Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 11:03 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times

Advertisements

Best:

1)Nevada

2)Utah

3)Arizona

4)New Mexico

5)Colorado

They're equally all good.
No segregated truck speed limit, only traffic clogs are near the big cities, and the weigh station personnel treat you like human beings if you treat them just as well.
When it comes to inclement/winter driving conditions, they actually have multiple forms of advanced warning.
This way, you could decide if you want to push through, or just find some place to wait out the conditions.
And parking spots are quite ample and are always nearby cool things to do during off/down-time.
Anytime I roll through these areas, I never think twice about it.

Worst:

1)California(especially anywhere not in the desert)

2)Oregon

3)Washington

4)Long Island part of NY

5)Rest of New England states in general.

These particular states have it all in common to certain extents.
Segregated truck speed limits where it's usually 55mph for trucks and cars can do whatever.
Parking is usually limited to truck-stops and other rest areas located far out of the delivery city limits.(Although Portland OR's an exception with a couple of good T/S not far from downtown)
Traffic is pretty much a nightmare with the exception of a few hours during the late-night/early morning.
Weigh stations, it's all about microscope-inspections of trucks and getting shut down over the most minor of issues. And the inspectors/personnel treating you like garbage regardless of how well you treat them.
Then there's just the whole negative attitude towards big vehicles in general in these states.

I honestly don't know how many people actually drive or have driven commercial vehicles on this site.
There's forums out there dedicated to the profession, but anytime I put a posting up like this, most drivers on those forums take it as some sort of attack against the profession and the thread goes into "locked" land.

With a little bit of everybody in here, it's a bit easier to see where everyone stands when it comes to the 18-wheeled monstrosities of the asphalt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 05:54 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Having driven truck in the past Ill agree with most of your list. Instead of individule states I would say that all northeastern states are more difficult to drive in. Strict laws, few truck stops, population unfriendly to truckers and of course awful traffic all contribute to this. Some areas of the northeast arent that bad like parts of Pa, or northern secions of New England but overall the region is a tough one for truckers. California is similar, not sure about PNW never got up there. Most of the rest of the country is not that bad, other than hotspots like Atlanta, DFW and Chicago. Most of the midwest and south are easy. Upper midwest states like Mi, Wi, Mn are easy except in thier legendary winter weather. The mountain west is only challenging because of grade and weather. Same thing for parts of the Appalachian area.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Having driven truck in the past Ill agree with most of your list. Instead of individule states I would say that all northeastern states are more difficult to drive in. Strict laws, few truck stops, population unfriendly to truckers and of course awful traffic all contribute to this. Some areas of the northeast arent that bad like parts of Pa, or northern secions of New England but overall the region is a tough one for truckers. California is similar, not sure about PNW never got up there. Most of the rest of the country is not that bad, other than hotspots like Atlanta, DFW and Chicago. Most of the midwest and south are easy. Upper midwest states like Mi, Wi, Mn are easy except in thier legendary winter weather. The mountain west is only challenging because of grade and weather. Same thing for parts of the Appalachian area.
I've driven all those areas and tend to favor sticking to the southwest in general, regardless of getting a local or regional OTR gig.
I will say that the Mid-West is pretty spot on as being fairly easy to deal with as well as the south.

However, it's been awhile since I last drove full-48 state, so I'll just go with your word and past experience.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:13 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
5)Rest of New England states in general.

These particular states have it all in common to certain extents.
Segregated truck speed limits where it's usually 55mph for trucks and cars can do whatever.
Parking is usually limited to truck-stops and other rest areas located far out of the delivery city limits.(Although Portland OR's an exception with a couple of good T/S not far from downtown)
Traffic is pretty much a nightmare with the exception of a few hours during the late-night/early morning.
Weigh stations, it's all about microscope-inspections of trucks and getting shut down over the most minor of issues. And the inspectors/personnel treating you like garbage regardless of how well you treat them.
Then there's just the whole negative attitude towards big vehicles in general in these states.

I honestly don't know how many people actually drive or have driven commercial vehicles on this site.
There's forums out there dedicated to the profession, but anytime I put a posting up like this, most drivers on those forums take it as some sort of attack against the profession and the thread goes into "locked" land.

With a little bit of everybody in here, it's a bit easier to see where everyone stands when it comes to the 18-wheeled monstrosities of the asphalt!
Never drove a trailer or articulated truck, but, when I was a teenager in Boston, I had a job (of questionable legality) driving a 22-foot Mitsubishi box truck for a company, which was just about the biggest thing you could drive in Boston. Man. What a god damned nightmare that was. Making turns, changing lanes, getting through intersections... on those tiny streets, you were basically everyone else's enemy.

It was a relief getting onto the Pike but in pretty much any of the towns you had to go through, you ran into the same issues of narrow streets, often one-way; unforgiving fellow motorists, bored and overzealous cops, etc.

I actually miss that truck though... I named it "Homie"

Old 06-03-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Never drove a trailer or articulated truck, but, when I was a teenager in Boston, I had a job (of questionable legality) driving a 22-foot Mitsubishi box truck for a company, which was just about the biggest thing you could drive in Boston. Man. What a god damned nightmare that was. Making turns, changing lanes, getting through intersections... on those tiny streets, you were basically everyone else's enemy.

It was a relief getting onto the Pike but in pretty much any of the towns you had to go through, you ran into the same issues of narrow streets, often one-way; unforgiving fellow motorists, bored and overzealous cops, etc.

I actually miss that truck though... I named it "Homie"
And yet these shippers think these 75' vehicles will navigate the antiquated streets with ease.
There are some that can hack it, then there's the rest of us that would rather drop it off at the city-limits.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:52 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
And yet these shippers think these 75' vehicles will navigate the antiquated streets with ease.
There are some that can hack it, then there's the rest of us that would rather drop it off at the city-limits.

The worst experience i ever had was navigating a semi truck through the back streets of Fall River Ma to make a delivery there. The consignee had to clear a small back street just to make it possible to get my truck in there. Those 400 year old streets were made for the horse and cart, not 18 wheelers.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:07 AM

Judging by the thread, I guess it's safe to say that there aren't too many of us on this board.
Makes you wonder if the rest of everyone else driving gets sufficient breaks in loads, or just roll 'til you drop.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:25 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Imagine that the NE and Ca are anti business lol. Thanks for all you do to keep this economy working. I see a lot of trucks licensed in Oklahoma probably something to do with the tax or registration cost. Good thread!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Imagine that the NE and Ca are anti business lol. Thanks for all you do to keep this economy working. I see a lot of trucks licensed in Oklahoma probably something to do with the tax or registration cost. Good thread!
I think only commercial vehicles are given that exemption regardless of where the company could be based.
I've even seen it where all the tractors have base plates of either the home-state or another state, and the trailers could be anyones guess.

So far, there have only been two companies I've run with where the plates belonged to the state the business was located in.
TN and UT respectively.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:36 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Overdrive Magazine's annual survey consistently shows owner/operator truckers select the Tennessee part of I-40 to be the best stretch of highway and I-10 in Louisiana to be the worst which barely beat out I-95 near NYC as the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.