Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 08:49 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

Is it just me, or has there been far too much of a competitive nature as of late on this forum? "My city is better than your city." "Your city can bite my city's dust." "Nobody likes your city." "My city's ego is so large because everyone likes it." Yada, yada, yada.

I'm guilty of this myself, getting into some hot water on another thread for claiming that Pittsburgh had a nicer skyline than Houston, but overall this is a trend on City-Data I'd like to see reversed. Why can't we just appreciate each and every city in America for its differences? Phoenix isn't any better than Buffalo due to the climate changes, nor is Seattle any better than Mobile for their disparities in literacy. EVERY city in America has someone who loves them and appreciates them, even downtrodden ones like Gary, Newark, Camden, Scranton, East St. Louis, etc.

Can we PLEASE stop with these repetitive "Which city is better than which city?" threads? All they seem to result in is endless bickering, and let's face it---you're never going to change anyone's minds about where they live.

P.S. Scranton is better than Boulder! (Just kidding!!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 08:57 PM

214 posts, read 241,762 times
Agreed. It is just always going to happen that people stick up to their home cities. I was guilty of that houston argument too. Although, when somebody comes on and says that Pittsburgh's skyline has no architectural appeal I tend to get a little defensive. I think people should open there mind up a little on this forum.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:01 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,863 times
The problem is that the US has a lot of cities. And a lot of people living in these cities. It's the home turf mentality. Someone from San Diego wouldn't be made to appreciate a city like Newark or even Miami, etc.
HOWEVER-
Ragging on someone else's home city is a different story. There's rivalry, and then there's just blatant insults (the latter being displayed all over the General US threads).
-I think it starts out by just being good 'ole rivalry (my city has more 'this' than yours) but then it spirals into an all-out war of insults...Why this happens is anyone's guess but I don't see the competition ending anytime soon.

ps: It wouldn't even be all that bad if people could keep the wild stuff to a minimum: 'throw up your set and yadda yadda'

Old 09-24-2007, 09:12 PM

214 posts, read 241,762 times
One thing I always found funny in this forum also is, Say something nice and you get maybe one response. Say something bad about a city and you get 25 responses. I post on the Denver forum. I leave my personal opinions like I should be allowed. If I talk about the urban sprawl and blandness of the neighborhoods there, I get a lot of feedback. If you post about how great and nice the land is outside of Denver and how fun it was living there for that reason, you get no responses.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:14 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJimmy View Post
One thing I always found funny in this forum also is, Say something nice and you get maybe one response. Say something bad about a city and you get 25 responses. I post on the Denver forum. I leave my personal opinions like I should be allowed. If I talk about the urban sprawl and blandness of the neighborhoods there, I get a lot of feedback. If you post about how great and nice the land is outside of Denver and how fun it was living there for that reason, you get no responses.
I notice the same thing on the Scranton forum. I posted a great thread about a historic home tour (with dozens of photos) which received no replies. Another thread about new loft apartments coming to the downtown area is likewise "cold." However, if you post one thing negative it attracts all of the attention. Have we become a nation that seeks controversy and conflict just for the sheer hell of it?

Old 09-24-2007, 09:18 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I notice the same thing on the Scranton forum. I posted a great thread about a historic home tour (with dozens of photos) which received no replies. Another thread about new loft apartments coming to the downtown area is likewise "cold." However, if you post one thing negative it attracts all of the attention. Have we become a nation that seeks controversy and conflict just for the sheer hell of it?
I think it's in the name of defense. People have a lot of hometown pride. It's hard for me to defend my place of origin but when someone says something about your spot: 'no don't go to that place, every single square-inch is hood', I tend to want to say something because I know what they're saying just isn't the case. BUT-one thing I don't do is rag, I don't rag on people's hometown...unless forced lol

Old 09-24-2007, 09:26 PM

63 posts, read 259,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Is it just me, or has there been far too much of a competitive nature as of late on this forum? "My city is better than your city." "Your city can bite my city's dust." "Nobody likes your city." "My city's ego is so large because everyone likes it." Yada, yada, yada.

I'm guilty of this myself, getting into some hot water on another thread for claiming that Pittsburgh had a nicer skyline than Houston, but overall this is a trend on City-Data I'd like to see reversed. Why can't we just appreciate each and every city in America for its differences? Phoenix isn't any better than Buffalo due to the climate changes, nor is Seattle any better than Mobile for their disparities in literacy. EVERY city in America has someone who loves them and appreciates them, even downtrodden ones like Gary, Newark, Camden, Scranton, East St. Louis, etc.

Can we PLEASE stop with these repetitive "Which city is better than which city?" threads? All they seem to result in is endless bickering, and let's face it---you're never going to change anyone's minds about where they live.

P.S. Scranton is better than Boulder! (Just kidding!!!)
Most every city has its charms, North, South, West, Midwest, Southwest, whatever. Even if mine is better (also kidding; PUHleeze, we have, like, the second highest murder rate in the US? Baltimore is lovely - I just moved into the city from the county - but it certainly has its problems).

Old 09-24-2007, 09:36 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,215 times
I think alot of the bickering stems from the fact that most everyone on this forum enjoys a little debate. I myself love a good debate, but certainly don't enjoy bickering. I have never understood the point of going onto a particular forum and posting purposefully distracting, negative comments. These individuals are typically just trolling to get a rise out of everyone else. It's best to just ignore them.

I agree ScrantonWilkesBarre: it would be nice if everyone could just get along. We all need to remember that we are all different, and we all like different things. One person may love the 24/7 fast paced urban lifestyle while another person may love living in the suburbs, or even a quiet small town. Variety is the spice of life. I'm glad we're not all the same.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:50 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,732 times
I am guilty of it as well. I'm turning over a new leave. I love where I live so much, but others love where they live too - for there own reasons. I guess all that really matters is that you love where you live.

There are pluses and drawbacks to every where you live. That is the truth. And what is a drawback to me, might be a plus for someone else. And, what may be a plus to me, is a drawback to someone else.

Beone ain't gonna be no bone-head no more!

Old 09-24-2007, 09:51 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJimmy View Post
Agreed. It is just always going to happen that people stick up to their home cities. I was guilty of that houston argument too. Although, when somebody comes on and says that Pittsburgh's skyline has no architectural appeal I tend to get a little defensive. I think people should open there mind up a little on this forum.
Pittsburgh is beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.