Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 09:29 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,063,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
In the time I've been posting on City-Data I've noticed many negative threads and comments aimed toward California and Texas. Why is that? What is it about these states that raises so much ire? People have called California 3rd world, over crowded, an economy shot to hell and Texas is full of backwards hicks, it's current growth is a fluke blah, blah blah. But, is this really it? Do you think there is some jealousy over what these states have to offer. Let's discuss.
People from all states whine and make stupid comments about all the other states all the time. Cali and Texas aren't special. How many good things do you hear people pouring onto Illinois or Ohio on any given day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 10:15 AM

753 posts, read 1,476,870 times
They're big states and familiar to everyone.

Most people probably couldn't even name all the states. Many of the other states are easily forgotten, I guess.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:21 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,948,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
When you're the most envied state you're going to have your share of haters. One thing I noticed is that those Texas and California bashers tend to not mention what state they're from.
The assumption that you're the "most envied state" might have more to do with it.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:23 AM

753 posts, read 1,476,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
It is interesting because these two states have more things in common than either would be willing to admit. Both have the largest Hispanic populations in the US, both are considered sunbelt (at least SoCal - where most of the complaints are directed), and both have large numbers of people from all over the country. The difference being, people move to Texas usually for work-related reasons, while California because they actually want to.

Not all California is liberal, not all Texas is conservative. Both have a lot of small towns as well. Both have a coast (well, technically the gulf is a coast). Both are border states. The list goes on and on.
Thank you. We tend to find lots of liberal kindred spirits in big cities and inner suburbs in Texas.

Interesting viewpoint about all these states have in common. Very true.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Not sure what the deal is. Being in the Army...which seems to be the #1 employer for all Texans I get picked on a lot because I'm from California by people from Texas. I've never cared either way about Texas too much other than I'm a Laker fan so I wish death upon the Spurs, Rockets and Mavericks, oh and I hate the Houston to LA comparisons! No people, Houston is NOTHING like Los Angeles

But I see a lot of negativity just from Texans towards California. THEN from everybody else in the US. I don't get it. CA is cool, it's fun, has great people, great cities, it's laid back has awesome scenery...etc. I guess we in CA watch less tv than the rest of America?
Personally, I've met at least a dozen+ Californians in various places, and the overwhelming vibe they give off has been that they were more awesome just because they lived there or were from there, and the rest of the country didn't have much of anything to offer in comparison. I recognize that my experience is anecdotal and limited, but I'm still waiting for that humble Californian who sees the value of places outside of California. It's not just about people hating on California for something they saw on an episode of the OC.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake County IN View Post
They're the biggest in the lower 48, most powerful in terms of economies, represent polar extremes of the political spectrum, and their people are annoyingly proud of where they come from.

Like I've never met anyone "proud" to be from Indiana or Illinois or Kansas. They may be proud to be from Chicago or Indianapolis, but they don't take pride in the whole state.

Only Californians and Texans take pride in the whole state.
I'm proud to be from Ohio, and wouldn't have it any other way. I love my home state and know plenty of people who couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
People from all states whine and make stupid comments about all the other states all the time. Cali and Texas aren't special. How many good things do you hear people pouring onto Illinois or Ohio on any given day.
Exactly, I would say there are states that have far more negativity associated with them than Texas or California, and for just as stereotypical reasons.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:43 AM

725 posts, read 1,233,957 times
Kind of, but I think that those states have more negativity for specific reasons. For instance, Illinois is looked upon negatively because of fiscal and corruption issues, Arizona is looked upon negatively for political reasons, certain southern states such as Mississippi and Alabama are looked upon negatively for cultural reasons, etc. But California and Texas (and I might throw New York in there too) seem to just get a lot of negative attention for the same reasons - they're both awesome and some people don't appreciate it. It is what it is.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:53 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,656,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Kind of, but I think that those states have more negativity for specific reasons. For instance, Illinois is looked upon negatively because of fiscal and corruption issues, Arizona is looked upon negatively for political reasons, certain southern states such as Mississippi and Alabama are looked upon negatively for cultural reasons, etc. But California and Texas (and I might throw New York in there too) seem to just get a lot of negative attention for the same reasons - they're both awesome and some people don't appreciate it. It is what it is.
Yeah, that's why...

Old 05-21-2012, 10:55 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,788,556 times
Speaking as a Texan, who has SEVERAL Cali friends, I can say that some of that negativity DOES come from arrogance.

But also being two of the most powerful states in the country with seemingly everything going to those states also has something to do with it.

I compare it to when I worked in Upstate NY for a summer and everyone who lived there said NOTHING positive about The City. Because as we all know, when someone says "New York", I really don't think the first thing that comes to mind is Rochester....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.