Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 07:10 PM

21 posts, read 60,936 times

Advertisements

Well, I am moving back to the East coast, attempt number 3. I have tried to live in NYC twice and failed mainly because of lack of a financial buffer.

I've been intent on this for years now and I have some reasons why.

I was born in Seattle, lived there for years. Spent a lot of time in Portland, lived in the Bay twice, and LA/SD for quite a few years.

I find the culture and people so fake. I don't like cutesy small talk, excessive 'thank you's' etc. When I order a coffee, i want to give you money for that coffee lets keep this transaction simple and not make it out to be more than it is: business.

Money is the name of the game in all aspects of our society, and it mediates all interactions and transactions.

This is a central reason why I prefer the East coast. People out there understand power more. They have a grasp on the hierarchies in life. On the West coast people seem to live on a giant hippie commune where they have this new age delusion about the 'law of attraction' and abundance.

when it comes down to it the East rules with power not only the West, but the world. DC and NYC are the power centers of the entire world.

Dont get me wrong, I wish we lived in a peaceful world where we could always smile and mean it. But we don't. The world is ruled by the men with the biggest...guns. Might makes right. I think new Yorkers understand this at least on a sub conscious level. They seem more in tune with the grind of daily life. More cynical and realistic.

Westerners say things like 'everyone seems depressed and angry' on the East coast but I think that's because they are simply more aware of how life works. The have's and the have not's. New Yorkers know how to hustle.

I like the west coast metaphysicality, the sit on the beach and meditate on the cosmos ability of many out West to see a bigger picture. But that can take one out of the pressing realities. maybe this delusive mentality is part of why Californians are bending over while their state government shafts them, raising taxes and cutting services like Greece (same climate...funny).

Most people don't understand just how much of an impact the 60's had on California and the PNW in turn. It changed everything. Everyone out here save for those in the central valley, San Diego, and Orange County think they are going to recycle away the world's problems while they drive a prius up the 101 into the sunset.

I understand that innovation is stronger in the west and I can see why. people here have ideas. Most of them are ****, but some of these ideas are genius and hence Silicon valley. But the fact of the matter remains that everyone out here answers to the bankers in NY and the politicians in DC. It's those guys who everyone in the entire world basically answers to.

People in the East don't bull****. They keep it real. I appreciate this. No kowtowing to anyone unless you absolutely have to because they rule you. we all answer to someone. Somehow, the West coast manages to ignore this glaring reality.

I think part of it stems from how historically the west was a land of promises and abundant resources. Lumber, gold, fish, farm land (central valley provides most of the produce available in any store in the U.S.). Abundance makes us dull, clouds our minds. Gives us false grandeur. Softens us to the struggles outside our bubbles.

Anyways, just thought I would share. Hopefully this time I don't have to come back, but get to do my tour of duty in NYC. Aspects of it I will hate. Being from the PNW I like my quiet. i like walking down the street and seeing no one, hearing the birds. Being in a park and seeing no one, meditating on nature.

But it's time to graduate from the fiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 09:48 PM

18,826 posts, read 13,710,549 times
Uh... Okay I guess?

Old 06-10-2012, 01:20 AM

244 posts, read 589,840 times
you should get out of the states for a bit...if you haven't already

Old 06-10-2012, 01:37 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,844,762 times
Pretty provincial pov in my opinion. BTW, DC and NY are amongst the centers of power in the world, but hardly the only ones. You really need to see the rest of the world more, there's more to the world than just the US.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:36 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,144,030 times
LA and San Francisco are also huge power centers of the world. LA pretty much rules the media. SF and its Bay Area rule with technology. Just because everyone isn't as cold and stressed as you doesn't mean they are inferior. I feel sorry for you if you can't trust that the baristas, or whoever else you interacted with, were genuinely trying to be nice and you thought they were manipulating you for money.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:07 AM

71 posts, read 112,777 times
Yea... leave the westcoast ASAP. Good luck eastcoast.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:13 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
LA and San Francisco are also huge power centers of the world. LA pretty much rules the media. SF and its Bay Area rule with technology. Just because everyone isn't as cold and stressed as you doesn't mean they are inferior. I feel sorry for you if you can't trust that the baristas, or whoever else you interacted with, were genuinely trying to be nice and you thought they were manipulating you for money.
lol

Old 10-17-2013, 12:48 PM

7,704 posts, read 12,538,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landgabriel View Post
Anyways, just thought I would share. Hopefully this time I don't have to come back, but get to do my tour of duty in NYC. Aspects of it I will hate. Being from the PNW I like my quiet. i like walking down the street and seeing no one, hearing the birds. Being in a park and seeing no one, meditating on nature.
But it's time to graduate from the fiction.
If that's what you like, Connecticut or Vermont would be more suited to your liking than NYC. Also, I agree with everything you said except for one thing. Californians have got one thing right. And that's seeing the bigger picture. The law of attraction/positive thinking - whatever you want to call it is on the money. But what makes the difference and what it's really about is the law of reciprocity. When you donate at least 10% of your income to either a charity or a church or anything that helps humanity out in any way, life will reward you and double back what you have given. It's really God who does it but I'm not trying to preach. So I would just advise you to try it before you knock it. It works. I've done it.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:11 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,524,718 times
A "nuanced perspective" is not a series of disjointed, trite generalizations. It's just lame.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:32 PM

312 posts, read 491,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Who rules the combination of both? (video games, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.