Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:20 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,526,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
...all 38 million of us.
Yep. His interview process was exhaustive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 02:20 PM

725 posts, read 1,233,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Yeah, that's why...
It was something of a tongue in cheek joke lol. But that doesn't change the fact that when you're perceived to be on top (Texas economically, California in a lot of QOL measures) you're going to get flak from those who want to be in that position. I wouldn't call it jealousy, simply competitiveness. Everyone wants to win, and those are the places to be.

I will agree to an extent that the attitudes of some Texans and Californians can turn off others. But is that not also the case with New Yorkers? New Englanders? DMV residents? California and Texas don't corner the market in arrogance, but are some of the best known for it.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:26 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,697,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
...all 38 million of us.

Of course not. But I think many people in California have the attitude the EnricoV puts forward. I see a lot of them in Oregon. It is an achetype, and admittedly even the folks who act like that could very well be cool people, but it does not make a good impression.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:31 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,037,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
It's impressive the good people of Houston voted for the person they believed was most qualified. At the same time, let not kid ourselves that each place attracts and engenders a population sharing very similar opinions on social issues. Considering the massive population of each state, a 20% spread on approval of gay marriage is simply cavernous.

The Future of Same-Sex Marriage Ballot Measures - NYTimes.com
When did support for gay marriage become the deciding factor of whether someone is liberal or conservative???

Old 05-21-2012, 03:32 PM

19,104 posts, read 16,469,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The problem I see with Californians, is that they are like those middle school brats whose mothers tell them that all the other kids don't like them because they're jealous. But that's not it. It's their nasty attitudes and the way they look down their noses at everyone else that makes them not liked.

Great observation, EnricoV. Just out of curiosity, is this your opinion of ALL Californians or are there any that you don't find to be middle school brats with an attitude?

Old 05-21-2012, 03:38 PM

637 posts, read 1,007,282 times
Californians deserve all the hate, IMO.

State favorability poll - Public Policy Polling

A whopping 44% of all AMERICANS, that is 136 million people, hate California. An undetermined 27% of Americans have no opinion, with many of those possibly harboring California hatred.

I think I can speak for the rest of us when I think we should kick California out of the union. Who's with me?

Old 05-21-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Of course not. But I think many people in California have the attitude the EnricoV puts forward. I see a lot of them in Oregon. It is an achetype, and admittedly even the folks who act like that could very well be cool people, but it does not make a good impression.
And from my experience, a significant percentage of those from the PNW are miserable people who are reflexively hostile to the very thought of California. However, to the extent those experiences manifest, I refuse to see any benefit in reinforcing that stereotype. That's a personal decision accept humans as individuals. Or I could waste my time justifying the negative only.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
When did support for gay marriage become the deciding factor of whether someone is liberal or conservative???
Please. Its not a litmus test, but one piece of evidence in response to one other piece of evidence (Houston voting in a gay mayor.) But it is a difference in opinion that is undeniably significant.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Californians deserve all the hate, IMO.

I think I can speak for the rest of us when I think we should kick California out of the union. Who's with me?

I'm with ya, Huge Foodie! Do we have to give up all the business created in California, though? You know ... Facebook, Google, eBay, a huge movie and entertainment industry, some of the finest wine producers and agriculture? Do we have to relinquish those to the rest of the country? If we go, they come with us!

Old 05-21-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
And from my experience, a significant percentage of those from the PNW are miserable people who are reflexively hostile to the very thought of California.

That's just because they don't get much sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.