Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 09:51 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,405,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I also take fault with the notion that 44% of the people who view CA negatively actively want the place to implode or disintegrate.
I dont feel that way at all about CA, I dont want it to disappear quickly for sure. We keep getting companies from CA moving jobs to Tx, we couldnt do that if it imploded . lol

For the claimant that NJ gets more bashing then Tx and CA combined, Id say you need to get out more lol no one in the growth belt cares about NJ, in Tx NJ rarely ever comes up for discussion. Which is worse being ignored or being bashed lol. I lived in NJ for what its worth, it is the prettiest state I have lived in despite the crowds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 05:24 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
In the time I've been posting on City-Data I've noticed many negative threads and comments aimed toward California and Texas. Why is that? What is it about these states that raises so much ire? People have called California 3rd world, over crowded, an economy shot to hell and Texas is full of backwards hicks, it's current growth is a fluke blah, blah blah. But, is this really it? Do you think there is some jealousy over what these states have to offer. Let's discuss.

It all comes down to one word ignorance. People who constantly run down other states are just plain ignorant. They are insecure about themselves and where they live so they try to make other places look bad. It's sad really.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:42 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,737 times
I can only say that in the last 20 years I very very often hear of California's financial problems. That indicates that perhaps the people there cannot regulate themselves in a responsible manner. So anything out of California leads one to wonder.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:13 AM

110 posts, read 300,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Me and 44% of Americans, including many in this thread, would NOT MIND California's demise because that would mean an economic boon for the rest of the United States, as what has been going on for the past 20 years.

The vultures are circling over the head of California, and once the state dies, the rest of us will scavenge it and move on with our lives.

And yes, California is not sufficiently American. What's wrong with stating the truth?

Veteran Population - NATIONAL CENTER FOR VETERANS ANALYSIS AND STATISTICS

California has 1,972,000 veterans, while there are more than 22,700,000 veterans in the United States, or only 8.7% of all US veterans while California is 13% of the US population. California is disproportionately underrepresented in how many of its citizens want to fight and die for this fine country.

So its pretty clear that you guys aren't in it for America. Sorry. It's just the truth. As someone who comes from a family of veterans, I spit on your state.
What's wrong with you?? Is being that terrible genetic?

Old 05-28-2012, 02:02 AM

110 posts, read 300,275 times
Georgia is completely across the country from California, so most Georgians have never even been there. But everyone has their opinions of it, funny huh?

Most people like the idea of the weather, because the lack of humidity sounds great in the middle of a Georgia summer. And of course the landscape is beautiful too. But they also think Californians are not only liberal but wacky. To us, Northeasterners are liberal- they're misguided on the issue of politics, but they're still good Americans. But Californians are in a class by themselves. All Californians are either godless homosexuals in San Francisco or coke snorting TV producers in Hollywood. I think a lot of people in Georgia just see it as a place devoid of any religious or traditional values. Of course, most of these people have never even heard of Orange County, and they wouldn't want to, because it muddles the stereotype.

A lot of Californians have actually been moving to Atlanta, and these conservative types see them as refugees of sorts. Oh, and they make a big point about it being overrun with illegals. This was actually a point I heard a lot from people who supported the Georgia Immigration Law- "Do you want Georgia to become like California?? Where nobody speaks English anymore??"

I haven't spent enough time in Texas to give any solid opinions, but I will say that when I was there I found a lot of the stereotypes to be true. Some of the people I talked to were just irrationally proud to be from Texas, like Texas can do no wrong and anyone who disagrees can jump off a building. Bush is great, it's just that the rest of the country abandoned him. Everyone who moves to Texas does so because it's some sort of gravitation that pulls them to the promised land, not, you know, a job transfer or something. We have the most oil, therefore, we're the most powerful.

I just heard a generous sprinkling of things like that. However, I did find most people I met to be really cool, down to earth and hospitable. And if they want to brag about tex mex, then I have no problem with that because it really is the best.

In terms of geography, I thought most of Texas wasn't that great. Houston is hotter and more humid than Atlanta will ever be, and it's full of these stubby little trees that don't do much for the landscape. Then there's the endless prairie, that looks pretty at first but can get old really quickly. East Texas is all right, maybe because it reminds me more of the landscape that I'm used to, and west Texas seems pretty mind numbing.

But in all seriousness, I think there's always a basis to stereotypes but you shouldn't let what you hear color your entire view of something (didn't we all learn that in Kindergarten?). I mean, California definitely has a counter culture in some places that's very odd to a lot of Americans, but it's mainly full of families and everyday people just doing their thing. And its innovations in entertainment and technology have improved our lives in many many ways. On the other hand, a lot of Texans tend to be overzealous about their state, but it has an amazing history and has a lot to offer. And most Texans are pretty chill bro.

But Texas and California will probably always be hated on because they're like the queen bees in high school. Not everybody likes them, but they make themselves known and get a lot of attention, so everybody has something to say. Sometimes they will deserve the criticism thrown at them, and sometimes it'll just be because people like to see the mighty fall.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:31 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
We had a lot of Californians move here to Phoenix metro around 02-03, a large influx. It changed the area quite a bit. Now, Phoenix has been Californianized. You either like that vibe or don't. They had a right to move here and people who don't like it have a right to move on, too.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:18 PM

674 posts, read 1,538,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
It all comes down to one word ignorance. People who constantly run down other states are just plain ignorant. They are insecure about themselves and where they live so they try to make other places look bad. It's sad really.
Great post!

Old 11-29-2017, 10:35 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Well, I've lived in both states so I've decided to hate New Yorkers for a change due to their aggressiveness. J/K. Maybe because they're big states so most transplants are gonna come from those states naturally. And since most people hate transplants, it's easy to hate the big states since they'll produce more of them, all else being equal.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:10 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cope1989 View Post
In terms of geography, I thought most of Texas wasn't that great. Houston is hotter and more humid than Atlanta will ever be, and it's full of these stubby little trees that don't do much for the landscape. Then there's the endless prairie, that looks pretty at first but can get old really quickly. East Texas is all right, maybe because it reminds me more of the landscape that I'm used to, and west Texas seems pretty mind numbing.
Oh wow, look at these stubby little trees!

Old 11-30-2017, 09:01 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,736,857 times
A lot of people on CD are conservative, so I'd hazard a guess that their ire stems more from California's liberal politics than anything else. Combined with it being a generally desirable state to live in with cities that have high COL. So you have a mix of political dislike and envy that creates a wonderful hate stew!

Texas...I would guess because there's a stereotype of Texans as having an obnoxious state pride. And on the flip side to my comments about CA, there's probably a lot of liberals that hate on Texas for what they perceive to be its backward politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.