Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 02:26 PM

5 posts, read 6,998 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My boyfriend and I live in Delaware but really would like to move. We realize that securing a job before a move is important but we don't want to look anywhere we are not going to necessarily enjoy living in. We would like to try to stay in the Northeast and prefer a medium sized city. Jobs we'd be looking into would be Pharmacy Technician or Medical billing. We are not looking to as of right now buy but we do have pets so it would have to be a pet friendly place.

Other criteria are:

Culturally rich and vibrant
Nice and down to earth people
Charming
Environmentally conscious
Low Crime
Lots of recreational activities
Good transportation

Any helpful and serious feedback is greatly appreciated, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 02:37 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
The only cities in the Northeast with a real, comprehensive public transit system are NYC and Boston, which are large cities. Otherwise, you will need a car for most of your transportation needs. Smaller cities do have bus systems, if you don't mind that. And, unfortunately, nearly all medium sized cities in the Northeast have higher crime than you would want (i.e. Hartford, Bridgeport, Trenton, Albany, Providence, etc.). But if you live in a suburb of the city, there will be low crime for sure.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:42 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Regardless of what this person thinks ^^^ you don't need a car in Philly either.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:43 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The only cities in the Northeast with a real, comprehensive public transit system are NYC and Boston, which are large cities. Otherwise, you will need a car for most of your transportation needs. Smaller cities do have bus systems, if you don't mind that. And, unfortunately, nearly all medium sized cities in the Northeast have higher crime than you would want (i.e. Hartford, Bridgeport, Trenton, Albany, Providence, etc.). But if you live in a suburb of the city, there will be low crime for sure.
Philadelphia, and most would argue DC, are glaring omissions from that statement.

In terms of the OP, I would actually consider Pittsburgh. I'm not sure if you'd want to tend toward the coastal Northeast, but it really does fit all of your criteria (even for all of the issues that its transportation system is going through right now). Worcester, Massachusetts or Providence may be good options, as well.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:07 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
In terms of fulfilling all of your criteria (most notably charming, low crime and nice/down to earth people) you might look at Cleveland's inner ring suburb of Lakewood. It's a dense, walkable community on the shores of Lake Erie just west of Cleveland and an easy commute into most of Cleveland. The cost of living is quite low for a major city, especially for one with an extensive public transit system. The RTA Rapid Transit has two stations in Lakewood (see map below) one at 117th Street and the other on Triskett Road.

Lakewood, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.onelakewood.com/
http://www.riderta.com/pdf/maps/System_Map_Rapid.pdf

Old 06-15-2012, 03:11 PM

93,319 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
All medium sized Northeastern have high crime compared to what? What effects one area of a city doesn't necessarily effect another part of town too.

Pittsburgh may work for most of your criteria, OP. A city that would fit all of the criteria is Ithaca NY, but it is smaller with about 30,000 people. It is a college town with a good bus system, diversity, a big vegan/vegetarian scene, liberal, largely safe, a good live music scene, a good art scene, is on Cayuga Lake in the Finger Lakes region and more.

I know in Upstate NY, the healthcare industry is doing well and if the cities up here bother you, there are some nice suburbs right next to the cities. Many are relatively affordable. There are nice urban neighborhoods that may still interest you up here as well.

Here is some information that may interest you: Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide

New York State Hospital Profile (just click on a county and it will show what hospitals are there)

Central New York Jobs

New York Transit Links

ithaca ny apartments - Google Search

Visit Ithaca

Old 06-15-2012, 03:41 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
NY is always pushing healthcare jobs like there's no tomorrow.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:32 AM

5 posts, read 6,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Philadelphia, and most would argue DC, are glaring omissions from that statement.

In terms of the OP, I would actually consider Pittsburgh. I'm not sure if you'd want to tend toward the coastal Northeast, but it really does fit all of your criteria (even for all of the issues that its transportation system is going through right now). Worcester, Massachusetts or Providence may be good options, as well.
I had considered going closer to the coast because I love the beach but I also like hiking trails, woods etc. I don't think I'll be able to get both. Besides Worcester, are there any other cities within Massachusetts that fit? I might just have to check out Providence a bit more. Thank you so much!

Quote:
I do have a car but on occasion do like getting around on a bus as well. I just don't want to end up feeling detached. In other words I'd like a place that's not only great within but the surrounding is just as interesting to visit an can be accessible not just by car. I'm aware crime happens in most cities, if everywhere but I'm sure there has to be a difference in comparison with the medium range cities in the Northeast. I do not intend to live directly in the city itself but as close to comfort as can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In terms of fulfilling all of your criteria (most notably charming, low crime and nice/down to earth people) you might look at Cleveland's inner ring suburb of Lakewood. It's a dense, walkable community on the shores of Lake Erie just west of Cleveland and an easy commute into most of Cleveland. The cost of living is quite low for a major city, especially for one with an extensive public transit system. The RTA Rapid Transit has two stations in Lakewood (see map below) one at 117th Street and the other on Triskett Road.

