Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:03 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,007,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Californians deserve all the hate, IMO.

State favorability poll - Public Policy Polling

A whopping 44% of all AMERICANS, that is 136 million people, hate California. An undetermined 27% of Americans have no opinion, with many of those possibly harboring California hatred.

I think I can speak for the rest of us when I think we should kick California out of the union. Who's with me?

If you're serious, it's scary that there are actually people who think like you. Of those 136 million people who supposedly hate CA, how many have actually lived or spent any time here to develop those feelings. If the hatred is only based on ignorant perception, doesn't that seem completely irrational?

The reality is that CA has good people, bad people, friendly people, unfriendly people, liberal people, conservative people, arrogant douchebags, humble/caring people, smart people, dumb people, law-abiding citizens, criminals, bad drivers, good drivers, considerate people, inconsiderate people, people who are good at cooking, people who can't cook, idiot celebrities (who represent about .00001% of the state's population), hermits, socialites...on and on and on.

To lump nearly 40 million people (many of whom came from other states , gasp!) into the same category is absurd. I'm sure many of the "haters" would be shocked if they came and lived with the average CA family for a week. They would probably be bored, because they'd find that we do all the normal things that normal Americans do most days- wake up, shower, go to work, come home, take care of the family, maybe walk the dog, watch a little news before bed, wake up next morning, start over...

Get it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 04:05 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,208,197 times
I'm from North Carolina which I think is an AWESOME state and I think among a very well liked state among the best of the rest. And having traveled to Cali and Texas people from there do have a lot to be proud of, and some things to be ashamed of especially Cali. But truly they are just such big states and have powerhouse economies, and unique circumstances. It's kinda hard not to be braggadocious, I have to give credit where credit is due. No where else was I able to ski in the morning, check out an observatory in the early afternoon and watch the sunset with my feet in the ocean like California, I'm sorry but they kinda do have it all. I like Texas as well, big hats and all. When your great, people will hate it's the nature of the beast.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:17 PM

637 posts, read 1,007,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
If you're serious, it's scary that there are actually people who think like you. Of those 136 million people who supposedly hate CA, how many have actually lived or spent any time here to develop those feelings. If the hatred is only based on ignorant perception, doesn't that seem completely irrational?

The reality is that CA has good people, bad people, friendly people, unfriendly people, liberal people, conservative people, arrogant douchebags, humble/caring people, smart people, dumb people, law-abiding citizens, criminals, bad drivers, good drivers, considerate people, inconsiderate people, people who are good at cooking, people who can't cook, idiot celebrities (who represent about .00001% of the state's population), hermits, socialites...on and on and on.

To lump nearly 40 million people (many of whom came from other states , gasp!) into the same category is absurd. I'm sure many of the "haters" would be shocked if they came and lived with the average CA family for a week. They would probably be bored, because they'd find that we do all the normal things that normal Americans do most days- wake up, shower, go to work, come home, take care of the family, maybe walk the dog, watch a little news before bed, wake up next morning, start over...

Get it??
The normal American does NOT live in a state which has above average unemployment, above average number of foreclosures, nor has nearly 30% of welfare recipients in the United States

California's Welfare Caseload (PPIC Publication)

California's welfare caseload increased a WHOPPING 27% between 2007-2010, compared to 13% for the rest of the country.

It's safe to say that the average Californian family increasingly is unemployed, living in public housing, and begging for money from the rest of us hard working Americans.

The numbers are there in black and white. All of this feeds into the perception of why 44% of Americans dislike California.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:42 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,527,777 times
Quote:
Your dedication to divisiveness is impressive. Pathological, but impressive nonetheless.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:43 PM

19,105 posts, read 16,484,098 times
Quote:
The normal American does NOT live in a state which has above average unemployment, above average number of foreclosures, nor has nearly 30% of welfare recipients in the United States

California's welfare caseload increased a WHOPPING 27% between 2007-2010, compared to 13% for the rest of the country.

It's safe to say that the average Californian family increasingly is unemployed, living in public housing, and begging for money from the rest of us hard working Americans.

The numbers are there in black and white. All of this feeds into the perception of why 44% of Americans dislike California.

But ... but ... but ... we keep trying to vote the democrats out but they just won't go! They like giving away all the freebies in the state. We're tryin' though!!!

Old 05-21-2012, 05:02 PM

444 posts, read 661,644 times
Quote:

State favorability poll - Public Policy Polling

A whopping 44% of all AMERICANS, that is 136 million people, hate California. An undetermined 27% of Americans have no opinion, with many of those possibly harboring California hatred.

I think I can speak for the rest of us when I think we should kick California out of the union. Who's with me?
I think you've flashed that Republican biased poll 5 or 6 times in these forums. Is that your security blanket? LOL

Old 05-21-2012, 05:36 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,700,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
And from my experience, a significant percentage of those from the PNW are miserable people who are reflexively hostile to the very thought of California. However, to the extent those experiences manifest, I refuse to see any benefit in reinforcing that stereotype. That's a personal decision accept humans as individuals. Or I could waste my time justifying the negative only.
As a PNW resident, I think the main issue is simply the size difference and wealth difference. The Californians who arrive every year by the thousands, typically are much wealthier than the natives and buy up all the best real estate. They are threatening. Most are pretty good people, but the ones who go on and on about SF or LA tend to annoy the most people. If those places are so undeniably great, then why did you have leave to put your 4000 sf "ecohome" and vinyard on a big hill above town and run for Mayor in your second year here?

We are no different than people in Vermont and New Hampshire who can't stand the endless rich New Yorkers and Mazzholes rolling into town and buying everything in site.

None of this means one group of people is better than another, but when a big, wealthy state starts moving to smaller states en masse, folks will be resentful.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 05-21-2012 at 06:22 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 05:41 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,700,152 times
Quote:

I think this is misleading, as the situation is very unique at the moment. California brewed up the mother of all speculative bubbles for itself. That was not the welfare crowd, but the conservative business crowd, especially arch-conservative Orange County, which was serving up no-doc loans like Happy Meals from 2003-2007. It is in the tank right now, but what destroyed the state was pure unscrupulous capitalism.

Viewed over a longer time frame, I think you would be hard pressed to find a more entrepreneurial and creative place than California. Hollywood, Silicon Valley, and OC are all three national powerhouses, and have been all my life.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:01 PM

475 posts, read 504,594 times
People are just jealous of California, thats the reason.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:26 PM

9,098 posts, read 13,113,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
In the time I've been posting on City-Data I've noticed many negative threads and comments aimed toward California and Texas. Why is that? What is it about these states that raises so much ire? People have called California 3rd world, over crowded, an economy shot to hell and Texas is full of backwards hicks, it's current growth is a fluke blah, blah blah. But, is this really it? Do you think there is some jealousy over what these states have to offer. Let's discuss.
While I agree with you there is negativity toward Texas and California on City-Data, there is negativity about alot of other states on this forum, as well as cities and regions. And from my POV, many places like New Jersey, Florida, and the entire South get it just as bad if not worse than the 2 states you only mentioned.

Much of the negativity toward Texas and California seems to be of a political nature; people do not like the conservative or liberal sterotypes of those two states, both real and imagined. These sterotypes are unfair of course but IMO the sterotypes of the Midwest as "boring flyover country", the Northeast is all "rude" and the South is all "redneck and backward" are even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.