Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 05:43 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
People are just jealous of California, thats the reason.
Jealously probably plays a reason with some people, sometimes with the person not even realizing it. California probably gets this the most but they are certainly not the only state or city. For instance, some people are also jealous of Texas and Florida, NYC, Chicago, Boston and San Francisco etc.

BUT having said, if jealously was the major factor of negativity toward a place than the beautiful State of Hawaii would alot more negativity instead of the almost purely postive reputation enjoys now. So jealously may be a factor but it is probably a minor one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 06:15 PM

674 posts, read 1,538,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
While I agree with you there is negativity toward Texas and California on City-Data, there is negativity about alot of other states on this forum, as well as cities and regions. And from my POV, many places like New Jersey, Florida, and the entire South get it just as bad if not worse than the 2 states you only mentioned.

Much of the negativity toward Texas and California seems to be of a political nature; people do not like the conservative or liberal sterotypes of those two states, both real and imagined. These sterotypes are unfair of course but IMO the sterotypes of the Midwest as "boring flyover country", the Northeast is all "rude" and the South is all "redneck and backward" are even worse.
I understand what you're saying. It's just that whenever I'm on these forums I see a lot of not so nice comments about Texas and California. Maybe it just seems like those 2 states get jumped on more than others.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:57 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Jealously probably plays a reason with some people, sometimes with the person not even realizing it. California probably gets this the most but they are certainly not the only state or city. For instance, some people are also jealous of Texas and Florida, NYC, Chicago, Boston and San Francisco etc.

BUT having said, if jealously was the major factor of negativity toward a place than the beautiful State of Hawaii would alot more negativity instead of the almost purely postive reputation enjoys now. So jealously may be a factor but it is probably a minor one.
Excellent point.

The Hawaii example seems to jive with my hypothesis that large states which spew people (California) or demagoguery (Texas) are loathed because they throw their weight around. There are not enough Hawaiians to do that. Though I suspect their are right wing crazies, liberalistas, poseurs, and reprobates of various stripes in paradise too!

I am envious as hell of Hawaiians, but I've got nothing against them whatsoever.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:00 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
People are just jealous of California, thats the reason.
If that's what helps you sleep at night...

Old 05-21-2012, 11:33 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,689,350 times
I joke around and say people are jealous of California but the truth is, there are some real boneheads in this state. By the same token, there are some pretty great people but they don't make the headlines so you never hear about them. I'm not sure why people have to rip another person apart, simply because they live in a particular part of the country. No one is perfect and neither is any state. And those who think they are better or their state is better are living in a fog.

Last edited by JGC97; 05-21-2012 at 11:42 PM..

Old 05-22-2012, 12:00 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
I think people from both states can be major a-holes. I've lived in Texas and had nothing but the utmost respect for Texans and Texas culture. I had a great time while I was there. I made all my life-long friends there. However, why is it that when I try to ask Texans something about either themselves or Texas culture on the Texas forum, I have always gotten really rude and sarcastic responses? I have no idea where that hostility is coming from. It's happened twice. I just don't get why they act like a-holes. I've lived there before. Is that not enough?! It's like you have to listed as living there to have any respect by them and that's what pisses me off because I have fond memories of Texas.

And then there's Californians. Most Californians I have met and befriended are totally cool and laid-back. However, the ones on the California forum are hella rude and nasty. They don't represent any of the Californians I have met in real life at all. It's just amazing to me to meet Californians who are so freaking negative because they truly are a rarity in my experience.

My opinion is that what's wrong with both of these states is their pride. Pride has never really been a good thing. I mean, it's okay to be patriotic for your city, state, & country. You should be. But when that turns to pride, that's when things get bad and you start thinking where your living is better than everyone else and it causes anger and strife in other people. Pride is actually a sin according to the Bible. So people should really get rid of that insecurity and just celebrate where you live rather than shoving it down everyone's throats.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:42 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I think people from both states can be major a-holes. I've lived in Texas and had nothing but the utmost respect for Texans and Texas culture. I had a great time while I was there. I made all my life-long friends there. However, why is it that when I try to ask Texans something about either themselves or Texas culture on the Texas forum, I have always gotten really rude and sarcastic responses? I have no idea where that hostility is coming from. It's happened twice. I just don't get why they act like a-holes. I've lived there before. Is that not enough?! It's like you have to listed as living there to have any respect by them and that's what pisses me off because I have fond memories of Texas.

And then there's Californians. Most Californians I have met and befriended are totally cool and laid-back. However, the ones on the California forum are hella rude and nasty. They don't represent any of the Californians I have met in real life at all. It's just amazing to me to meet Californians who are so freaking negative because they truly are a rarity in my experience.

My opinion is that what's wrong with both of these states is their pride. Pride has never really been a good thing. I mean, it's okay to be patriotic for your city, state, & country. You should be. But when that turns to pride, that's when things get bad and you start thinking where your living is better than everyone else and it causes anger and strife in other people. Pride is actually a sin according to the Bible. So people should really get rid of that insecurity and just celebrate where you live rather than shoving it down everyone's throats.
Long story short: Not best to go with what people behind a keyboard type in.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:49 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
In the time I've been posting on City-Data I've noticed many negative threads and comments aimed toward California and Texas. Why is that? What is it about these states that raises so much ire? People have called California 3rd world, over crowded, an economy shot to hell and Texas is full of backwards hicks, it's current growth is a fluke blah, blah blah. But, is this really it? Do you think there is some jealousy over what these states have to offer. Let's discuss.
I've been to both states multiple times although I have been to more different places in Texas than California.

I really like Texas. I like the food. I like the people. I like the space. I like what Texas stands for. I just don't like the heat.

California, not so much. Way too much traffic. Too much indulgent overspending. Too many earthquakes, mudslides, wildfires. Too many regulations/laws. Too many finger waggers.

Oh yeah, and since I'm originally from the East Coast, the sun is in the wrong place at the wrong time at the beach.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:20 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
...all 38 million of us.
Of course not. I was talking the iconic "Californian" that people feel negativity towards. It's probably no more than, oh, say 20 to 30 percent.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:22 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Great observation, EnricoV. Just out of curiosity, is this your opinion of ALL Californians or are there any that you don't find to be middle school brats with an attitude?
My mother is quite nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.