Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 03:43 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,096,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
LOL! You obviously don't know much about industry in cities like Houston, Miami, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Jacksonville, L.A., Raleigh, and other large sunbelt cities. Even smaller cities like Chattanooga, Birmingham, Charleson, Winston-Salem, Richmond, etc. have massive industry and diversified economies. You should learn something before you try to speak.
I agree. No major city in the South right now is experiencing the kind of massive decay that cities like Detroit are experiencing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 03:47 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,327 times
Most seem to be saying that the Sunbelt encompasses Southern CA all the way to Florida and up to NC or VA? That's way too large and diverse an area to lump together, even if you're only implying cities and excluding the rural surrounding areas.

Living in South Carolina compared to life in New Mexico, for instance, is going to feel vastly different, because obviously they're unlike each other in weather, culture, scenery, and so on. No one's going to say, "Well Charlotte or El Paso, doesn't matter which as long as I'm in the Sun Belt." The name "Sun Belt" is applied to the area generally from people outside of it, whereas, from my perspective, from Buffalo to Milwaukee, there seems to be a shared identity. Put another way, things are pretty similar throughout the Rust Belt. Throughout that region weather, scenery, and customs have a lot in common. I know there's differences between Rust Belt states, but they're not as great as the contrasts in the so-called Sun Belt.

Comparing the economies of the two regions is largely useless for most, because it's a preference, based on what you're used to or seems the most normal. Most Americans don't just move so they can live in a red or blue state as every state is inhabited with millions of people of all political (or apolitical) outlooks. There are millions of democrats in the Sun Belt just like there are far right militias in Michigan. Theres too many people to boil us down to red and blue.

As someone stated earlier, they "don't want christmas with cactuses or no snow" (paraphrasing). Myself, I'll take the cactuses (I don't say cacti) and skip the snow because that's where I'm from and sleds and snowmen just depress the crap out of me. That's all it comes down to. I'm tired of being told that my home lacks culture, history, or architecture, like I'm supposed to just all of a sudden say, "Gee, you're right. I'll just drop my hometown, family and friends, and this place I love so I can attend museums and plays all day in Chicago!" Unfortunately, that's an arrogant attitude you often see on CD from the urban north. There's no lacking of culture and history either, they're just not the conventional American mainstream dictated by the East, and I would include the Southeast, they're often ignored or ridiculed too.

Lastly, we're not going to "run out of water" in the Southwest. I'm not sure if some of these people posting that have been watching the Mad Max movies a lot or if it's just that by growing up near a Great Lake it's inconceivable that people could live in a dry place. It's not one day going to just disappear and then everyone in Arizona is just going to die of thirst two days later. That's a little far-fetched, but it seems like some people believe that.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:06 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Most seem to be saying that the Sunbelt encompasses Southern CA all the way to Florida and up to NC or VA? That's way too large and diverse an area to lump together, even if you're only implying cities and excluding the rural surrounding areas.

Living in South Carolina compared to life in New Mexico, for instance, is going to feel vastly different, because obviously they're unlike each other in weather, culture, scenery, and so on. No one's going to say, "Well Charlotte or El Paso, doesn't matter which as long as I'm in the Sun Belt." The name "Sun Belt" is applied to the area generally from people outside of it, whereas, from my perspective, from Buffalo to Milwaukee, there seems to be a shared identity. Put another way, things are pretty similar throughout the Rust Belt. Throughout that region weather, scenery, and customs have a lot in common. I know there's differences between Rust Belt states, but they're not as great as the contrasts in the so-called Sun Belt.

Comparing the economies of the two regions is largely useless for most, because it's a preference, based on what you're used to or seems the most normal. Most Americans don't just move so they can live in a red or blue state as every state is inhabited with millions of people of all political (or apolitical) outlooks. There are millions of democrats in the Sun Belt just like there are far right militias in Michigan. Theres too many people to boil us down to red and blue.

