Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 08:59 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
@Mutiny77 - Actually in the case of Texas the main reason (at least to me) that it's becoming less "red" is the high number of Hispanics (who lean more "blue" than the general population).
That's part of it, but Arizona is still pretty red and it's getting a lot of Hispanic immigrants also. Nevertheless, Hispanics are still part of the Sunbelt migration phenomenon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 09:01 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
The political effect of migrants depends a lot upon the existing makeup of the voters in the state. Transplants are actually making South Carolina a bit more conservative, for example. Basically in that case the median voter moving there is actually a bit to the left of the median South Carolina white voter, but the transplants are overwhelmingly white, which means the black share of the electorate is dropping, which means the change more than cancels out.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:56 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The political effect of migrants depends a lot upon the existing makeup of the voters in the state. Transplants are actually making South Carolina a bit more conservative, for example. Basically in that case the median voter moving there is actually a bit to the left of the median South Carolina white voter, but the transplants are overwhelmingly white, which means the black share of the electorate is dropping, which means the change more than cancels out.
I'd have to look at past voting records in totality, but I can see this to an extent. More accurately, I think SC is becoming a little more libertarian.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:21 AM

101 posts, read 93,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
IMO, I would rather deal with an Upper Midwest winter than a Deep South summer.

If there is anything I hate with a passion, it's sweating profusely and having to hydrate myself constantly...taking a shower if you're going to be out for long periods in extreme heat and humidity is almost pointless as well. Being a hairy man like myself who sweats easily only makes things worse where this is concerned.
I agree.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:26 AM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I really dont see Chicago as a 'rust belt' city. Its far too large and diversified to be in that category.
Why? Nobody says Birmingham or New Orleans aren’t Sunbelt cities because they are growing slowly (or not at all)

The Rust belt exists because it’s the inland Northeast and the Midwest, just as the Subent is the term for the Southern tier of the country even though Raleigh and Phoenix are in different regions.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:32 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
IMO, I would rather deal with an Upper Midwest winter than a Deep South summer.

If there is anything I hate with a passion, it's sweating profusely and having to hydrate myself constantly...taking a shower if you're going to be out for long periods in extreme heat and humidity is almost pointless as well. Being a hairy man like myself who sweats easily only makes things worse where this is concerned.
I think it’s just about what you are used to. I grew up with air conditioning and outdoor pools and I knew how to use them and therefore never minded humidity. Then again I don’t have an outdoor job. But snow that doesn’t melt in 24-hours is not my idea of fun, and neither is bundling up in layers. Maybe if I’d grown up that way, I’d see things differently.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:20 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Why? Nobody says Birmingham or New Orleans aren’t Sunbelt cities because they are growing slowly (or not at all)

The Rust belt exists because it’s the inland Northeast and the Midwest, just as the Subent is the term for the Southern tier of the country even though Raleigh and Phoenix are in different regions.
People do say that Birmingham and New Orleans are not part of the Sunbelt for those reasons. Georgia and South Carolina are the only Deep South states with parts in the Sunbelt

Old 02-17-2019, 01:02 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Sunbelt obviously has better weather and a nicer economy. Some cons are that a lot of the new developments are very plastic, generic and cookie cutter and traditional Southern culture is being heavily diluted. Some Rust Belt states actually have very traditional, tight knit communities with their own unique character.

I actually prefer the non-Sunbelt South where you have a mix of both worlds - nice weather, traditional culture and values and a low cost of living.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:40 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Interesting thread. Throwing politics out the window on this one, lol.

Rust Belt Pros: Great, hard working people. Good cost of living. Nice architecture. Solid neighborhoods than have been around for generations. Cons: Struggling economies. Harsh, cloudy winters.

Sun Belt Pros: Climate I prefer. Sunny. Strong economies. Generally good cost of living/great Purchasing Power. Clean/green/flowering, genuinely nice people, great outdoor activities and natural beauty. Cons: Larger cities aren't very good at preserving architectural history, summers can be harsh in some areas, tropical storms on coastal areas.

I would much rather live in the Sun Belt for the above reasons. I lived in Ohio for a year and visit often. I live in NC. Love both, but love living in the Sunbelt. Prefer it over any region.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:30 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Pretty simple for me. I dislike hot weather intensely. I just moved to Lakewood, Ohio four years ago from Portland, OR, another overcast city, so I obviously prefer the Rustbelt weather wise.

Weather aside, I've been to Sunbelt cities and for me they're nice vacation spots but I like living where I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.