U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2007, 01:07 PM

4 posts, read 22,028 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am new to these forums but am so glad I found them. I love learning about new places and have learned a lot since I have come here. I currently live in Colorado with my Husband and our 2 beautiful young children. Colorado is beautiful but I would like to explore other states and cities. Maybe you all can give me some ideas for my "close to perfect" town.

This is what I am looking for:

Small town or suburb of a city
BEAUTIFUL SECNERY - I love places that are VERY green with lots of tree's and rolling hills.
Great People - Like southern hospitality
SAFE - somewhere we can raise our kids
Climate - I would like a place with all 4 seasons.
Low - Medium Cost of living

Please share what you think is the perfect town and any pictures would be GREAT.

Thank you all!

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 01:13 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,949,544 times
Albany, NY or Syracuse, NY area.

Saratoga Springs sounds prefect for you. It's a beautiful village north of Albany. It's very close to the Adirondack Mountains, and it's set in the foothills of the ADK's. Best of all, you can take an overnight or weekend trip to NYC because it's not too far away. I'll post some pics... Just have to find some first.

Just a few I found on google.

Last edited by Futcha; 09-21-2007 at 01:29 PM..

Old 09-21-2007, 01:16 PM

49 posts, read 177,476 times
I say Kentucky or Tennessee....Asheville, NC too

Old 09-21-2007, 01:35 PM

7,932 posts, read 14,419,474 times
That sounds like Scranton, PA. Its a small city of about 74,000, all the amenities of a city with a small-town feel. Surrounded by mountains and abundant outdoor recreation. Low crime. Defintely 4 seasons....summers can be hot, spring and fall are nice (all of the mountains provide fall foliage scenery like no place I've seen), and although winters can be cold and snowy, its not like Cleveland or Buffalo. And cost of living? Cost of living is very low....home prices are very affordable. The schools are excellent. Plus, we're close enough to big cities while being far enough away to insulate us from the problems. New York City and Philadelphia are both only 2 hours away, Baltimore is 3 hours, and Washington is about 4 hours away.

Here's some photo tours of Scranton done by another forum member:

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...l-section.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...west-side.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...-aug-park.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...-part-one.html

Old 09-21-2007, 01:46 PM

4 posts, read 22,028 times
WOW! Thank you so much for responding so quickly. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures. They are alll beautiful! Please keep them coming!

Thank you!

Old 09-21-2007, 02:08 PM

2,039 posts, read 5,932,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seelyracing View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am new to these forums but am so glad I found them. I love learning about new places and have learned a lot since I have come here. I currently live in Colorado with my Husband and our 2 beautiful young children. Colorado is beautiful but I would like to explore other states and cities. Maybe you all can give me some ideas for my "close to perfect" town.

This is what I am looking for:

Small town or suburb of a city
BEAUTIFUL SECNERY - I love places that are VERY green with lots of tree's and rolling hills.
Great People - Like southern hospitality
SAFE - somewhere we can raise our kids
Climate - I would like a place with all 4 seasons.
Low - Medium Cost of living

Please share what you think is the perfect town and any pictures would be GREAT.

Thank you all!

Believe it or not -- PITTSBURGH, PA has everything you have requested.
http://www.cmu.edu/mcs/images/photos/pgh-dusk.jpg (broken link)
Moderator cut: copyrighted material

Pittsburgh Pennsylvania Neighborhoods : Pittsburgh Travel Information

Pittsburgh, once again has been named FIRST:

KDKA) PITTSBURGH Pittsburgh has reclaimed the top spot in a new ranking of the nation’s most livable cities.

Moderator cut: copyrighted material

Last edited by Yac; 12-12-2007 at 01:50 AM..

Old 04-17-2016, 07:50 PM

6 posts, read 4,796 times
Willamina Oregon. Half hour to coast or Salem. GORGEOUS SCENERY. Nice people, parks, history, live music, Sally town zero stoplights or chain stores. Lots of good things happening.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:50 PM

6,112 posts, read 2,623,773 times
Asheville NC, Knoxville TN, Roanoke VA, Spokane WA, Boise, ID

Old 04-19-2016, 11:20 PM

2,190 posts, read 1,643,625 times
Burlington, Vermont. The Portland, ME area. Saratoga Springs. Northampton/Amherst in western mass.

This is a 9 year old thread I doubt we're helping the OP haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.