Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 08:15 PM

38 posts, read 28,231 times

Advertisements

My wife and I live in a suburb of Denver. We have the unique opportunity to go to either Boise, Idaho, or Bloomington, Indiana. Bloomington is in Southern, Idaho. We are both from the Chicago area (far flung suburbs), but family is not a reason for choosing either place. Mainly we are looking at quality of life. We like recreation, but neither of us are especially turned on by mountains. Canoes, and bicycle riding, and stuff like that is more our speed. I have been researching the two areas for about a week. Then somebody told me about this web site. So I thought I would reach out and see if anybody is wiling to share their thoughts on what it might be like living in one over the other, etc. We are in our 50s and will be working from home, mainly. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 02:40 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,406,352 times
Boise

Old 06-03-2019, 05:15 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Bloomington in my opinion. Much less isolated, a quintessential college town with a lot going on all the time, great walkability in town, it's a biking mecca with lots of places to ride, canoeing on massive Lake Monroe, hiking in the nearby state forests and it's much more green where Boise can come across as kind of brown/arid.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:53 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDScoop View Post
My wife and I live in a suburb of Denver. We have the unique opportunity to go to either Boise, Idaho, or Bloomington, Indiana. Bloomington is in Southern, Idaho. We are both from the Chicago area (far flung suburbs), but family is not a reason for choosing either place. Mainly we are looking at quality of life. We like recreation, but neither of us are especially turned on by mountains. Canoes, and bicycle riding, and stuff like that is more our speed. I have been researching the two areas for about a week. Then somebody told me about this web site. So I thought I would reach out and see if anybody is wiling to share their thoughts on what it might be like living in one over the other, etc. We are in our 50s and will be working from home, mainly. Thank you.
No it's not .

Personally, I prefer Bloomington. They're both nice towns in politically scary (to me) states.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:58 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,050 times
Having spent a ton of time in Bloomington, I personally think it's great. Lake Monroe is an awesome lake, Brown County in general is really neat and has a lot of cool shops, downtown, etc... Also, Indianapolis is within a short drive, as is Louisville, KY if you feel like exploring someplace else.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:04 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Bloomington in my opinion. Much less isolated, a quintessential college town with a lot going on all the time, great walkability in town, it's a biking mecca with lots of places to ride, canoeing on massive Lake Monroe, hiking in the nearby state forests and it's much more green where Boise can come across as kind of brown/arid.
Boise is a city with a university, with a lot going on, a vibrant and walkable downtown with adjacent historic neighborhoods and is a biking mecca including world class mountain biking. There are a lot of ponds in the city you can canoe on as well as the river that flows through the center of the city and is popular for rafting, fishing and canoeing.

The Boise National Forest that begins at the top of the Ridge above the city is one of the largest national forests in the nation. Boise is a green oasis with a great tree canopy in an arid valley (similar to much of the rest of the inland west), but is next to some of the largest contiguously forested areas in the west and then there is "the sea of mountains" which Boise is at the base of.

The Boise area has a tremendous variety in scenery from arid sage deserts with deep river canyons to lush alpine wilderness and snowcapped mountains.

The rest of the Treasure Valley (where Boise is located) is an irrigated agricultural area that is rather scenic during the growing season.

Quote:
So I thought I would reach out and see if anybody is wiling to share their thoughts on what it might be like living in one over the other, etc. We are in our 50s and will be working from home, mainly. Thank you.
Unless someone has actually lived in both cities you are only going to get opinions on experiences from those of us currently living in one of the cities. The best way to determine for yourself is to visit each and spend some time to check out the vibe of each city.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 06-03-2019 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-03-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

Thank you.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
No it's not .

Personally, I prefer Bloomington. They're both nice towns in politically scary (to me) states.

Yes, they're scary TO YOU. The rest of us are grown ass adults.

Last edited by CDScoop; 06-03-2019 at 11:12 PM..

Old 06-03-2019, 11:07 PM

[/quote]Unless someone has actually lived in both cities you are only going to get opinions on experiences from those of us currently living in one of the cities. The best way to determine for yourself is to visit each and spend some time to check out the vibe of each city.[/quote]

Everybody knows this.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:53 AM

345 posts, read 455,932 times
Quote:
Yes, they're scary TO YOU. The rest of us are grown ass adults.
Your response to this topic shows maybe you don’t have what it takes to discuss in a forum on an adult level.

Back to the topic: I haven’t been to Bloomington, I am sure it’s nice. Boise has fantastic bicycling and hiking with the Boise River Greenbelt and Ridges to Rivers trail system, all within the city. World class kayaking is also nearby, on the different forks of the Payette. However, House prices are skyrocketing so that is a minus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.