Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 03:28 PM

350 posts, read 740,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
not saying Omaha is a farm town. just farming has more of an impact in Omaha. Regardless i know about Greedy Buffet.
They call him the Oracle of Omaha but in all honesty the way buffet got his money is shady and he really is more like the Embarassment of Omaha.
but atleast he can give his money to obama and call for the Buffet rule lol what a hypocrite.
And how does Warren Buffett represent the typical Omahan? Nebraska is one of the most conservative states in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 04:45 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrippleguy View Post
not saying omaha is a farm town. Just farming has more of an impact in omaha. Regardless i know about greedy buffet.
They call him the oracle of omaha but in all honesty the way buffet got his money is shady and he really is more like the embarassment of omaha.
But atleast he can give his money to obama and call for the buffet rule lol what a hypocrite.
lmao

Old 06-13-2012, 06:35 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
And how does Warren Buffett represent the typical Omahan? Nebraska is one of the most conservative states in the nation.
Ask anyone on Wall Street or anywhere outside of the Great Plains states when they think of Omaha what person comes to mind. Im sure quite a few will say Warren Buffet.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:52 PM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
296 posts, read 438,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayscott View Post
My extended family (me, mother, two brothers, each with their own households) has been recently discussing a large move. I'm currently in CA (Orange County) but plan on leaving to find better schools and rational cost of living. Mom and one brother are in the Kansas City area (where we all grew up), but are talking about moving...Mom for retirement, brother for better job opportunities. Other brother is in Indianapolis and talking about moving for better work. We'd all like to be in the same area so that we can better help each other with our young children.

We suck, however, at making decisions and are stuck in analysis paralysis. We've thrown around probably 20 different cities hoping that something stood out for everyone. Our top contenders:

- KC ("the devil you know")
- Omaha
- Cincinnati
- Tampa

We know what life is like in the KC area, but can anyone compare it to the other two areas? I'm less concerned about cost of living (all of them beat out Orange County!) but am looking for awesome schools (son needs a gifted program) and good air transportation (I work with west coast clients). Tampa is on the list because my ex-wife lives there and it would make it much easier for my son to spend time with his mom, plus a good retirement environment for my mom.
Personally, I would steer very clear of Tampa. Economic fragility would be the biggest deterrent for me and Tampa. But if your mother is concerned about weather due to her retirement age, then I guess it wins by default. Additionally, you stated your ex-wife lives there. Sounds all very convenient for you. Main downside I see for you is travel distance from Tampa to your West Coast clients will be tougher.

Cincinnati is often mentioned as the city that is most similar to KC. So if you aren't satisfied with KC, im not sure if Cincy would be much of a change.

Omaha is apparently like a smaller version of KC (minus some demographic and geographic differences).

Old 06-15-2012, 07:56 PM

350 posts, read 740,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Ask anyone on Wall Street or anywhere outside of the Great Plains states when they think of Omaha what person comes to mind. Im sure quite a few will say Warren Buffet.
Probably and some people probably think that in Nebraska we still ride in covered wagons, build sod homes, and that the state is as flat as a pancake. It is amazing how small-minded people can be when they haven't traveled or gotten out of their own state or part of the country and associate one part or person from a particular state with that whole state entirely. The stereotypes run both directions. Some people can be as provincial as to stereotype the next town or even the next block.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:05 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Probably and some people probably think that in Nebraska we still ride in covered wagons, build sod homes, and that the state is as flat as a pancake. It is amazing how small-minded people can be when they haven't traveled or gotten out of their own state or part of the country and associate one part or person from a particular state with that whole state entirely. The stereotypes run both directions. Some people can be as provincial as to stereotype the next town or even the next block.
Well NYC is known for having a superiority index over the rest of the country.
the US ends outside of New York City...........
New Yorkers aside from the wealthy have to be some of the most miserable and trapped people you can think of. Heck do many New Yorkers even vacation?

I would rather trade off the hectic hippy culture in NYC for a place like Indianapolis where i can slow down a little bit and cut my cost of living in half and my housing cost by 75% and taxes in half too.
Use the money saved up and vacation around the world to places like NYC/London/Paris/Tokyo etc.

Now thats a better choice

Old 06-25-2012, 10:35 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,315 times
1. Cincinnati
2. Kansas City
3. Tampa
4. Omaha

Old 06-25-2012, 10:54 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Nebraska has also received one of the highest amounts of agricultural subsidies than most states.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:27 PM

218 posts, read 462,592 times
I know the cities you already know well through family--KC and Indy--because I live in Indy now and KC in previous years. Their economies are pretty similar. KC probably has more flying options, though Indy has a nicer airport.

Based on your criteria, I wouldn't rate Cincinnati as highly as some. Sure, it has some good (probably better) cultural options than most of the other places, but the economy has long been sort of sputtering along: not as bad as most other cities in Ohio, but nothing great. And, as for air travel, Cincy is notorious for being one of the most expensive cities for flying in the country--I guess having a hub and not a lot of competition really hurt it. Lots of flying options (including to the west, but at a huge cost). People in Cincinnati routinely fly out of Dayton, Lexington, Louisville, Columbus, or Indianapolis just to save a fair chunk of money.

I don't know much at all about Tampa, but on average Florida schools don't rate as highly as Midwestern States. Being coastal, Tampa would almost definitely have a higher cost of living than the other places. Not great for west coast travel either, since Orlando and Miami are much more prominent Florida airports. Really, I don't see any advantages to Tampa, though I've heard good things about the schools in Sarasota/Bradenton not so far away.

Regarding education again, Nebraska in particular usually rates highly by national standards, and I'd think your batting average in Omaha would be better than the other places. But it's a smaller city and probably doesn't fly to very many places. Ultimately, KC probably isn't the best in any option, but it certainly is far from the worst in any of your standards as well, so it might ultimately be the wisest decision.

Here's my vote:
1. Kansas City
2. Omaha
3. Cincinnati
4. Tampa

Old 06-26-2012, 07:55 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,037 times
Sputtering along? lol The Cincinnati metro added 20k+ jobs the past year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.