Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 04:35 PM

44 posts, read 58,112 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm looking for a specific place here are my qualificationns

Some scenery
Small town feel (feel, doesn't have to be small)
east of the mississippi river
Within a hour of a major city (being about 80,000 people)
Many lakes near by
Snow in the winter for at least 2 months
Not very humid but that is not priority

Come on there has to be a place for me America!
Thanks for all the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 05:01 PM

570 posts, read 1,340,102 times
Do you mean snow has to stay on the ground most of the time for at least 2 months? Or just that you can/do get some snow for a couple of months? If you need it to stay on the ground, this will limit you to the farther northern areas. If you want to see snow, but don't need it on the ground for extended periods, it will open up more options

Old 05-31-2012, 05:04 PM

I would like to see snow and have it stay on the ground for at least a month, I would like a White christmas so to speak

Old 05-31-2012, 05:31 PM

570 posts, read 1,340,102 times
How about New Hampshire? Snow on the ground, many lakes, many places with a small town feel. Lake Winnipesaukee is the biggest lake, but there are lots more to choose from. And most places in New Hampshire are close enough for weekend trips (or even day trips) to Boston.

Another favorite of mine that meets the criteria is Maine, specifically the Portland area. The Downeaster train goes directly to Boston - not fast enough to commute but great for leisure time in Boston.

Lots of towns around the Finger Lakes in upstate NY also meet the criteria. Skaneateles is close to Syracuse; Geneva, Canandaigua are near Rochester. Ithaca is great, too, but rarely has snow on the ground at Christmas. And when the snow comes it doesn't stay too long before melting (I live ~30 min away from Ithaca)

//www.city-data.com/city/Skaneateles-New-York.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Canandaigua-New-York.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Portland-Maine.html

Old 05-31-2012, 07:57 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,430 times
If you want to look to the Southeast, where the winter weather isn't too extreme, you might think about Asheville, NC or Knoxville, TN. Both are nice not-too-big cities with lakes nearby. Both get anywhere from 1 to 1.5 feet of snow in a typical winter (more than most Southern locations), but it might not necessarily stay on the ground for all that long.

Or, if it's colder winters you want, try eastern Minnesota (outside the Twin Cities) or the Madison area of Wisconsin. Just barely to the east of the Mississippi River...and it's the land of 10,000 lakes!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:56 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Sorry the typical winter in Knoxville might get 8" of snow. That actually stays on the ground. If it stays for a week it's highly unusual. Asheville might get a bit more snow but doesn't have as many lakes.

I think it's the finger lakes for the OP.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:13 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Some others in NY that come to mind that you could look into are: Oswego, Sackets Harbor, Cazenovia, Waterloo, Seneca Falls(supposedly the movie, "It's a Wonderful Life" was based off of it), Auburn, Liverpool(village), Geneseo, Fredonia, Youngstown, Lewiston, Plattsburgh, Lake George, Saratoga Springs and maybe places like Cooperstown and Ticonderoga too. There may be others.

Also, if you ever go to Skaneateles, you may like this: Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - Dickens' Christmas in Skaneateles

Or the It's a Wonderful Life celebration in Seneca Falls: The Real Bedford Falls

Old 06-01-2012, 11:29 AM

does anyone know anything about the charlottesville va and surrounding areas?

Old 06-01-2012, 12:10 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,430 times
Charlottesville's a very pretty area, borderline as to whether it would meet your winter weather criteria, and it's only about 90 minutes from DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.