Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 05:30 PM

986 posts, read 2,508,676 times

Advertisements

If anyone has personal experience or knows a rough age when their parents or relatives had to "move south," please post opinions. I'm asking this in the summer because asking it in the winter might draw more subjectivity. Obviously, winter isn't always "fun" by a long shot!

I'm referring to people who once enjoyed the aesthetic aspects of snowy winters, but found it too physically overwhelming at some point, or even life-threatening. These would be relatively mobile "old" people with no major health problems. Thanks for any comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 06:06 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
My next door neighbor is 87 and still loves the winter here, my Parents are in their mid-late 70's and still enjoy getting out during the winter in Northern Maine (Caribou/Presque Isle area if you care to see how far north that is.) There isn't ANY age where winter gets "life threatening" there are situations where that may be true, but those are few and far between.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:17 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
I hate the winter but not enough to make me move... especially to the south, lol. It sucks to drive in it and commute to work but whatever- such is the life of a Northeasterner. You get used to it after a while.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:07 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times
cold weather is much safer than extreme heat..so technically no certain 'age' is designated to determine ones enjoyment or hatred of winters. it's all in personal preference. I personally can't stand extreme heat, so I'll always stay north.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:14 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,363 times
After you slip and break your prosthetic hip.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:32 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
After working in Houston all my professional life, we moved north after retirement specifically to enjoy cold winters. What's not to enjoy:

Old 06-22-2012, 10:44 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
If anyone has personal experience or knows a rough age when their parents or relatives had to "move south," please post opinions. I'm asking this in the summer because asking it in the winter might draw more subjectivity. Obviously, winter isn't always "fun" by a long shot!

I'm referring to people who once enjoyed the aesthetic aspects of snowy winters, but found it too physically overwhelming at some point, or even life-threatening. These would be relatively mobile "old" people with no major health problems. Thanks for any comments.
You could move "in town" to an age restricted community with HOA fees for road maintenance in winter. The "in town" option works well for those people that want amenities nearby within a very short drive or almost walking distance. Wolfeboro, NH is a big retirement destination for a northern area with snowy winters, but it is fairly expensive there.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:45 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post

Well considering people are working longer than they were in years past, the age has gone up. I have a few family members that became snowbirds and would do 4-5 months/year down in Florida, the other 7-8 up in Massachusetts. They made the decision when they were in their late 60s.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You could move "in town" to an age restricted community with HOA fees for road maintenance in winter. The "in town" option works well for those people that want amenities nearby within a very short drive or almost walking distance. Wolfeboro, NH is a big retirement destination for a northern area with snowy winters, but it is fairly expensive there.
Actually, I'm barely 40 now. Just wondering whether to make a permanent home of a place that could be potentially lethal if the heating fails, and considering future rising heating costs with Peak Oil in the picture now.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
My next door neighbor is 87 and still loves the winter here, my Parents are in their mid-late 70's and still enjoy getting out during the winter in Northern Maine (Caribou/Presque Isle area if you care to see how far north that is.) There isn't ANY age where winter gets "life threatening" there are situations where that may be true, but those are few and far between.
Then what's with so many old folk retiring in Florida? Cold is definitely harder on the elderly, with their poorer circulation and such. I can already feel it more than I did when young. I suppose my question is hard to answer with the big YMMV factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.