Lakewood, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
City of Lakewood, Ohio
http://www.riderta.com/pdf/maps/System_Map_Rapid.pdf
Ohio may just be a bit too far than were willing to travel, thank you nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
All medium sized Northeastern have high crime compared to what? What effects one area of a city doesn't necessarily effect another part of town too.

Pittsburgh may work for most of your criteria, OP. A city that would fit all of the criteria is Ithaca NY, but it is smaller with about 30,000 people. It is a college town with a good bus system, diversity, a big vegan/vegetarian scene, liberal, largely safe, a good live music scene, a good art scene, is on Cayuga Lake in the Finger Lakes region and more.

I know in Upstate NY, the healthcare industry is doing well and if the cities up here bother you, there are some nice suburbs right next to the cities. Many are relatively affordable. There are nice urban neighborhoods that may still interest you up here as well.

Here is some information that may interest you: Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide

New York State Hospital Profile (just click on a county and it will show what hospitals are there)

Central New York Jobs

New York Transit Links

ithaca ny apartments - Google Search

Visit Ithaca
Ithaca seems like a place that would fit with our vibe. Outdoor /indoor food markets, lively yet with an undisclosed laid back atmosphere, Parks, etc but it seems a bit isolated and small. I will check out some of the other areas of NY you've mentioned. Thank you again!

Old 06-16-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryz.Bon View Post
I had considered going closer to the coast because I love the beach but I also like hiking trails, woods etc. I don't think I'll be able to get both. Besides Worcester, are there any other cities within Massachusetts that fit? I might just have to check out Providence a bit more. Thank you so much!

I do have a car but on occasion do like getting around on a bus as well. I just don't want to end up feeling detached. In other words I'd like a place that's not only great within but the surrounding is just as interesting to visit an can be accessible not just by car. I'm aware crime happens in most cities, if everywhere but I'm sure there has to be a difference in comparison with the medium range cities in the Northeast. I do not intend to live directly in the city itself but as close to comfort as can get.

Ohio may just be a bit too far than were willing to travel, thank you nonetheless.

Ithaca seems like a place that would fit with our vibe. Outdoor /indoor food markets, lively yet with an undisclosed laid back atmosphere, Parks, etc but it seems a bit isolated and small. I will check out some of the other areas of NY you've mentioned. Thank you again!
Just to be fair, Ithaca is only an hour away from Syracuse, as well as areas like Binghamton and Elmira. Rochester is about 2 hours away.

As for other Upstate cities, I'd say to look at areas near colleges/universities. For instance, a potential community that could fit is Brockport. It has its own hospital, a state college, is a walkable village about. 20 minutes from Rochester, is close to Lake Ontario, has the Erie Canal going through it and more.

Lakeside Health System - Employment

Village of Brockport NY - Home Page

Brockport NY - the Greater Brockport Chamber of Commerce

The College at Brockport: State University of New York

Brockport, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brockport Apartments for Rent | Brockport NY Apartment Finder

Old 06-16-2012, 01:56 PM

This may work too: https://jobsatupstate.peopleadmin.co...=1339875338465

New York State Hospital Profile

Why Choose North Medical, P.C.?

FamilyCare Medical Group, PC - Medical Center West - 5700 W Genesee St. Suite 109n Camillus , NY 13031 FamilyCare Medical Group CNY

Careers - Syracuse VA Medical Center

Westcott, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Westcott Street Cultural Fair

Westcott

Westcott East Neighborhood Association

The Westcott Theater

Thornden Park Association - Syracuse NY
City of Syracuse - Department of Parks, Recreation & Youth Programs

UNPA - University Neighborhood Preservation Association

Southeast University Neighborhood Association

City of Syracuse - Department of Parks, Recreation & Youth Programs

Maplewood Apartment Homes Apartments for Rent | Syracuse NY Apartments on Apartmentfinder.com (Very close to the Westcott neighborhood)

Home » Onondaga County Parks

Downtown Syracuse

Eastwood, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tipperary Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Little Italy, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hawley-Green Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marshall Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Central New York and Syracuse Festivals | News, Photos, Videos, Events Listings and More - syracuse.com

Visit Syracuse :: Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

SUNY-ESF, SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry

Syracuse University

Le Moyne. Spirit. Inquiry. Leadership. Jesuit

Onondaga Community College

and more.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.