff and tons of people. I know that might be asking a lot, and I'm totally willing to look into smaller towns close to cities, or something like that. No 'burbs.

- Preferably other people that play music! Or at least a music scene nearby (30 milesish). I'm a musician.

- Warm to hot. I love the heat. I'm considering the Southwest because I love the desert. I don't know when the hottest time is out there, but I visited in August and loved it. I have no interested in harsh winters and lots of snow.

- Walking/biking. Right now I bike almost everywhere. I do have a car though.

Anyway, does anybody know where I might be able to start looking? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.