Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 05:55 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Agreed. New England is much more singles friendly compared to other regions of the country like the Midwest- which has a very strong suburban mentality overall.
Exactly. Places like Northampton MA, Burlington VT, Portland ME, and even the Berkshires are all singles friendly. People who say things like that must have it stuck in their head, because people in New England don't care if someone is single.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 02:38 PM

10 posts, read 16,296 times
All I can say based on experience is Charlotte, NC. Probably should be in first place for white hetero males for places NOT to live if you are single. I have been here for 15 years, I could have had a more active and better sex life and social life in a muslim country than here.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:58 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,713 times
I'm a bartender in Boston and I used to work in Miami as well.

I have listened to many Boston men complain about how it's hard to find "cute women" or just complain about lack of options in Boston since many women don't go out much or are in serious relationships.

Last night one of our regulars was yelling "Whats a guy got to do to get laid in this city?" and one of the male bartenders responded "Have a fist full of 100s"

People generally are very cold and unwelcoming towards newcomers and the only chance of meeting someone new outside of work or school is at a bar. It's still pretty bad, as people at bars here seem to have sticks up there asses and/or superiority complexes. I also have noticed booze used as a social crutch here more than in Miami.

Also, rarely do I see a man pay for a ladies drink

haha...

So, Miami it's easy to meet new people. People are generally friendly at bars and I always see people socializing with others they did not arrive with. Buying each other drinks instead of splitting one bill with 3 credit cards. The lifestyle is certainly more conducive to being single and may even make it difficult for one to want to stay in a committed relationship.

Men tend to pay for women's drinks. People in Miami like to dance and so many interesting people gravitate there, you'll be amazed at how many different types of people with different backgrounds you will meet at the beach, starbucks, or in your apartment building.

Relationships can be more superficial down there, but it's all about what works better for you.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:51 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I'm a bartender in Boston and I used to work in Miami as well.

I have listened to many Boston men complain about how it's hard to find "cute women" or just complain about lack of options in Boston since many women don't go out much or are in serious relationships.

Last night one of our regulars was yelling "Whats a guy got to do to get laid in this city?" and one of the male bartenders responded "Have a fist full of 100s"

People generally are very cold and unwelcoming towards newcomers and the only chance of meeting someone new outside of work or school is at a bar. It's still pretty bad, as people at bars here seem to have sticks up there asses and/or superiority complexes. I also have noticed booze used as a social crutch here more than in Miami.

Also, rarely do I see a man pay for a ladies drink

haha...

So, Miami it's easy to meet new people. People are generally friendly at bars and I always see people socializing with others they did not arrive with. Buying each other drinks instead of splitting one bill with 3 credit cards. The lifestyle is certainly more conducive to being single and may even make it difficult for one to want to stay in a committed relationship.

Men tend to pay for women's drinks. People in Miami like to dance and so many interesting people gravitate there, you'll be amazed at how many different types of people with different backgrounds you will meet at the beach, starbucks, or in your apartment building.

Relationships can be more superficial down there, but it's all about what works better for you.
I've just moved back to Miami from not far from Boston. The shock still hasn't kicked in as I'm still getting re-established, but I know it will take time.

I know some disagreed with me, but I would not put Boston up there as a great place for singles, unless you're a college student. If (as I am) you're somewhat above college age, options seemed limited. I also noticed that most of the people I worked with were married with kids. When you factor that in, plus how New Englanders in general can be tough nuts to crack as an outsider, it is not somewhere I'd choose to live if I were going to be single for a long period of time.

Your analysis of Miami is a good one. Yes, it is superficial and image oriented in many respects, but there are also good people here who are up for a laugh. It's not uncommon to see people (single or married) hitting bars well into their 40's. It's a sketchy city, but that's part of the charm. You do get all sorts living here...lots of different lifestyles and ethnicities.

If I am to be single for a while, I would prefer to be single in South Florida. If I were married & had kids, New England hand down.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:53 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
I don't know. When ever I travel to Boston for work, I'm able to meet women with ease. If I can meet women on a 2-5 week work trip, people that actually live there should be able to find somebody.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:15 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
If being yourself is of paramount interest, the San Francisco Bay Area is great to be single in. If you can afford it, there's no excuse to stay home on the weekends; it's just such a beautiful place to live.