As someone stated earlier, they "don't want christmas with cactuses or no snow" (paraphrasing). Myself, I'll take the cactuses (I don't say cacti) and skip the snow because that's where I'm from and sleds and snowmen just depress the crap out of me. That's all it comes down to. I'm tired of being told that my home lacks culture, history, or architecture, like I'm supposed to just all of a sudden say, "Gee, you're right. I'll just drop my hometown, family and friends, and this place I love so I can attend museums and plays all day in Chicago!" Unfortunately, that's an arrogant attitude you often see on CD from the urban north. There's no lacking of culture and history either, they're just not the conventional American mainstream dictated by the East, and I would include the Southeast, they're often ignored or ridiculed too.

Lastly, we're not going to "run out of water" in the Southwest. I'm not sure if some of these people posting that have been watching the Mad Max movies a lot or if it's just that by growing up near a Great Lake it's inconceivable that people could live in a dry place. It's not one day going to just disappear and then everyone in Arizona is just going to die of thirst two days later. That's a little far-fetched, but it seems like some people believe that.
When I moved to the Southwest, it was refreshing--no one gave a dam* what you did, where you had lived before or who you knew (no one knew anyone anyhow). In my neighborhood, we had a doc, podiatrist, city planner, mailman, etc. No one wore anything on their sleeve, so to speak. I really liked that.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:16 AM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,834 times
Pros of rust belt:Closer to the northeast, walkable neighborhoods, desnity, amazing architecture, near the great lakes, history, more attractions, making a comeback, we have no water issues, the ozarks (for st.louis), Appalachian (for pittsburgh), forest, great suburbs, diversity.

Cons of rust belt: Maybe less jobs, MAYBE

Pros of sun belt: Weather is semi-better, Companies moving there so jobs, good infrastutrce.

Cons of sun belt: No attractions, No walking allowed, water issues, not enough history, weather can be unbearable at certain times, architecture is lazy and old there is considered anything from 1980 + )

Old 09-03-2012, 07:14 AM

130 posts, read 166,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
Very true. For the first time in 15 years of bouncing back between the two, Michigan and Florida, I can say it's easier to get a job in MI right now.

There are actually far more jobs in Florida and the economy there is far more diverse than that of most Rust belt states. Florida also has a lot more manufacturing than it gets credit for having. Michigan, on the other hand is experiencing a dead cat bounce, at best which it wouldn't even have absent Obama bailing out the auto sector to please the UAW.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:22 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post

I'm not sure about the water issue. When I say I'm not sure, I mean that. I haven't Googled, or done research. I do have a friend from New Mexico, though, who said there's an area near Albuquerque that has severe lack of water issues. I'll have to ask him the name of the area...he knows, he lived there.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:28 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurb View Post
There are actually far more jobs in Florida and the economy there is far more diverse than that of most Rust belt states. Florida also has a lot more manufacturing than it gets credit for having. Michigan, on the other hand is experiencing a dead cat bounce, at best which it wouldn't even have absent Obama bailing out the auto sector to please the UAW.
You might want to check your stats before making such statements.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:39 AM

93,302 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
When I moved to the Southwest, it was refreshing--no one gave a dam* what you did, where you had lived before or who you knew (no one knew anyone anyhow). In my neighborhood, we had a doc, podiatrist, city planner, mailman, etc. No one wore anything on their sleeve, so to speak. I really liked that.
No one cares in much of the Northeast or "Rust Belt" either. I live in a working/middle class suburban neighborhood that has people of various age and occupational ranges. No one cares and people say "Hi!" and talk to each other as well. So, it depends and will vary.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You might want to check your stats before making such statements.
It's simple: Florida is doing fine without the bailouts that disproportionately benefited states in the Rust Belt. As the effects of that temporary boost wear off(and they're starting to), The Sun Belt will regain its competitive advantage, in addition to the non-economic advantages it already has.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No one cares in much of the Northeast or "Rust Belt" either. I live in a working/middle class suburban neighborhood that has people of various age and occupational ranges. No one cares and people say "Hi!" and talk to each other as well. So, it depends and will vary.
You must not have spent much or any time in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.