Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 12:25 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,529,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I've been to both states multiple times although I have been to more different places in Texas than California.

I really like Texas. I like the food. I like the people. I like the space. I like what Texas stands for. I just don't like the heat.

California, not so much. Way too much traffic. Too much indulgent overspending. Too many earthquakes, mudslides, wildfires. Too many regulations/laws. Too many finger waggers.

Oh yeah, and since I'm originally from the East Coast, the sun is in the wrong place at the wrong time at the beach.
That's reflected in the rest of your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 12:34 PM

637 posts, read 1,007,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think this is misleading, as the situation is very unique at the moment. California brewed up the mother of all speculative bubbles for itself. That was not the welfare crowd, but the conservative business crowd, especially arch-conservative Orange County, which was serving up no-doc loans like Happy Meals from 2003-2007. It is in the tank right now, but what destroyed the state was pure unscrupulous capitalism.

Viewed over a longer time frame, I think you would be hard pressed to find a more entrepreneurial and creative place than California. Hollywood, Silicon Valley, and OC are all three national powerhouses, and have been all my life.
So in one part of your post "arch-conservative Orange County" has a conservative business crowd that ruined California, but on the other hand, "OC" is a "national powerhouse" I'm actually not too sure what OC is known for besides bad reality TV shows, Disneyland, and beaches. Is that the powerhouse you're referring to?

And increasingly, Hollywood and Silicon Valley are being exported elsewhere, to more deserving places that won't chase them out of town with bad business policy. At the rate things are going, California will be extremely reliant on tourism only, like other third world like areas. Cool to vacation, not so cool to live in.

I prefer to stay in America.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:41 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,529,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
So in one part of your post "arch-conservative Orange County" has a conservative business crowd that ruined California, but on the other hand, "OC" is a "national powerhouse" I'm actually not too sure what OC is known for besides bad reality TV shows, Disneyland, and beaches. Is that the powerhouse you're referring to?

And increasingly, Hollywood and Silicon Valley are being exported elsewhere, to more deserving places that won't chase them out of town with bad business policy. At the rate things are going, California will be extremely reliant on tourism only, like other third world like areas. Cool to vacation, not so cool to live in.

Your "America" is a padded room locked from the outside.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:28 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,702,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post

I think both those statements about Orange County are true.

As for industry fleeing to business friendly states, perhaps. However, California has been tremendously innovative over time, so I think that it is very unlikely to sink to third world status anytime soon.

I am not California cheerleader. This just my read of things. It has have one of the most powerful economies in the world for most of the last century.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:32 PM

19,108 posts, read 16,492,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Your "America" is a padded room locked from the outside.

Is this the type of comments allenk was referring to when he compared real life and online encounters?

Old 05-22-2012, 03:36 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,253,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I think people from both states can be major a-holes. I've lived in Texas and had nothing but the utmost respect for Texans and Texas culture. I had a great time while I was there. I made all my life-long friends there. However, why is it that when I try to ask Texans something about either themselves or Texas culture on the Texas forum, I have always gotten really rude and sarcastic responses? I have no idea where that hostility is coming from. It's happened twice. I just don't get why they act like a-holes. I've lived there before. Is that not enough?! It's like you have to listed as living there to have any respect by them and that's what pisses me off because I have fond memories of Texas.

And then there's Californians. Most Californians I have met and befriended are totally cool and laid-back. However, the ones on the California forum are hella rude and nasty. They don't represent any of the Californians I have met in real life at all. It's just amazing to me to meet Californians who are so freaking negative because they truly are a rarity in my experience.

My opinion is that what's wrong with both of these states is their pride. Pride has never really been a good thing. I mean, it's okay to be patriotic for your city, state, & country. You should be. But when that turns to pride, that's when things get bad and you start thinking where your living is better than everyone else and it causes anger and strife in other people. Pride is actually a sin according to the Bible. So people should really get rid of that insecurity and just celebrate where you live rather than shoving it down everyone's throats.

I wouldn't take it personal. I think a lot of Texans have simply gotten in the habit of just automatically assuming a defensive position when we log in. We put up with a lot of mess from other posters on this site.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:37 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,324,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I'm with ya, Huge Foodie! Do we have to give up all the business created in California, though? You know ... Facebook, Google, eBay, a huge movie and entertainment industry, some of the finest wine producers and agriculture? Do we have to relinquish those to the rest of the country? If we go, they come with us!
You can keep facebook, huge waste of time in my book and fast and loose with privacy. Google is good but there are other options, Ebay on well, never used it. Movies nice fluf... wine is good for cali but other states have good wines too.... so yep you can keep it all.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:42 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,324,051 times
California is a state I flyover on the way to Asia, so I am not qualified to speak about it. Tx is great, easy to fly over both the west and east coasts in short order from here. Nice beaches in Italy and France along the Med.... with mountains near by....good wine in France...nice world class cities in Euro and Asia...not sure there is any reason to stop in flyover country.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:55 PM

19,108 posts, read 16,492,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
You can keep facebook, huge waste of time in my book and fast and loose with privacy. Google is good but there are other options, Ebay on well, never used it. Movies nice fluf... wine is good for cali but other states have good wines too.... so yep you can keep it all.

Well, alright then. Oh and in case you didn't notice, I added the emoticons the wink and big grin because I was trying to keep humor in my post. The thing is, I don't believe California - or Texas - for that matter, are any better or worse than any other state in the country. I'm always amazed at the people, though. Some are just so angry but it has nothing to do with the state they live in. It's just their personality. I think each state has good and bad about them but all are part of the U.S.. That's not a bad thing, at all!

Old 05-22-2012, 05:00 PM

1,779 posts, read 4,002,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
California and Texas are either loved or hated because they represent two completly opposite lifestyles. California represents the liberal counterculture lifestyle. People dont go to Indiana to "find themselves" they go to California. If someone grows up somewhere conservative and traditional and they adopt a lifestyle that is unacceptable where they come from, they move to California. California is a collection bin for Americas eccentrics and misfits. Many people who are politically liberal and free thinker types admire this in California, while those who support traditonal values and conservative politics run the state down. Texas is the opposite, it is a place where traditonal values reign supreme. People in Texas in general do not support counterculture lifestyles, they go to church and vote for conservatives. They are largely patriotic, drive big gas guzzling trucks and eat lots of red meat. If you are a person who is conservative and traditional then you will like Texas, however if you are a dirty hippy then im sure Texas is not your favorite place. If you want to know a persons politics and view on social issues like gay marriage ask them how they feel about those two states. Thier answers will likely reveal thier views on politics and social issues.

This was funny because I live in Texas, don't go to church (In fact, am of another religion) drive only a sedan, and am a vegetarian as well . No problems living here though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.