Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 08:31 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,394,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Proto-Italo-Celtic is just a hypothesis. It could be true that it once existed, but it has not been proven. Either way, Celts are not a subset of Italics today.
With the rise of genetic testing it's becoming even more clear Italics and Celts are very closely related. You don't get that high of a concentration of S28 in Italy and Switzerland/southern Germany without there being a close relationship.

Quote:
Maybe not all Italians. Or perhaps some more than others. Goes down to Campania, at least. But people move around, you know. Meta-ethnically, on a certain level, I identify with the three principal components of modern Italians: Italics, Etruscans, and Greeks.

Not talking about genetic closeness, per se. Rather, ancestry.
Literally a tiny sliver goes down to Campania.

Genetic closeness is important. Northern Italians are closer to the French than southern Italians period.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 12-01-2016 at 09:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 09:14 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,394,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Not sure why any of you are entertaining this guy, who says Italian Americans are living in the past while he references the Mayflower (lol).
I was talking about how I focus on my family tree rather than base my heritage around another region of a country. Italy is the most genetically polarized country in western Europe. It could literally be split into 2 or 3 countries. If Sicilian Americans want to take pride in Sicily I'm down with that. But when they start talking about Christopher Columbus I'm like whoa.

Quote:
The fact is NO ethnic group is "setting trends" in 2016, not even black Americans who up to this point had white suburban kids emulating them (minus the pesky profiling); the divisions and influences these days are mostly political and financial, with ethnicity taking more of a backseat than it ever has (culturally speaking).
It isn't exclusively Anglo Whites setting White trends but Anglos are still the driving force among Whites. Cali is still heavily Anglo and California is a trend setter.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 12-01-2016 at 09:58 AM..

Old 12-01-2016, 03:11 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
It isn't exclusively Anglo Whites setting White trends but Anglos are still the driving force among Whites. Cali is still heavily Anglo and California is a trend setter.
California isn't that heavily Anglo, at least not in its metros.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:48 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,170 times
The only Anglo-Celtic areas ( i.e.: similiar to Australia and Britain) in the US are the Southern States. California, Florida would be Hispanic, the North East Italian, Irish and Jewish, MidWest German and Scandanavisn. Italian culture is linked to New York and Philly

Old 12-03-2016, 06:24 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
With the rise of genetic testing it's becoming even more clear Italics and Celts are very closely related.
"Close" is a relative term. In a sense, all Europeans are closely related to one another. That certainly doesn't make us all the same. Well, in some ways, Europeans can be thought of collectively - but in many other ways, definitely not.

Quote:
Genetic closeness is important. Northern Italians are closer to the French than southern Italians period.
Nations aren't formed on the basis of genetic closeness, per se. It's more about tribal, cultural & linguistic commonalities. Genetic testing is a relatively new thing, and it still has plenty of inherent flaws. But even with genetic testing, you're not going to automatically feel close to someone who plots very close to you on a PCA chart... as I demonstrated previously, such an occurrence does not exclude the possibility that the two individuals (or two separate populations) could still have very different identities, ancestries, and histories.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:53 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
https://www.cairn.info/revue-francai...-2-page-89.htm

Very interesting article re the history & development of an Italian-American ethnic identity. Bit of a long read, but well worth it.

I do indeed think that the Italian-American identity is an entity of its own. It's not reducible to either Italianism or Americanism alone. In the cases of many other ethnic groups in America, I think there is less of a distinct culture that's not simply a hybrid of two different ones.

Italian-Americans have contributed immensely to American culture, so in many ways some Italian elements were simply incorporated into mainstream American culture and have helped mold America into what it is today. This is also certainly true of regional American cultures - especially here in the Northeast. Just like how German immigrants have infused their own ancestral cultural elements into the places in America that they've settled, especially in regions such as the Upper Midwest. Italians have done that here. Some of our most distinct regional foods are Italian-American. Here in the Philadelphia area, that includes cheesesteaks, hoagies (aka subs), and water ice (aka Italian ice). No one would naturally associate these food items with Italy; however, those items ARE rightfully associated with Italian-Americans.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:03 PM

992 posts, read 875,568 times
I find this thread interesting because out west, there are very, very few people of European descent from a specific nationality--everyone is such a mishmash of different ethnicities that they're all just white. There are no Italian or Irish or German or.... enclaves out here.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:57 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
I find this thread interesting because out west, there are very, very few people of European descent from a specific nationality--everyone is such a mishmash of different ethnicities that they're all just white. There are no Italian or Irish or German or.... enclaves out here.
Those enclaves don't really exist anymore--they were a product of European immigration from the mid-19th century into the early 20th century, and most of their descendents left their old city neighborhoods in the US after WW2, with the growth of suburban America. All the Little Poland or Little Italy neighborhoods are largely extinct now, especially in terms of ancestral residents ( the restaurants may linger, though)...

Old 03-26-2017, 03:36 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Those enclaves don't really exist anymore--they were a product of European immigration from the mid-19th century into the early 20th century, and most of their descendents left their old city neighborhoods in the US after WW2, with the growth of suburban America. All the Little Poland or Little Italy neighborhoods are largely extinct now, especially in terms of ancestral residents ( the restaurants may linger, though)...
Except Belmont and Central in Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.