Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 09:50 PM

9,436 posts, read 10,710,680 times

Advertisements

California and Texas are either loved or hated because they represent two completly opposite lifestyles. California represents the liberal counterculture lifestyle. People dont go to Indiana to "find themselves" they go to California. If someone grows up somewhere conservative and traditional and they adopt a lifestyle that is unacceptable where they come from, they move to California. California is a collection bin for Americas eccentrics and misfits. Many people who are politically liberal and free thinker types admire this in California, while those who support traditonal values and conservative politics run the state down. Texas is the opposite, it is a place where traditonal values reign supreme. People in Texas in general do not support counterculture lifestyles, they go to church and vote for conservatives. They are largely patriotic, drive big gas guzzling trucks and eat lots of red meat. If you are a person who is conservative and traditional then you will like Texas, however if you are a dirty hippy then im sure Texas is not your favorite place. If you want to know a persons politics and view on social issues like gay marriage ask them how they feel about those two states. Thier answers will likely reveal thier views on politics and social issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 12:44 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,735,014 times
It is interesting because these two states have more things in common than either would be willing to admit. Both have the largest Hispanic populations in the US, both are considered sunbelt (at least SoCal - where most of the complaints are directed), and both have large numbers of people from all over the country. The difference being, people move to Texas usually for work-related reasons, while California because they actually want to.

Not all California is liberal, not all Texas is conservative. Both have a lot of small towns as well. Both have a coast (well, technically the gulf is a coast). Both are border states. The list goes on and on.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:50 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,850,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Not sure what the deal is. Being in the Army...which seems to be the #1 employer for all Texans I get picked on a lot because I'm from California by people from Texas. I've never cared either way about Texas too much other than I'm a Laker fan so I wish death upon the Spurs, Rockets and Mavericks, oh and I hate the Houston to LA comparisons! No people, Houston is NOTHING like Los Angeles

But I see a lot of negativity just from Texans towards California. THEN from everybody else in the US. I don't get it. CA is cool, it's fun, has great people, great cities, it's laid back has awesome scenery...etc. I guess we in CA watch less tv than the rest of America?
Don't you think the the USA would be better off if split into 50 separate republics? I mean, let's face it, no other developed nation has this silly parochial hatred of fellow citizens based on what part of the country they live in. The people in this country can barely stand each other.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:39 AM

674 posts, read 1,531,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Not sure what the deal is. Being in the Army...which seems to be the #1 employer for all Texans I get picked on a lot because I'm from California by people from Texas. I've never cared either way about Texas too much other than I'm a Laker fan so I wish death upon the Spurs, Rockets and Mavericks, oh and I hate the Houston to LA comparisons! No people, Houston is NOTHING like Los Angeles

But I see a lot of negativity just from Texans towards California. THEN from everybody else in the US. I don't get it. CA is cool, it's fun, has great people, great cities, it's laid back has awesome scenery...etc. I guess we in CA watch less tv than the rest of America?
So Texans are where you see most of the anti-California comments coming from? Do you see just as many anti-Texas comments from California posters? Anyway, I think they're both great and very interesting states.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:43 AM

674 posts, read 1,531,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
It is interesting because these two states have more things in common than either would be willing to admit. Both have the largest Hispanic populations in the US, both are considered sunbelt (at least SoCal - where most of the complaints are directed), and both have large numbers of people from all over the country. The difference being, people move to Texas usually for work-related reasons, while California because they actually want to.

Not all California is liberal, not all Texas is conservative. Both have a lot of small towns as well. Both have a coast (well, technically the gulf is a coast). Both are border states. The list goes on and on.
Yes for all their differences they have a lot in common too.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:50 AM

196 posts, read 655,712 times
They're the biggest in the lower 48, most powerful in terms of economies, represent polar extremes of the political spectrum, and their people are annoyingly proud of where they come from.

Like I've never met anyone "proud" to be from Indiana or Illinois or Kansas. They may be proud to be from Chicago or Indianapolis, but they don't take pride in the whole state.

Only Californians and Texans take pride in the whole state.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:13 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,494,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
When you're the most envied state you're going to have your share of haters. One thing I noticed is that those Texas and California bashers tend to not mention what state they're from.
This (especially in California's case).

Old 05-21-2012, 02:21 AM

19,108 posts, read 16,492,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
California is a collection bin for Americas eccentrics and misfits. Many people who are politically liberal and free thinker types admire this in California
Thanks for clearing that up for me. All along, I thought I was just unique. That information has just saved me thousands in therapy bills!

Old 05-21-2012, 02:26 AM

19,108 posts, read 16,492,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake County IN View Post
Like I've never met anyone "proud" to be from Indiana or Illinois or Kansas. They may be proud to be from Chicago or Indianapolis, but they don't take pride in the whole state.

Only Californians and Texans take pride in the whole state.
There was a guy who sang about being a proud okie from Muskogee, though. ♫♪♫♫

Old 05-21-2012, 08:57 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,051,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
California and Texas are either loved or hated because they represent two completly opposite lifestyles. California represents the liberal counterculture lifestyle. People dont go to Indiana to "find themselves" they go to California. If someone grows up somewhere conservative and traditional and they adopt a lifestyle that is unacceptable where they come from, they move to California. California is a collection bin for Americas eccentrics and misfits. Many people who are politically liberal and free thinker types admire this in California, while those who support traditonal values and conservative politics run the state down. Texas is the opposite, it is a place where traditonal values reign supreme. People in Texas in general do not support counterculture lifestyles, they go to church and vote for conservatives. They are largely patriotic, drive big gas guzzling trucks and eat lots of red meat. If you are a person who is conservative and traditional then you will like Texas, however if you are a dirty hippy then im sure Texas is not your favorite place. If you want to know a persons politics and view on social issues like gay marriage ask them how they feel about those two states. Thier answers will likely reveal thier views on politics and social issues.
Texas and California aren't that extremely different in terms of social and politcal culture. People go to church, eat red meat and drive big trucks in CA as well. Your post is very stereotypical and one-sided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.