Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 04:56 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
In my experience, this is because they don't live next to many minorities. Racial tension seems to be greater wherever minorities live in greater numbers, with some exceptions.
Seattle has fewer ethnic enclaves in general compared to many cities - to an extent, this is due to the lower number of minorities as a whole. But throughout the city, you'll find those minorities generally living in the same areas as white people with more or less no tension at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 06:10 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Well having people live in neighborhoods that are more segregated doesn't have to mean the place isn't integrated at all. It's not really cut and dry. Here in Chicago the neighborhoods are fairly segregated, but it's not like you don't see thousands of blacks, asians, whites and hispanics mixing downtown and on buses, trains and in stores every day. People work in retail in different areas, etc.

As far as where it is true though, I think by far the most segregated areas where you only see one race are the black areas, followed by the hispanic areas, then white and asian. So I suppose as a white person I'd probably think of Chicago as a lot more integrated than a black person on the south side.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:41 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,884 times
Default Best intergrated

Best 1. Houston

2. New York

3. Seattle ( minorities are sooo sparse that they can't make up an entire community. Also asians tend to integrate well whith caucasians)

Worst

1. detroit

2. baltimore

3. Chicago

Old 05-30-2012, 12:50 AM

230 posts, read 526,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
The OP list and Huge Foodie 215 lists were unbelievably asinine, this list is much better.

The Northeast has the most poorly integrated cities. Baltimore and Detroit I'd consider to be the real worst, they're both as segregated as they were in the 50's. DC is definitely there too, with the evermoving line of white gentrifiers being the only diversity in DC neighborhoods. Montgomery County is very diverse, forget the rest of the entire area where you'd walk down the street and think the 50's never ended as far as race.
No sir, it is your list that is asinine thank you.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Best: San Fran and Bay Area

Worst: WA DC, Seattle. Seattle bus drivers are the worst. They are hostile to African American passengers.

Interesting that we had a thread on this exact same topic just about two months ago. Was that yours, too, ipod?
Nope, wasn't my topic.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You kidding me? Houston is one of the most integrated city in the US.

And apart from one or two burbs the city itself is much more integrated than the burbs.

You know not what you are talking about.
Oh yes I do. I'm from H-town. Although I haven't lived there proper since 1998, so I dunno, maybe things have changed now. In my childhood I lived on the northside (cavalcade, jensen, irvington), 3rd ward, and 5th ward. Yes I know these are the ghetto areas, but even aside from these parts, Houston proper was segregated as hell. At there were mostly only blacks and Mexicans. And the two groups never mingled. The only place in Houston proper where you even see whites in large quantities are the Galleria, University Place, downtown, and Texas Medical Center. When I ride public transit in any other city, you see people from different backgrounds. In Houston, when you ride the bus, for the most part all you see is black folk, and some Latinos. However on the Park and Ride buses in Houston, all you see are white folk.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:55 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,820,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Funny. Even though Seattle is lily-white compared to other cities I've lived in, when I lived there, I found that racial tolerance and acceptance was exemplary; probably the closest thing to a colorblind city that I've ever been to.
I agree! It's crazy how well 99% of the people get along up here and intermingle in their social groups. Especially the younger folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Worst: WA DC, Seattle. Seattle bus drivers are the worst. They are hostile to African American passengers.
And coincidentally the example I was going to give is this...

I am a Seattle bus driver, relatively new hire. In my "class" of 21 trainees we had 1 from Egypt, 1 from India, 1 Japanese-Peruvian, 3 who were from or of East African descent, three African-Americans, and me, a Mexican-American, and maybe one or two I'm forgetting who were not white, some were Christian, some were Muslim, some were whatever, men, women, etc., some were Washington natives, others from back east, and so forth. We were best of friends by the end of training. Truly a diverse workforce, and not just my training class, but all of the 2,500 transit drivers in King County. You simply cannot say that many people are ALL racist to one group of minorities, especially considering how many minority drivers there are, racial and otherwise.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:59 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod99 View Post
Oh yes I do. I'm from H-town. Although I haven't lived there proper since 1998, so I dunno, maybe things have changed now. In my childhood I lived on the northside (cavalcade, jensen, irvington), 3rd ward, and 5th ward. Yes I know these are the ghetto areas, but even aside from these parts, Houston proper was segregated as hell. At there were mostly only blacks and Mexicans. And the two groups never mingled. The only place in Houston proper where you even see whites in large quantities are the Galleria, University Place, downtown, and Texas Medical Center. When I ride public transit in any other city, you see people from different backgrounds. In Houston, when you ride the bus, for the most part all you see is black folk, and some Latinos. However on the Park and Ride buses in Houston, all you see are white folk.
Houston is a city that is more segregated by income than race. The areas of Houston that you lived in are considerably low income, and these areas are almost always solidly minority, everywhere in the nation. Give me some examples of non-gentrified neighborhoods where that isn't true. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but they aren't the rule.

All of those higher class areas have a significant amount of minorities. I used to ride the bus years ago, and I saw virtually every race you could think of.

The fact of the matter is that in most of Houston (particularly the SW side), the level of integration that we have is hard to beat, and you're solely mistaken if you think we're one of the worst. Have you ever been to Dallas, Atlanta, or Detroit? Your isolated perception is not necessarily what is real. People always have an exaggerated opinion of the places they've lived, be it negative or positive.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:05 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
As much as I love St. Louis, I'll have to say it probably nears the top of this list. In St. Louis and surrounds, you have the mostly black areas and the mostly white areas. Although a few areas / neighborhoods are seeing some degree of integration, the STL has a long way to go before this is fully achieved.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:25 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,367 times
For those who like to see pretty visualizations, Eric Fischer's flickr has his 2010 Census Race Maps here. They are pretty fascinating.

He also has the 2000 maps up in a different set, so you can compare and contrast cities as they've changed in the last 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.