Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:32 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Perhaps Washington, DC. I haven't looked up the MD and VA numbers, but I'd bet they exceed the pop of the city proper.
Yes, by far. Almost 90% of the metro area population lives in Virginia and Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 10:37 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Don't think there are any multi state metros where more people live in the state where the downtown isn't, but there are several where the other state is growing faster (percentage wise or in actual numbers). Cincinnati's OH side is only growing 2% every 10 years while Northern Kentucky is growing 15% percent at the same time.

A small scale example I can think of is Middlesboro KY (pop. 10,000) which is the main shopping area for the Tri state Cumberland Gap region even though the adjacent county in TN (Claibourne) has a bigger population but only a couple po dunk towns with one McDonalds and no Wal Mart between them.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:41 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,595 times
I can think of three examples that meet or come close to the OPs question... all of which are in West Virginia.

1. Huntington-Ashland WV-KY-OH

While WV has a plurality of metro residents, a majority live outside WV in KY and OH.

MSA 287,702

West Virginia 138,800 48.2%
Kentucky 86,452 30.1%
Ohio 62,450 21.7%
Out of state 51.8%

2. Weirton-Steubenville, WV-OH

This metro area is roughly split in half amongst WV and OH... but it's a bit confusing to determine which state is "out-of-state". It is a bi-nodal MSA with Weirton usually getting top billing because it is the most populous municipality. However, anyone who knows the area knows that Steubenville is the real primary city. Weirton has about 1,000 more residents... but has twice the area of Steubenville (resulting in half the population density). However, WV metros in the Northern Panhandle also get a bit screwed due to the odd geography of the area... WV is only a few miles wide for much of the panhandle. If these were normal-sized counties, perhaps the balance would favor WV.

MSA 124,994

West Virginia 55,285 - 44.2%
Ohio 69,709 - 55.8%

3. Wheeling, WV-OH

Almost half of Metro Wheeling residents live across the Ohio River.

MSA 147,950

West Virginia 77,550 52.4%
Ohio 70,400 47.6%

Old 05-31-2012, 06:45 PM

963 posts, read 2,410,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
No doubt but DC is a special case. DC isn't a state either.
True, but I'm one of those overly simplistic "let's make them all states" people when it comes to DC, Puerto Rico, Guam, the Marianas, USVI, American Samoa. If they get federal dollars but aren't paying income tax, or if they have interstates (PR has four, though they are unsigned, or "secret" interstates, just like the 4 in Alaska), or if they are included as part of the US Census, then I don't exclude them from these kinds of surveys and rankings.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:49 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
True, but I'm one of those overly simplistic "let's make them all states" people when it comes to DC, Puerto Rico, Guam, the Marianas, USVI, American Samoa. If they get federal dollars but aren't paying income tax, or if they have interstates (PR has four, though they are unsigned, or "secret" interstates, just like the 4 in Alaska), or if they are included as part of the US Census, then I don't exclude them from these kinds of surveys and rankings.
Agree...but as for the population thing DC is so small it can't possibly hold the majority of the 5.4 million residents of the Washington metro.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:44 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
Quote:
Perhaps Washington, DC. I haven't looked up the MD and VA numbers, but I'd bet they exceed the pop of the city proper.
Yes - Washington DC is not part of any state, but an entity all of its own. Approximately 80% or so of metro Washington DC's population lives in suburban MD or VA. In fact, this is a major reason why the crime, health, and socio-economic statistics of DC proper, historically ranked so badly compared with other U.S. cities. This is less the case now that the DC core city is getting gentrified with a better class of people.

Then there are twin cities that span borders, like San Diego - Tijuana, Detroit - Windsor, and El Paso - Juarez.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:20 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,582 times
The only one I can think of that might work is Kansas City. I haven't looked anything up, but I think the population of KC's metro area is roughly similar in both Kansas and Missouri. Kansas may have slightly more?

Old 05-31-2012, 11:32 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,963 times
Actually, Missouri has slightly more of Kansas City's metro population. There's not a huge difference, though.
For the confused, Kansas City, the big one, is in Missouri. A much smaller Kansas City is just across the state line in Kansas. It's basically a suburb of the one in Missouri. So, yes, there are two cities with the name of Kansas City. They are next door to each other, in two different states, and have completely separate governments.
The Kansas side is suburbs only. The Missouri side is big city + suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.