Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,576 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find a pagan/wiccan enclosed community in which to live. I want to get back to the basics. unfortunately, I am having no luck. suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 09:36 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Another one(Oniontown in NY): https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/p...-0000126-v19n1

Old 06-03-2017, 07:29 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Sorry to resurrect a dormant thread but i can think of some states that are insular. Iowa, Wyoming, and western Montana. I've found lots of people in Iowa can't go three sentences without saying the name of their state and seem to never leave. Even their biggest vacation is the state fair. Western Montana and Wyoming have many residents with beliefs from the 1800s and anyone from outside the area is bad.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:35 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
There are not really any Irish Travelers or "Gypsies" in the US-they assimilate more so here than in Ireland.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:13 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
There are not really any Irish Travelers or "Gypsies" in the US-they assimilate more so here than in Ireland.
Maybe, but depends what you mean by assimilate.

In parts of greater Boston in the early 80s, "gypsies" would knock on doors asking for innocuous things such as a glass of water. When the homeowner went to get it, one of them would sneak in and steal small valuables.

My impression was that they were Romanian, not Irish, but the distinction doesn't really matter. A thief is a thief, regardless of nationality or skin color.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:52 PM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
Gibsonton Florida "carny town".

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...own-in-america

Old 06-11-2017, 11:45 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Sorry to resurrect a dormant thread but i can think of some states that are insular.
I would add New Mexico to your list. Although there are thousands of newcomers here from other states it is rare that native-born people move to or even visit outside the state. Part of that is the exceptionally strong and somewhat extended family ties here. That is a strength but it sometimes limits opportunities. We have a local saying that New Mexico is known as the Land of Entrapment because once you are committed to the place you probably won't leave. And if you do, you will probably be back.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:16 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
NON-SCARY
- The Cajun culture in the Acadiana region of South Louisiana are very distinct though there are interesting parallels to isolated Appalachian communities. They have their own unique French dialect and cuisine and music that is separate from French culture but also very different from mainstream America.

- Native Hawaiian communities in Hawaii

- Miami Cubans are very insular in their mindset and are not open to interacting with other groups though they are not "scary" or a threat. However they are clear in their dominance of Miami and their rejection of American culture and others are forced to assimilate into the Cuban culture and Spanish language if they are to be successful in Miami

- Rio Grande Valley Mexicans are also very unassimilated into American culture but their Mexican culture isn't scary (still better than Mexico itself). I hear that is also a very insular minded area where non-Mexicans are not accepted or welcomed and where white and black Americans face much hostility and discrimination

- Italian American communities in the Northeast where ethnic identity is still key and marrying outside the Italian community is frowned upon, think the Jersey Shore scene for example

SCARY
- The unassimilated Arab Muslim population in Dearborn, Michigan which still practices arranged marriages (sometimes between cousins) and follows Arab Muslim culture very closely rather than be open to American influences

Old 06-12-2017, 08:22 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
The Rainbow Children are a loosely affiliated group of hippies, at least a few thousand strong, who travel across the USA. There are at least a couple of Rainbow communes in the Southwest -- my friend lived in one in New Mexico where they lived in holes dug out of the ground. A very fascinating group -- some are "weekend hippies", others are third and fourth generation hippies! They have their own specialized vocabulary ("six up" is code for cops, for example). One of the best times of my life was spent camping with the Rainbow Children in WV.
Those are called "Earth ships"; they're entire homes that are semi-subterranean, with the south side above ground open to the sun, to catch the heat in winter. The earthen walls act as insulation. There are several in the hills outside of Taos, NM, and they're not just for hippies or cultists. (The Rainbow Children are/were a cult.)

Old 06-12-2017, 08:37 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
I went past the Earth Ship community west of Taos on Saturday-- very impressive. I wonder if there are tours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.