If you're a guy and want to find a girl with some personality, the San Francisco Bay Area is a terrible place to be single in. B*tches rule the day here, especially the whites and Americanized Hispanics, although the foreign-born and some Asian-American chicks are generally nicer.

My goal: enjoy the area while trying to find the right foreign-born gal as I generally find them more interesting and better mannered, anyway.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:46 PM

38 posts, read 76,933 times
Default curious about Charlotte for outdoorsy type males

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkindlyskydiver View Post
All I can say based on experience is Charlotte, NC. Probably should be in first place for white hetero males for places NOT to live if you are single. I have been here for 15 years, I could have had a more active and better sex life and social life in a muslim country than here.
Just saw your post and wanted to ask you (and other posters) more about Charlotte. My understanding is that Charlotte has the National White Water Center and numerous mountain bike trails. Also, there is the CHOA (charlotte outdoor adventure club or group). It seems like there would be many singles interested in outdoor activities or is that more of a marketing phenomenon??

I have only been in Charlotte once a few years back for race week. We were actually just passing through but during race week it seemed like an interesting city. On the other hand, I have heard that race week is about the most exciting time of the entire year.

I was considering Charlotte as a possible place for relocation and as a single male in my late 30s your post raised some concerns.
Thanks

Old 06-07-2012, 07:42 PM

10 posts, read 16,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepanite View Post
Just saw your post and wanted to ask you (and other posters) more about Charlotte. My understanding is that Charlotte has the National White Water Center and numerous mountain bike trails. Also, there is the CHOA (charlotte outdoor adventure club or group). It seems like there would be many singles interested in outdoor activities or is that more of a marketing phenomenon??

I have only been in Charlotte once a few years back for race week. We were actually just passing through but during race week it seemed like an interesting city. On the other hand, I have heard that race week is about the most exciting time of the entire year.

I was considering Charlotte as a possible place for relocation and as a single male in my late 30s your post raised some concerns.
Thanks
WhiteWater Park; marketing. An example of this was over a year ago. I was looking at a magazine name Southern Living is an excellent magazine. They had an article the name of 15 Must Places To Visit in the South. One of which was the Whitewater Park. My first reaction was how much of a bribe did it take to get on this list???? Another man saw the same article his reaction was the same. The Park is alright/OK but under NO circumstances go out of your way to visit it. If you go there after reading articles or hearing advertising about it. You will be in for a disapointment. Another little talked about fact. The Whitewater park filed Chapter 11/13 Bankruptcy for protection from their creditors. They are going to pay; but go the payments cut in half. Otherwise we wouldn't have anything to talk about. The gates would be chained closed and the park closed. It has done nothing but hemorrage money since it opened; another GovCo private sector venture. Every joint venture involving the private sector{business-private enterprise} and GovCo= City of Charlotte and/ or Mecklenburg County dies. A slow painfull financial death.
Yes there is mountain biking and trails, but head west and a little north for the real stuff, think Asheville area; think Lenoir, Boone, Ashe, Watauga, Alexander, Buncomb, Gaston, Lincoln, Cleveland counties west of Char/Meck. For real hills/mountains outdoor trails and great outdoor experiences.
For "Speed Street" yeah it used to be something. Say 15 years ago you had the real people from NASCAR here right uptown in the hotels. They built real hotels up in Concord near the speedway and now the real NASCAR people stay up there. Speedstreet is nothing but a bunch of vendors selling over priced junk food and crap souveneers(sp.?). These same vendors go all over the Piedmont to fairs, festivals and events selling the same crap all year.
As far as singles: Hey you are in your late 30's, if you are athletic and in good shape. 6 ft or taller and making at least 75K or more a year and you are a half way decent guy. You will be alright here.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:52 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
I've witnessed some serious fortunate luck being single in Minneapolis! Between the one week I was single and the one day my cousin visited and went out to mingle at the clubs, my experience is that it's a damn good place to be single......at least over the age of 21! I have no idea what the general concensus is though.....this is just what I've seen.

Girls are just.....forward!

Old 07-06-2012, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,736 times
I'm looking to move to a city that would be good for a single girl in get 30's. I currently live in San Diego and I think I'm over California. I definitely don't want to move to a college town. I was thinking of trying Miami, Texas, or Chicago. Anyone have any suggestions or comments to help me out. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.